The Corroboree
Daemonsol

Rooting middle cuts - which way is up? :-/

Question

Howdy folks!

Driving myself nuts! One of my Peruvians fell over n broke into three... I stupidly forgot to mark which end was which on the middle cut :-/

I potted them the other day to root and went on the assumption that the fatter end was the rooting end but now I'm plagued with doubt. I have pictures of the segment in question and the tip cut was hoping someone could tell by the spines if I got it right/wrong, however I can't figure out how to post them lol so maybe someone could give me some ideas?

8 answers to this question

Yes, I probably can tell but need pics. ;) Took you off the mod-preview btw. If in doubt, root sideways. It will grow in the direction it likes the most.

• Like 2

Thanks heaps Evil Genius! I figured out how to post pics lol I had to go to the full version not the mobile one however when I tried to attach it I got told the pic was too big :-/

I think is ok tho, after thinking it thru more scientifically I believe I got it the right way up - those little 'v' shaped markings/indentations go above the spines/aerioles yes?

• Like 2

Yes, most of them do. Some others have other kinds of markings and ridges, but basically, the notches should be visible as the letter V.

Edited by Evil Genius

Sometimes you can tell by the thickness of the vascular core ring walls. The thicker the walls of the ring usually indicates the oldest end, and therefore the one that goes down.

~Michael~

• Like 2

If you stick it in the ground either way, it will re-grow a new pup complete with this season's "right way up" look =)

Edited by ghosty

If you stick it in the ground either way, it will re-grow a new pup complete with this season's "right way up" look =)

Does this mean mid cuts can actually root from the 'top' end? And the pups will turn grow towards the sun? Or am I misunderstanding?

I have tried this with peru torch cactus, upside down in dirt. What i saw was a new cactus growing normal from the ground right next to it. It has pupped underground and grown as normal. I did not leave it long enough to see what would happen with the colomn if just left alone. it was just to test this. it later became to seperate cactus to help eat my clay base, over the next 2000 years =)

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1