The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Lunatic Ephedra fucks by the light of the moon

A pair of researchers with Stockholm University has discovered a species of Ephedra—a plant that is dependent on the full moon for pollination. In their paper published in The Royal Society Biology Letters, Catarina Rydin and Kristina Bolinder describe how they came upon their findings nearly by accident and the research they conducted afterwards that backed up their suspicions.

To reproduce, plants produce pollen which is carried (by wind, insects, animals, etc.) to other plants of its kind where it fertilizes seeds. As the research pair note, species of Ephedra are pollinated via both insects and the wind, but only one thus far (Ephedra foeminea) prefers pollination by full moonlight. The two made this discovery after a fruitless study of the plants in Greece and Croatia, it hit them that the plants might be waiting for more light from the moon— E. foeminea was already known to be pollinated by nocturnal insects, perhaps they had found they had better luck when there was more moonlight. They returned to the Balkans during the time period when the moon would be full, and found fields that looked like they were full of twinkling diamonds. Intrigued, they returned to Sweden and began studying records of the plant and found a correlation between pollination times for the plants and full moon periods.

E. foeminea, a gymnosperm, produces a clear sugary substance which oozes out of cone-shaped female organs, forming globules. When an insect lands on the globule, it carries with it pollen that sticks to the substance, and eventually the pollen makes its way to a seed at the base of the organ, fertilizing it. The globules, the researchers note, glisten brightly in the full moonlight, attracting insects. They also acknowledge that they have no idea how it is the plants know when the full moon is going to happen, or react when it actually does happen, though they suggest it might be related to the gravitational impact the moon exerts during that time. In any case, the finding is a first for the plant world—no other plant has been found to wait for the full moon to activate a pollinator inducement, including Ephedra distachya, a very close relative, which relies on wind to carry its pollen.

[Link]

• Like 6

nobody ever considers how the lunar cycle would be exerting an electrical influence.

nobody ever considers how the lunar cycle would be exerting an electrical influence.

I'm almost scared to ask... moon exerting an electrical influence?

Dont electromagnetic waves from the sun bounce off the moon sort of like sound bounces off a wall and makes an echo?

So the night time electromagnetic signal from the sun would be proportional to the percentage of the moon thats illuminated.

• Like 1

Not nearly as simple as merely EM radiation, but as we're illuminated entirely by the sun even when the moon is shining, so too all nearby bodies are immersed in the sun's electrical environment, but they exert secondary influences just like the moon has secondary luminosity.

Eh, I'm just saying is all. I'm not the right person to explain or validate these claims, most of you probably don't want to know until mainstream science is singing the same tune anyway. Investigate for yourself the relationship between io and Jupiter for example (those aren't volcanoes moving across its surface)

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

Even Venus, earth and mars influence each other at their closest approaches.... Considerably more distant than the earth and moon!

it sucks that i really want to talk about this and similar topics, but nobody at all has any of the background gist leaving it to me t to broach a world of information and ideas, when i'm not at all confident to do it justice and know for certain i'd botch the terminology.

better for me to be the harrier of your comfortable paradigms than their conqueror. anyone sufficiently riled can poke their lusting intellect at some of these articles:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/00subjectx.htm#Moons

for the record i have my doubts about the moon exerting much real-time electrical influence at the actual biosphere level.

the moon was doing great colouring movements down where i was thunder.

i'll post a couple of pics mang

^ it's spectacle lures me in every time i see it eth. through binoculars is even better. it's multicoloured aura becomes apparent.

well i've done some very limited skimming and produced these. i may add to them:

- the Moon's orbit takes it in and out of the charge sheath that extends outward from Earth.

- transient lunar phenomenon have been witnessed and photographed which may be surface discharges

- from NASA "....in addition to the wicked cold, explorers and robots at the bottoms of polar lunar craters may have to contend with a complex electrical environment as well, which can affect surface chemistry, static discharge, and dust cling.”

-charge differential between the day and night side of the moon might generate an ion wind

-Earth's cometary plasma cocoon changes shape and power as electric currents from the Sun bombard our planet. It is sometimes described as a “flag waving” because of somewhat regular oscillations in the field. This means that the Moon does not simply pass through the magnetotail once and briefly, but that electric charges will brush the surface several times during each monthly encounter.

EDIT: upon re-reading, the last point seems to say that the moon passes through our magnetotail each full moon but there are multiple interactions due to the shifting magnetotail. worth noting that the full moon might pass deeper into the centre of the magnetotail during lunar eclipse, although that may not quite be right. wavering aside, i don't believe the solar wind (which deforms earth's magnetic field) correlates exactly with solar rays, so the earth's shadow and magnetotail may not align precisely at the best of times.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1