The Corroboree
Gimli

3 Aussie ISIS members want to return home...

Every invading and conquering army, nation and empire through history has destroyed artifacts. This includes all the western civilizations that paved the way with the freedoms we enjoy today blah. I almost felt sick saying that

Physically destroying anothers culture is a cunt act.

With all the ISIS fear in Australia(n media) lately there've been some comparisons of their destroying of sacred sites to what we've done in our own backyard. I can't find the stuff I've read just now, but it doesn't take much effort to see that stuff like this http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/17/red-hill-quarry-expansion-will-destroy-extremely-significant-indigenous-site or this http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/sacred-sites-destroyed-by-nsw-mine/story-fn3dxiwe-1226808844410 basically replaces religious justifications for the destruction of sacred sites with economic ones (and let's face it, for ISIS relgious ideology and economic expansion are intertwined).

This thread started off as a discussion about how the state should treat citizens who have gone overseas to fight for foreign forces. I reckon its a good idea to take an even closer look in our own backyard to see how well we uphold the standards we expect from foriegn states and cultures. Instead of worrying that a foreign social or legal system is going to replace ours, why not look at how to make our cultural values of equality, a fair go, etc. more prominent, ingrained, and resilient so they can sustain any (real or imaginary) attacks from other belief systems?

• Like 2

the statues and etc they shown destroying in iraq were infact replicas, the real ones were shipped out during the last iraq war? or the one before that but the real artefacts are probably sitting in donald rumsfeld's basement :wink: can't speak for the ancient syrian cities they've recently taken over

Edited by DiscoStu
  • Like 2

With all the ISIS fear in Australia(n media) lately there've been some comparisons of their destroying of sacred sites to what we've done in our own backyard. I can't find the stuff I've read just now, but it doesn't take much effort to see that stuff like this http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/17/red-hill-quarry-expansion-will-destroy-extremely-significant-indigenous-site or this http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/sacred-sites-destroyed-by-nsw-mine/story-fn3dxiwe-1226808844410 basically replaces religious justifications for the destruction of sacred sites with economic ones (and let's face it, for ISIS relgious ideology and economic expansion are intertwined).

This thread started off as a discussion about how the state should treat citizens who have gone overseas to fight for foreign forces. I reckon its a good idea to take an even closer look in our own backyard to see how well we uphold the standards we expect from foriegn states and cultures. Instead of worrying that a foreign social or legal system is going to replace ours, why not look at how to make our cultural values of equality, a fair go, etc. more prominent, ingrained, and resilient so they can sustain any (real or imaginary) attacks from other belief systems?

i thought your avatar was identical to someones... racketemensch!

those are both excellent points, not that i have the slightest fear of a muslim minority changing what australia is. as your post hints, the biggest threats to australia come from it's own worst flaws.

capitalist greed.

a sense of being a bigger international player than we are, yet lacking the spine to forge our own path without pandering to foreign interests.

conservative politicians.

and so forth