The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

is t. huarazensis really juuls giant?

i see there's still some disagreement on this is there any confirmation ??

Edited by DiscoStu

I would have thought Zelly could say something about this with some authority, he has both at flowering stage, doesn't he? I wonder if he's tried to cross pollinate them.

Huarazensis x Juuls Giant 30 seeds $4.00 Sold Out!

Juuls Giant x Huarazensis 30 seeds $3.00 New!

pixel.gif

both ways!

can't believe u guys don't know misplant stock by heart ;-)

if It isn't self fertile(??) i guess they must have some genetic diversity????

Edited by doublebenno
  • Like 1

Huarazensis x Juuls Giant 30 seeds $4.00 Sold Out!

Juuls Giant x Huarazensis 30 seeds $3.00 New!

pixel.gif

both ways!

can't believe u guys don't know misplant stock by heart ;-)

I knew he had the plants, I just couldn't be bothered to check his website. ;)

Question answered though! Good work Benno!

• Like 1

anyone info on the origins of huarazensis? obviously comes from huaraz region but when/how/who collected?

anyone info on the origins of huarazensis? obviously comes from huaraz region but when/how/who collected?

rumor has it the original collector's initials are KK

rumor also has it that a certain US collector imported various tricho plants from KK, huarazensis being one of them.

Then eventually said US collector traded some of his plants among a close knit group of friends.

Or so the story goes.......

Yeah, so KK collected a plant in "Huaraz" and pooped out a fitting name for it probably without any thought as to the importance of whether or not this was a single plant growing in someones ornamental container in the city of Huaraz (370.03 km2 / 142.87 sq mi) or a full stand of plants on some god forsaken hillside somewhere in Huaraz province (2,492.91 km2 / 962.52 sq mi).

Pretty plant if you have the same plant as I do.

~Michael~

Pretty plant if you have the same plant as I do.

Implying its not so pretty if its not the same plant as yours? :wink:

I received Huarazensis plants that originally came from Knize once. And that was in 2007-2009. 100%! I still remember because the plant was confusing as it had more ribs than Scop, but which was very close to it apart from that.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how the huarazensis compared to the huanucoensis besides the obvious location.

I used to confuse the two names and they seem like similar looking plants, both short spined pachanoid types.

Edited by Psyentist

Huarazensis has no or if at all only very fine, nearly invisible spines while Huanucoensis usually has some. The Distance between the areoles on Huarazensis should be smaller than on Huanucoensis. The areoles on Huarazensis are more oval/quadrangular while the ones on Huanucoensis are more rounded. The overall shape of Huanucoensis is more rounded, while Huarazensis is straighter. Huanucoensis has very broad ribs and tends to have fewer ribs. But we only know very few types from Huaraz and there definitely are more than what we currently know so take that with a grain of salt. Besides, rib count can vary greatly and while most of the Huarazensis I know ended up having 6-7 ribs, it´s definitely possible to come across Huanus with a similar rib count. This is not a real science and every plant can be different.

Compare those two pics from misplant´s website and you see the differences.

Huanucoensis-1.jpg

This first pic shows the Huanucoensis. And now the Huarazensis.

Huarazensis-8.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 6

Where can I get these plants or seed?

I have both crossed with other Trichs but neither pure!

They are beautiful and I want!

Getafix

• Like 2

Check out zelly's pictures of 2 types of huanucoensis at Huntington gardens..[link,post#6]

I like the spineless one /.. zelly collect some pollen next time please..!! :):) /14510201635_6423787dbc_o.jpg

• Like 4

Sacred Succulents has Huanucoensis. Not sure about Huarazensis though. It´s really rare and Misplant is the only one I know besides Nitrogen who is actively breeding with it.

• Like 1

so do we call huarazenis "trichocerus pachanoi var 'huarazensis'"

it's not actually a recognised species is it?

also is there a huarazensis x huanucoensis cross?

so do we call huarazenis "trichocerus pachanoi var 'huarazensis'"

it's not actually a recognised species is it?

also is there a huarazensis x huanucoensis cross?

Yes technically that is what it would be - it's similar to how people call "T. Lumberjackus" as such instead of "T. bridgesii v. Lumberjackus"- though in the case of Lumberjackus it is a bit less clear a some people think it is a bridgesii hybrid rather than pure bridgesii..

Huarazensis and Juules are not the same strain though, that is for sure..

No, none of them is a real species. Huarazensis is a Pachanoi from around Huaraz that might be related to a Scop because it looks very much like one. The large number of ribs and some of the features point to Pachanoi instead of Scop. But again, it´s possibly a hybrid and Scop could have played a role in it. We don´t know.

And Huanucoensis is just another regional type. It´s pretty cool and unique but modern taxonomy would simply regard it as a Pachanoi.

I have the Huarazensis and honestly, I don't see anything "scopulicolesque" about it, it looks 100% pachanoi to me. Superb cactus, very nice colors.

• Like 1

I agree - the similarity is only in the very short spines..

Thanks heaps eg!

Extremely helpful, they are very different when you see them side by side.

I hadnt seen the huarazensis. I assumed it looked like the huancoensis.

I wondered why my huarazensis x n1 looked nothing at all like my huancoensis, I figured it got mostly bridgesii genes.

But now it all makes a bit more sense.

Huarazensis reminds me of the bogan clone a little with its closely spaced areoles, just minus the lovely red spines.