The Corroboree
seta

Treating dog athritis

Hey guys does anyone know of any natural remedies for an old dog with athritis?

We just picked up an old Golden Retreiver that was going to be put down and she has a pretty stiff rear end that could do with a bit of oiling up.

any suggestions?

cheers

Edited by seta
  • Like 1

I dont really know but i remember my grandmother never walked her dog and he was old and barely mobile/stiff so i would encourage him to walk and after a couple of months he improved drastically, we would do a couple of laps around the block, im not sure if it was arthritis tho or just an old lazy dog, apart from that maybe some gotu kola chopped up into her food each day may help? i reckon a massage each day would be pretty pleasent for her also : )

• Like 1

Swimming is very good exercise that may help loosen her up as its very low impact.... not to sure of anything else but maybe some Gotu kola may help...

Haha beat me to it Bardo

Edited by jwerta
  • Like 1

Parsley ....hard sometimes to get an older dog to eat it.

It can be hidden, mine will eat it fresh out of hand.

Its not a "cure", but it helps, and they get other goodies from it

EDIT - dont give a dog a heap in one go, they have a hard time breaking it down

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

My work coleague swears by a tin of sardenes a day. Apparently it works wonders and what pooch wouldnt like that?

We use green lipped mussel capsules and just some fish oil capsules. Hope this helps

• Like 2

Remedies for Arthritis in Dogs: Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate cod liver oil.

make sure u get ya dogs wieght right before dosing up!!

also this<><>><<

Hills Canine Senior
Made with real chicken with natural ingredients. - Provides precisely balanced, easy-to-digest nutrition to promote youthful vitality. - Restores youthful energy in 30 days. - Enriched with Omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin E to improve skin and coat in 30 days. - Contains natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin for joints and mobility. Hill's Science Diet Mature Adult Active Longevity Original dog food provides precisely balanced nutrition to sustain mobility and muscle mass. Hills Science Diet dog food is made with high quality protein to maintain lean muscle and is enriched with Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulphate for healthy joints. Hills Science Diet dog food also has controlled levels of Sodium and Phosphorus for long-term vital organ health. Recommended For Mature adult dogs 7 years and older. Not Recommended For Puppies, pregnant or nursing dogs. « less
Edited by bullit
  • Like 2

One of my old dobermanns got pretty sore towards the later years, and although its not exactly a natural remedy, the vet used to give her a shot of some stuff called Cartrophen and it seemed to work brilliantly and lasted for several weeks.

One of my old dobermanns got pretty sore towards the later years, and although its not exactly a natural remedy, the vet used to give her a shot of some stuff called Cartrophen and it seemed to work brilliantly and lasted for several weeks.

yeah vets will give this shit to any crippling dog! lazy lazy people!!

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions guys. She's been living in a dog run for the past year so I don't think she's had much exercise, she's keen to follow our kelpie pup around so hopefully that might help build up the muscles.
I gave her a bunch of fresh sardines for dinner tonight, so might make that a weekly think if you think it helps.

I'll mix some tumeric, parsley and gotu cola in with some rice and her roo meat and get her onto a mainly raw meat diet.

thanks again for the help

I found sardines gave my dogs diarrhoea. Maybe a little at a time at first?! Tumeric is a good idea.

Keep us posted seta. I am interested to hear how the retriever goes. I only want to hear good news though ( meaning it will be good news, lol ) :)

• Like 2

plenty of people swear by cannabis balms for arthritis, prolly work fine enough on dogs too.

Not sure if hemp seed oil is any good as a substitute.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/cannabis-cream/180317-pain-cream-using-only-2-grams-made-many-times.html

http://www.cannabis.info/us/abc/30006798-how-to-make-cannabalm&hloc=1

hope it helps

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

welcome seta !!

I'm loving the glucosamine sulphate with added chondroitin Idea by bullit and seconding it very much!

, was only the other day someone asked me about arthiritis too

and turmeric 2nded!

sardines feel rich to me but if it's worked then all power to ya

but polysaccharides from fungi look very promising indeed so rec' anyone to dive into "scholarly articles on polysaccharides in fungi"

heck yeah @Halcyon

theres a nice rick simpson vid on youtube somewhere ( i have no time to find it today yet)

where dogs been healed of allsorts by cannabinoids

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Adding green lipped mussel (not the fresh mussels but the powder) to the chondroitin and glucosamine mix makes all the difference.

Buying pet branded stuff is usually heaps more expensive than buying human stuff and adjusting the dose accordingly.

• Like 1

I would stay away from cannabis and its oils for this one.. it can cause harm. I've seen it. dont think serious, but feak-outs at mind blowing low doses isnt any good. It wont help. (my opinion)

there is a way though I'm sure of it. I and a friend are living proof and now after job losses, and several years of increasing pain, we have our lives back again, for good. This one should be cakewalk. It offered no challenge what-so-ever to me to cure. easiest to date. took me less than two weeks to find cure for this in human. 2 out of 2 success.

pm sent.

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1

Be really careful what kind of herbs you feed to your dog. Herbs that are beneficial to people arnt necessarily good for dogs too, and can actually poison and kill them.

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 6