The Corroboree
Scarecrow

Quick question re: field guides

I'm looking at buying a nice field manual for mushroom foraging, but I haven't had much luck finding out what is actually covered in such books. I'm just wondering if anybody can point me to a good guide with content relevant to Australia that definitely covers psychoactives? For science, of course.

Edited by glimpse

for the south my hunting bible atm is Bruce Fuhrer's guide to australian fungi

I've just learnt that theres another good one to get called A field guide to tasmanian fungi by Genevieve gates and David Ratkowsky, 5 mins before i saw this i just ordered it :)

here is the link

http://fungimap.org.au/index.php/bookshop/australian-field-guides/results,1-30

it the only place i found the tassy field guide, didn't look very hard though, but i reckon you'd be able to get the Bruce Fuhrer one for 20-30$.

i know the Fuhrer book has a half page on subs, its ok.

Paul Stamets, Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World is a good book

• Like 2

Bruce Fuhrer's guide to australian fungi (some edibility comments)

A field guide to tasmanian fungi by Genevieve gates and David Ratkowsky - No edibility comments, Gen does not advocate the eating of wild mushrooms in any way.

many mycologists and interested persons use these together. they complement each other well. just remeber that the Fuhrer book is getting a little dated due to name changes.

In terms of psychoactive mushrooms, Paul Stamets Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World is ok, but fairly general. whatever you do dont buy the painted one, mushroom magick, its a waste of money.

Edibility, well, you will have to refer to english or american guides.

• Like 1

rogers mushrooms site and his book but minimal on the psys and is a uk one

but none the less indispensible

book_10.jpg

every damn one of Paul stamets books is even more indispensible

these are the faves of mine and there's the psy one pim mentioned , number 3

mycelium%20running.jpgGrowing_Gourmet_Medicinal_Mushrooms.jpg415953.jpgthe_mushroom_cultivator.jpg

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

That Rogers guide is quite excellent. if you want a guide that helps ID the European fungi that have been surreptitiously brought to Australia, this would be the one. It was using this guide i was able to positively ID the Psilocybe semilanceata i found here in my region.

i wish there was guide like this for Australia, the way it is layed out is stunning, esp with all the associated species, and the colour photos of the specimens. It is a guide for positively ID'ing, if i were to ever write a field guide i would use it as the model for how to lay it out and display specimens.

Another stunning guide is Mushrooms demystified by David Arora. As is the audubon field guide to north american mushrooms.

• Like 2

neat, i'll have a look. thanks guys

Do you really need a book for identifying psychoactive Psilocybins in Australia... there's like 4 groups max.

Psilocybe cubensis, Panaeolus cyanescens, Psilocybe subaeruginosa and Psilocybe semilanceata. Print out their Wikipedia page...

Edited by mesq

Do you really need a book for identifying psychoactive Psilocybins in Australia... there's like 4 groups max.

Psilocybe cubensis, Panaeolus cyanescens (and friends), Psilocybe subaeruginosa (and friends?) and Psilocybe semilanceata. Print out their Wikipedia page...

I know that's being a bit generic... but hey

i guess for what its worth i was trying to encourage interest in other fungi as well, not just psychoactives.

if your going to spend all that time, money and effort its worth understanding all the other species, edible or not.

• Like 2