The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LOPHSalot90

beware of verne

Was sold a "t.Peruvianus" by an eBay seller for a pretty high price. Only to find that it was a cuzcoensis.. :( don't make the mistake I did

Your name made me lophsalot , its a good choice for a username :)

This is already a known issue and I suggest you leave him a negetive rating although I doubt he cares because Verne knows that he sells Cuzcoensis. Its sad that he's got really nice specimens mixed in with pretty much trash as far as actives go.

Haven't you noticed that some of his P.Torches are like 25.00$ while the others are $54.95 , I assume the cheaper ones are less active , but I still would never trust the guy because all he cares about is money

I would post a pic of it but incontrovertible know how from my phone lol. It's beautiful. But now what it was advertised as :/ I plan on leaving him a negative rating. People suck sometimes... Live and learn I guess

"Title your listing something like Trichocereus Cuzcoensis, DO NOT LOOK AT. That automatically makes everyone curious & of course everyone will read your listing"

Inception :D

• Like 1

Wow. Wish we could do something.. *shaking my head*

you can also pray for his soul, this guy is seriously tormented...

LOL zelly .... that is effing gold.... i WISH i woulda thought of that. I at least managed to get my VERNE + CUZCO post to show up quite regularly on google now ;)

Edited by magical9

I'm not touching 'peruvianus' complex taxonomy with a pole, but all I can say is that plant looks very nice, great really, I don't see what's the problem. That person's actions and words make him look like a douchebag tough, innacurate taxonomy doesn't seem to be his worst sin.

Btw, I have a very similar plant that came from pachanoi seed, so what should I call it? Only thing I can be certain of is that the fruit formed on a plant labeled as pachanoi.

Well yeah, I really don´t want to defend him but I feel like the whole Cuzcoensis thing is blown out of proportion. Most commercial sellers don´t even know what their seed is, because they buy it as Trichocereus Peruvianus and that´s the tag they´ll use if they grow plants to sell. Seed collectors don´t know the difference and that´s where the real problem comes from. Knize is selling a handfull of Cuzco aligned plants as Macrogonus or Peruvianus and I am not surprised that people sell them as what they originally bought them as. I currently have a couple types that I got from collectors where I do not really know how they will turn out to be. I mean, I understand that it´s not ok to sell Cuzcoensis as Peruvianus and most people in this scene wouldnt even think about knowingly doing that, because they know what to look for. I mean, if I´d buy a plant with a label like Peruvianus Ancash or KK1670 Longispinis, I´d keep it, despite the fact that they are from the cuzco complex.

There probably are a couple hundred people who know those plants good enough to note the difference and I if you buy seed, you don´t even have the chance to see the mother plants most of the time. So yeah, if he knew (which is very possible) it´s not ok and I would definitely not buy from him again, or at least request the type you paid for, but it´s really not a bad plant. Don´t buy all that Anti-Cuzco propaganda because there are crazy cuzcos that are even cooler than some types of Peruvianus. Check out the plants from the Sacred Succulents field trip on the trichocereus website. I understand why you´re pissed though.

• Like 3

Aren't the description of q species enough for them to relable they're Cacti after they grow them from seeds?

Or least, say they look like this species but the seeds were labeled as another species?

I believe this can give enough room for us to conclude that either the seeds were mislabeled or the plant itself was pollinated by another species.

Edited by Philocacti

But what makes this a cuzco? Just the swolen spine base? How can anyone be certain this is definitely cuzcoensis? There is great variation in the peruvianus complex, and the 'borders' among 'species' are very fluid.

Most growers don't hand-pollinate their plants, like is the usual practice by the 'proper breeders' here. IMO it's entirely possible the seed came from a 'real peruvianus'. So would it be OK to label this plant something like 'T. peruvianus open pollinated'?

Btw, I just want to make it perfectly clear I'm not defending this guy in any way, but I also don't like this whole demonization of T. cuzcoensis, which I find a quite lovely and desirable plant.

Edited by Berengar

Cuszcoensis has this unique pattern on the growing tip, like a S shape on new forming ribs.

post-6382-0-42956900-1431531396_thumb.jp

Its different in peruvianus and pachanoi.

Edit - btw this cuszcoensis came from a seed pack from Koehres labeled peruvianus.

post-6382-0-42956900-1431531396_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-42956900-1431531396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philocacti
  • Like 2

I believe verne sowed seeds from Kohere's batch of Peruvianus - which some technically align with cuzcoensis.. , Cuzcoensis are bad ass cactus if you "just want to grow them for their aesthetics. I think cuzcos are suppose to have more than one radial spine which i think is the easiest distinction between them and Peruvianus.

• Like 1

DAMN THOSE AREOLA's ARE LIKE FOOTBALLS!

I had an ex like that that..

• Like 3

Don't really understand the problem.. did you not look at the photos of the cactus before you bid on it? Its pretty clear which of verne's "peruvianus" are actually peruvianus (Icaros seed) and which are on the cuzco spectrum (Koehres seed).

Edited by Ohlone
  • Like 2

Its pretty clear which of verne's "peruvianus" are actually peruvianus (Icaros seed) and which are on the cuzco spectrum (Koehres seed).

Is it also pretty clear which are the ones verne purchased from Jiimz using his ebay buyers account??

What?? You didnt know verne buys trichs from Jiimz & resells them as his own??

• Like 2

tell us more zelly TELL US MOAR!

whats to tell?

In Jan 2014 verne purchased 1100 seeds from me using his buyers account on ebay. (Yep, I have a complete listing of what he bought)

So then I started reading his feedback from other sellers as well as feedback he left for others.

I've never seen so many negative feedbacks left for others, its pretty damn entertaining to say the least.

In a way its really really sad. As Ogun says, verne is seriously tormented.

Jiimz left him positive feedback 5-6 times that i could see, but verne didnt return the feedback.

• Like 2

Well, on another note, "when something is too good to be true it probably is".

I bought a flat of bridgesii cuts from him in my novice days, for a reasonable $55 or so.

I was so happy when they arrived, 6-7 big cuts of bridgesii. Upon unwrapping them I noticed (as he put it) "small signs of black rot" were actually huge spots of fungal or bacterial infection that somehow all managed to be on the backside during the photographing of the cuttings. There were huge black rings all over the cuttings.

It get's worse. After about 2 weeks I started noticing serious scarring on all the tips. I got out a magnifying glass and sure enough, RED SPIDER MITES. It was too late, they spread to most of my rooting cacti and took weeks of thorough care to eradicate.

BUYING FROM VERNE WAS AN ABSOLUTE DISASTER! AVOID LIKE THE PLAGuE BECAUSE IT WILL PLAGUE YOUR OTHER CACTI!

"If something seems too good to be true, it probably is"

Edited by Happyconcacti

How about all the cuttings Jiimz gets from Altmans?