The Corroboree
emcat

Eating A. muscaria?

So I've heard that it's possible to prepare Amanita muscaria as food - apparently they are delicious. You need to boil them to remove the toxins. However most of the sources are contradictory about how long you should boil them and how much water to use. Has anyone tried this?

Yeah I heard that too, but the times I have eaten them its been far from an epicurean experience.

• Like 2

I had a broth made from 3 or 4 of them and it was quite tasty.

• Like 2

i have seen them ontop of bread, but im not sure how they have cooked them to get to that point.

If you boil them hard and discard the water im pretty sure that renders then "safe".

• Like 2

They are very tasty, simmer till the cap loses the red color and panfry mmmmm.

• Like 1

eat the wagon wheel....lol

A Lithuanian mate informs me twice the volume of water to the volume of small mushroom ("button" not capped) , and 15-20 min on the slow boil (from boil) leaches out the water soluble stuff that is not good for a nice meal...lol

Then they pickled them.

Haven't tried it, was offered once by his mother but decided against it at the time due

to my "state" at the time. I'll eat them when the apocalypse comes....

I cannot vouch for the preparation, but it has come down through his generations. You might find something to correlate

it hammering search engines.

• Like 2

I remember reading about boiling them 3 times... which has me wondering, if the whole fucking taste goes away (actually they are intensely tasting mushrooms and acting as a flavour enhancer) , why the hell bother to eat them as a meal in the first place.

dry them instead and use up to half a gram of powder per meal (flavour enhancer use)

• Like 2

After they've been dried properly (most of read is that UV suns rays work the best), they're a delicious additive to a hearty herbal tea. I don't remember what else besides the chopped amanita I'd put in a tea years ago along with some caapi leaf, but it gave a mouth watering flavour (which I can't quite put my finger on exactly) which went perfectly alongside a smoked herb of a different kind to counteract drymouth. Also smoking a small amount of dried cap (about as much as fits in a cone) will also have the same benefits of crappy ol' drymouth.

So personally, when I FINALLY get a chance to go back to canada and find some of these beauties and dry them, I don't want to be boiling the hell out of them.

and don't drink carbonated soft drinks with them!!

• Like 2

I've no idea on the validity of it, though it's based around the conversion of Ibotenic acid and Muscimol. My vague non-referenced understanding (don't take seriously! use as a stepping stone) is that Ibotenic acid is converted to muscimol via decarboxylation with heat. The introduction of carbonated beverages is thought to have the potential to carboxylate the muscimol back to Ibotenic acid.

It would be great to have knowledgeable chem folk clarify this a little. I was under the vague understanding that carboxylation is a lot trickier than decarboxylation.

Either way, I think it's worth people (myself included if I am to comment!) read up on their state and federal laws. From memory Ibotenic acid and muscimol were both listed individually, so possesion of fresh or dried specimens of A. muscaria would be illegal.

• Like 2

FP,

amanita tea tastes quite differently dependent on what there is in it beside Amanita. With Amanita acting like a flavour enhancer, almost every combination will taste intensely and original for first-timers. Tea with honey and cinnamon is fine.

• Like 3

Thanks for the responses. The more I read about this mushroom the more I want to try it. This season for sure.

• Like 1

They're out there like I've never seen before at the moment. If you want them its a feast.

• Like 2

its a lovely smoke and a delicious tea

i tend to just keep the red skin and shave off as much of the flesh as poss since they fruit so abundantly

pre sunning and then baking dry

enjoy ! , beautiful mushroom

• Like 2

Ibotenic acid into muscimol then after its gone through your system drink your urine for muscarine.

Ive had em on pizza. Lol.

Ignore my shithouse spell'n

Edited by wert
  • Like 1

This spice usage intrigues me....

• Like 1

Freshly dried, I found the taste of the caps tolerable when powdered and downed quickly, but when stored for some time the already intense taste became too much for me. Makes cactus and vine teas seem quite tasty IMO

• Like 2

wert>>

there little muscarine in A.muscaria actually. Possibly some strains might contain more (US strains?).

Inocybe sp contain enough to get you seriously ill. Muscarine causes a full on poisoning, so nobody would like to eat it, let alone in piss. Muscimole is what you mean.

===

if someone wants to use less material, one can do what TH said, that is use only the cap surface (scratching off most flesh..)

BUT be warned

cap skin > whole cap (w/out stems) > caps + stems together in terms of being intertesting.

Like I said 0.5 ~1 gram of powder should be enough for use as a flavour enhancer in food..

PS: Interesting FB page, not joining though, fuck FB

PS2: My impression (from reports+my exp) is that nausea is not always present. Certain strains seem to cause it more. Maybe nausea is due to muscarine content of some strains and not muscimole/ibo acid. I have never experienced nausea or sore stomach in some 30+ ingestions. The same for 3 pantherina ingestions.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

mmm would love to find pantherina

and yeh facebook is defo nastware ... maybe even bastware ..

get some facebook denying software add-ons if ya do

• Like 1