The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

Potential Future migratory/dispersion patterns

Have been pondering lately the ongoing and potential of changes in climate and how that will affect the mycology of the south/se in the future. Some recent modelling suggests drastic drops in average rainfalls in these areas over autumn and winter, With some scenarios suggesting SA and a large part of Victoria could become desert by 2100. Any thoughts Zen/Obtuse?

• Like 1

Nearly all of SA and most of Vic already are desert. So yeah less rainfall then the already little/random rain recievied will make for struggle town.

I was looking at average rainfall for the past 20 years in my area down south and there's been a fairly significant decline in recorded rainfall. There were numerous years of 600+mm then from the early 2000's most years have received in the 300mm's with the odd 500.
Its not looking good. Doesn't help that people are tapping in to salty bore water when the dams are empty either.

When I flew over Adelaide last year I saw and took photos of a desert of arid farmland. I've always been worried about Australia's climate, it already had such a delicate ecosystem before the European settlers (the majority of forest being along the coast), and that's exactly where civilisation decided it would park its cities and wipe out most of the remaining land for agriculture. Utter madness.

This place will be fairly inhospitable soon if the government doesn't step in and get some reforestin' happening. Which wont, because who's to profit?

Yep - time to head for the hills. Scary stuff..