The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

syd barrett's mental condition

I know its oft debated and probably debated to death and there are so maby ignored victims of the various sinister heads of mental illness but...

im a massive fan of Barrett Floyd and barrett solo work but i must admit i never quite got the solo holo void that he quickly became until i saw his lack of 'emotional affect' in this video.

it really does shake me to the core and ive known numerous drug induced psychosis experiencers. But not with those blank eyes..

This clip seems to suggest what Micheal Stipe always suggested -these three really just exploited Barrett for their own careers

i dunno, i didn't really see the extremely blank look in this video.. more of a bored, 'i'm not gonna perform like a pop star for the camera' look. which is pretty much his usual way of being in video's isn't it? even well before he slipped over the edge.. i'm not all that sure though, i don't know that much about it..

• Like 1

I like the theory that he had ASD, explaining his obsession with sounds and atypical behaviour.

I'm not sure I ever heard early Floyd, their better known stuff does it for me.

i'd personally say of course he had ASD, from what i know of the fella & my own personal experience. except i never liked the D part of that label. The condition is pretty broad in it's expression (by definition i guess) but it's not always appropriate to label it a disorder.. depending where you are on the spectrum, often i feel the 'disorder' part is more a result of 'normal', simpler people's inability to comprehend it as opposed to some inherent pathological aspect to the condition.

On the other hand ASD & extended use of large doses of strong psychedelics is seriously asking for trouble..

• Like 2

The thing about it for me was how social and interactive he was before his decline. I wonder - can someone get very late onset As(d)?

Or fruit.

yes i should also mention extended use of large doses of fruit could be seriously asking for trouble also

no, FRUIT BORN OF THE PSYCHEDELIC INTERFACE.

heavy use by an ASD musician on a rollercoaster ride to the top is asking for trouble, but could also yield fruit.

judging by pink floyds influence and success, it bore fruit.

it's interesting that the rest of pink floyd did not associate themselves with drug use (that i'm aware). maybe syd harvested enough fruit to go around for years after, or maybe pink floyd just didn't want that image.

• Like 1