The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Retaining walls

We have to build two retaining walls both about 2.5 feet high and ofcourse our budget is way low.

After dreaming about rock and other expensive options we were considering trying earthbagging.

Anyone else used this method and can it be used for functional retaining walls or just aesthetic ones?

thanks heaps!!

Hey zen, earth bagging can build solid walls that will withstand earth quake, but i don't know if an engineering data has been created for side loads like those created by holding up/back soil. If you reinforced it somehow i am sure you would have no probs tho??? For how long would be the question. If you look at it logically tho, concrete besa blocks are used and things similar to do the same job, and there footprint is no where near the size od earth bag, so i would hazard a non civil engineering view that they would work effectively and if you cap the wall properly and seal it that it would be effective long term..

Reinforcement if actually needed only needs to be rebar spiked thru the bags at pre determined distances, and you would still use the barbed wire to locate lock. You can use rock as ur foundation or even bags of concrete laid in a trench for the distance of the wall you the puncture the bags with a spike etc, and water give 24-48 hours and start laying your bags. Cap with concrete and seal the bags side walls with bitumen or render or both

sorry, also, i read 2.5meters eyes working slower than brain, 2.5 feet is no prob i am certain, lol... no rein forcement required

Don't forget to stabilise the soil in bag with cement powder, the capping is to stop water from above the water proofing for water on the walls which may be a prob when used as a retainer. Over a meter i think it was and one needs walls re-inforced but less than a meter as this is its really just a garden wall and not an engineering feat, so you don't need to meet any requirements as far as i know??

Edited by in_spirit

Recycled tyres!!!!

post-13277-0-52734600-1430114064_thumb.j

post-13277-0-52734600-1430114064_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-52734600-1430114064_thumb.jpg

Haha thanks guys we thought about tyres actually. Yeah side load may be significant but its only 2.5 feet so not super high. Food for thought anyway. Id sooner put the effort in than pay someone $$$ and then come home to a crappy job

no major loading if only 2.5 ft, still make sure there is drainage behind it....

(or weep holes in face....I still recommend drainage but)

still gotta make sure the foundation is not slop or "Vegemite"

earthbag would work well for that application.

above 1.1m in Tas needs engineering done, not sure of other states.

EDIT ^ be about the same height, under 3ft no

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies ill think it over. Room wise wife now thinks we might need h frames with pine sleepers. Ugly...

I've been thinking about the earth bags for some garden beds. I'm with you, not into the treated pine for anything.

lol....what wife wants - wife builds Zen :wink:

• Like 2

Hey WB.

If one can get away with walls less than 1.1m high, how far apart would said walls need to be if one needed to step down say 3m?

I had the same problem and went through the range of options - starting with my own hand shaped dry rock wall..etc all kinds of things.. i spent so much time thinking about it eventually I discovered some cement blocks that were on sale from $9 down to $4 in a colour nobody wanted. I bought as many as I could and it worked out alright.

There's an area of my garden I"m going to need a revamped retaining wall and I love the look of gabions - particularly with spotted gum covering the top like seating, but don't want to futz around too much or pay too much. I also very much love the look of galvanised corrugated iron which I'd imagine would be cheaper and also imagine it'd keep the soil behind it warmer. I'd assume the gabions would give better drainage though, so maybe it depends on your soil and what you want grown on top of it?

Pinterest is your friend...

http://pinterest.com/pin/356417757986317548/

Edited by FancyPants

Does depend on how close you want to push it Shortly....lol...but rule of thumb is

Terraces.jpg#

Does depend on the soil and its properties....otherwise you risk a "global failure"

where you will lose both walls and the shit behind them :wink:

City councils generally apply the above....country councils everything goes and it falls back on someone

else if it fails.

Have looked at some epic failures ( and costly) where someone builds multiple, stacked walls in an attempt to avoid an approval.

There's an area of my garden I"m going to need a revamped retaining wall and I love the look of gabions - particularly with spotted gum covering the top like seating, but don't want to futz around too much or pay too much. I also very much love the look of galvanised corrugated iron which I'd imagine would be cheaper and also imagine it'd keep the soil behind it warmer. I'd assume the gabions would give better drainage though, so maybe it depends on your soil and what you want grown on top of it?

Pinterest is your friend...

http://pinterest.com/pin/356417757986317548/

looks like you could just fab that onto an existing ugly wall fancypantsy? Obviously depending on the state of it to begin with I guess!

Yeah after yesterdays rain event (335mm from 3pm -8:30pm) i'm thinking 0.95m:4-5m - 0.95m:6-8m.

The soils are laterite with high slump at the top of the block and decomposed sand stone down the hill.

I'm now thinking we might be best to cut the "flat" ground to slope back toward the wall above it for a low swale (350mm) to slow the water a little.

Planning for (hopefully) the worst hoping for the best, expecting to be surprised.

• Like 1