The Corroboree
ebene

Goa Trance

This era of trance around 1995 to 1998 is easily the highpoint of electronic dance music in my humble opinion.

And the top 5 all time best goa albums are as follows:

MFG - The Prophecy

Hallucinogen - Twisted

Etnica - Alien Protein

Cosmosis - Cosmology

The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird

Also, not that it's quite up there with goa but Union Jack - "There will be no Armageddon" deserves special mention.

Feel free to add your own favourites!

• Like 1

All those TIP compilations, yellow, orange, blue, phosphorescent, beyond colour were the Bomb. the compilations, mystery of the yeti, one and two. were pretty special too.

Hallucinogen- Twisted i think is number one imo,

The inifinity project were amazing.

but i cant give you a top five.

• Like 1

Sid Shanti & tetsuya suzuki...

Spelling could be wrong but mid 90's Goa trance...

Transcentral - a trip to Goa compilations...

Back in the day & what awesome parties ;)

• Like 1

the Tantrance series were my favorite goa/psy compilations in the mid to late 90's

blew my mind at 14 when i heard it for the first time.

it was this album the first time i ever heard Goa/psytrance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720X2DUVBW8

this is the first psy album i ever bought a few years later, this album has got some absolute classics.. if i was playing parties these days i wouldn't hesitate to play lots of these tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7C1sGehTfk

i know hearing it on youtube is an anticlimax but the first time i heard this track on a big system in the bush i think i creamed.. although it may not be considered Goa, is maybe more some kind of early progressive with a goa flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-guJjELIsw

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

All those TIP compilations, yellow, orange, blue, phosphorescent, beyond colour were the Bomb. the compilations, mystery of the yeti, one and two. were pretty special too.

Hallucinogen- Twisted i think is number one imo,

The inifinity project were amazing.

but i cant give you a top five.

Ooh yeah! lots of great stuff to be found on compilations indeed. Though I usually enjoy more the complete listening experience of an album as-a-whole, comps actually work really well in goa-trance where you had these often very short lived side-projects producing only one of two tracks.

This one comes to mind!

Actually it's a real pity they didn't make a full album of this kind of material.

Thanks to all for all other recommendations BTW.

@Paradox, I actually much prefer the earlier proto-goa 'acid'-trance style to the genres it later evolved into (all types of psy-trance)

Still I won't deny I probably haven't looked hard enough into whether there is actually much good modern psy-trance out there. I'm sure there must be.

But when I say 'good' I'm referring to that which carries a certain spirit; in goa-trance this is undoubtedly the energy, the synths, the complexity in simplicity etc

And of course some of you might be aware that goa started making a bit of a comeback??

Not quite there yet imho butsome of it has magic in it for sure

@Paradox, I actually much prefer the earlier proto-goa 'acid'-trance style to the genres it later evolved into (all types of psy-trance)

Yeah fair enough. I'm not a huge fan of much of the more recent psytrance incarnations either. Of course there are a bunch of notable exceptions to that... i think my preferences are biased due to what was going on back in the day when it was still fresh & exciting & mysterious to me.. personally i can really appreciate some of the good stuff that came out around the late 90's. looking back it's clear to see the stuff i'm referring to was some way along that evolution from oldschool goa to what we kind of generally think of as contemporary psytrance.

At the time that evolving hybrid stuff was so fresh & kinda 'futuristic' but psytrance & the scene in general was still fresh too & evolving in really interesting ways, well before it became pretty much mainstream & psytrance was painfully formulaic like it mostly is nowadays. That stuff in my opinion had the best elements of goa & the best elements of the more contemporary sound but was neither.. but thats just me, it takes me back to a magical time.. i can definitely much appreciate that more classic goa/acid sound you're into!

• Like 1

Loving the heck out of The Prophecy album ebene.

Can anyone recommend some quintessential Dark Psy albums? Or just some classic albums that really stood out at the time of their release for being different and awesome. I love the darker, higher bpm side of psy trance. Anything alongs those lines would be much appreciated.

Cheers

If ya all like Psy there's some awesome parties happening throughout the year.

Not so much Goa stuff but def inklings of it...

Check out Psyfari festival in late August in a beautiful Valley just past the Blue Mtns.

Great visuals, great vibe, great music & such a nice location....

There's even some goa psy in the genre line up - but I find there are too many genres these days....dark, cronk, glunk,pro psy, early morning psy, midday psy.... its kinda all psy at the end of the night or day.... Just my opinion.....

The DJ is either good, awesome or shite or somewhere inbetween !! ;) but the setting & people is where its at.....

I do help out with some stuff on this party but just saying its a nice weekend away !! ;) Ya all should come!

& it aint all psy - there is even acoustic sets & all manner of things.

There's a bunch of crews putting on good parties this year!!

Meant to say check out the Psyfari line up on Facebook, then find the genre of your choice & go Soundcloud that shite...

Most of them are local Australian music so supporting good causes!

Some for most of the parties happening in NSW...

Its a reasonable starting point to find some good AU producers

There are some pretty up & coming stuff being produced!

Loving the heck out of The Prophecy album ebene.

Can anyone recommend some quintessential Dark Psy albums? Or just some classic albums that really stood out at the time of their release for being different and awesome. I love the darker, higher bpm side of psy trance. Anything alongs those lines would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah that MFG album is really one of a kind. I think it has to do with the fact they originally started off as a dark industrial outfit and were also one of the very few groups that actually abstained from the forbidden fruits. But I love any old stuff by Etnica/Pleiedians too!

I would definitely be keen to check out some more psy -oriented albums myself, as I'm sure there must be good stuff out there and I like trying to narrow stuff down to top five lists and such. So any recommendations from anyone would be much appreciated.

• Like 1