The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SayN

Slippery Jacks?

Question

I know I should have got a better photo of the underside - its a yellow bolete though...

Growing under conifers at the end of street nearby as they always do this time of year.

Are they Slippery Jacks as I suspect (or Jills)? Are they really worth me picking one or two to try sauteed on toast or...? They seem to be in their prime today.

post-5949-0-18661400-1427338145_thumb.jp

post-5949-0-09074900-1427338195_thumb.jp

post-5949-0-18661400-1427338145_thumb.jpg

post-5949-0-09074900-1427338195_thumb.jpg

post-5949-0-18661400-1427338145_thumb.jpg

post-5949-0-09074900-1427338195_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

They look like a gymnopilus species, do they have gills or sponge under the cap?

If you can post a pic of the underside it will help

Don't eat them until they have been identified from a reliable source.

sponge mate. and no, i would never eat them without a positve id (and a good recipe)

Edited by CrayZ

probably? a shot of the stem might help as well, you can usually see a slight veil ring on slipperies.

• Like 1

As to whether they're worth picking, opinions vary. They do have a somewhat slimy texture, which some people hate. Frying slices til they're crispy like bacon rashers will help this alot - cooking them in risottos/etc gives great flavour but all that moisture doesn't help with the sliminess. If you can find very young unopened buttons the texture will be much crisper as well. You can also dry slices & use in place of dried porcini or shitake. Try to avoid waterlogged specimens - in heavy rain they can suck up an astonishing amount of water & all of that has to be cooked back out again before they'll be a nice texture to eat. I think they're great.

I'm use to them in pine plantations where they are really slippery...lol...they could be ones in a more exposed area (more sun+wind), but better photos would help. Not convinced on what I can see.

I wont eat em unless skinned and dried. I've found them more palatable that way, and always got a bit of them kicking about.

Mate i find them to much hassle and not worth the effort...mind you i always get new pickers to have a crack.. Like uni ( sea urchin) one in ten dig the taste pr texture..

As the others have said you really need an under belly shot as there is a few native botetes that can give you a stomach ache or worse?

Im no expert but i know i have come across shite loads of different native boletes that i cant find much info on when hiking.

Mind you they are easily distinguished from jacks...

Chears b

Edited by Master B

ok. just for an exercise i'll taker some better photos. Not sure i'm gonna eat anyway as recovering from gastro these last couple of days. :(

Mate the d00d is on to it.. go for the lactarius they are super tasty and have a nice woody meaty texture that all my family loves( misses hates the jacks).. And they are hard to fuck up with id.

I have some Polish mates and their parents would pick the slippery jacks and cook them up, we picked some one day out in the bush near Dwellingup but when it came time to eat the cooked mushroom it barely got past the tip of my tongue as the texture was so repulsive I had to spit it out. The underside looked like honeycomb sponge, and the flesh was a caramel colour, the darker brown skin on the top of the cap required removal first before cooking I think.

I reckon they are only good for photographing :-)