The Corroboree
Chrissy Star

Delosperma cooperi (pretty pink thing on Rainbow Beach)

Delosperma cooperi - iceplant, pink ice, pretty pink thing on the beach...she makes me wonder, does anyone know:

- Bushfood ???

- Ethno-knowledge??

- Toxins to be removed??

- Fab molecules ???

Could anyone advise me on where to find info regarding this plant please? The peas look mighty tasty, the leaf looks mighty useful for soups...the flowers, um, didn't try em....am I gonna die now?

Or can any phytochemists advise of toxin screening methods for australian succulents?

I am interested in assessing this plant as a bushfood or medicine. Please advise on sites that may have up to date scientific literature regarding this would be great thanks.

Is that proper english? Please forgive.

Namaste.

post-10700-0-35425600-1431683822_thumb.j

post-10700-0-34565800-1431683827_thumb.j

post-10700-0-63430400-1431683830.jpg

post-10700-0-35425600-1431683822_thumb.jpg

post-10700-0-34565800-1431683827_thumb.jpg

post-10700-0-35425600-1431683822_thumb.jpg

post-10700-0-34565800-1431683827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrissy Star
  • Like 1

na, i dont think so.

Its a carpobrotus glaucescens

you can make a jam out of the fruit. or suck moisture from the leaves but its pretty Meh.

I dont believe Delosperma grow naturally in Australia.

[edit for correct species :P ]

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 4

carpobrotus i think, aussie rambler or pigs face?? i think.....i think i heard it can be used to ease insect bites

edit: produces a red-purple berry fruit, which was used by the native aborigines as a food source. The flesh of the fruit is said to have a taste similar to salty apples. The roasted leaves have been used as a salt substitute. Early European explorers used the plant as an anti-scurvy treatment. The juice of the leaves can also be used to relieve pain from insect bites.

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2005/carpobrotus-glaucescens.html

Edited by glimpse
  • Like 1

Watch out for the oxalic acid in these plants (either species).

If you do find D.cooperi somewhere, then there may be some interesting things in it - it's sounding tricky to extract though.

Pig face. You can use the juice from these to get rid of warts also. Just break open a fresh piece and rub it over any warts. Morning and evening.

Watch out for the oxalic acid in these plants (either species).

If you do find D.cooperi somewhere, then there may be some interesting things in it - it's sounding tricky to extract though.

For anyone that is interested in getting this, Bunnings sells D. Cooperi (or at least something that is labled as D. Cooperi) as well as other Delosperma species.

• Like 1

I tried some fruit last time i went to the beach, there is not much flesh in them but they taste ok(ish) : )

they are in my bush tucker book, it states the leaves are used to add a salty flavour to dishes

Edited by bardo
  • Like 2

You can tell if the fruits are ripe as they will have ants around them. when they are perfect they are quite nice.