The Corroboree
Alienteaparty

Botany study within Melbourne

Hello.

I have been tossing up what I want to do for the past few years and have now settled on studying Botany in Melbourne.

The issue I have is that there are two universities that have this course available and I can only chose one, either La Trobe, or the University of Melbourne. Both look equally appealing so I'm on the fence....bigtime!

I plan to apply to one of these universities this week and commence study during second semester intake this year.

Can anybody offer assistance with my decision who has previously or currently studied at either of these universities?

Cheerios!!!!

have a think about which aspects of botany really interest you. its a diverse field. there is work in plant genetics, paleobotany, ecology, etc with cross overs into other fields, agriculture, natural products chemistry, and geography.

and then have a look at what your degree will offer you at each stage. also look at what other subjects will complement your interests. also make sure you do statistics and/or research methods all the way through.

i am planning on applying for melbourne uni later this year, so already biased lol, but have a good friend studying there and from what i have hear they have a fantastic botany group. its an older university and has a very high rating so would probably look better on your cv.

maybe look up who runs the units that take your particular interest and look at their own research history, to give you an idea of what they are doing and how you may fit into their research groups. also you learn a lot very quickly, you wlll find that what interests you now may not in two years time when you have had a chance to really get your head into it, so be open.

but there are other factors, such as which is closer and more convenient. souns like a plan, and you wont regret it. gives you a whole new perspective on plants and life in general.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot to consider.

So far I'm leaning towards the uni of Melbourne

So the seminar schedule ( http://www.botany.unimelb.edu.au/botany/news/seminars.html ) pretty much covers all of my interests. I'm quite excited to see all of those seminars, especially the talk on the first sexual fungi.

I also like the campus itself, and the course plan resonates with me=y current interests within biological science greatly..

http://bsc.unimelb.edu.au/plant-science

La Trobe has some stiff competition.

Cheers for the help. and what are you planing to study?

Edited by Alienteaparty

yeah sorry about that. i guess i was in your position 6 years ago, so just reflecting on my own experience.

love that seminar line up - wow! ill see you there lol

love the melbourne uni degree plan. but make sure you do try and work out overall interest to work out compliment. chemistry is a fundamental addition. try and do some microbiology as well if possible but it looks like you may not be able to. if you have an interest in ecology geology and geography would also be important considerations for first year.

but really i would push chemistry and stats as major compliments to your plant science subjects.

can i make the point though that genetics is fundamental. get a good understanding and foundation before you start because they will bang on about for the entire time.