The Corroboree
Alienteaparty

Argyreia nervosa- inducing seeding

Howdy ladies and gents!

I have recently discovered a one year old Argyreia nervosa on my friends property that has not yet gone to seed.

I was curious if there is a method that can be used to induce or speed up the production of seeds on the plant in sub tropical conditions.

It is currently in the ground in great organic soil and is about three meters tall and covering a large section of fence. It is in great health and growing by the day, but still no flowers or seeds for over a year!

Does it need more time to mature?

Thanks in advance.

post-9401-0-32093100-1426384254_thumb.jp

post-9401-0-32093100-1426384254_thumb.jpg

post-9401-0-32093100-1426384254_thumb.jpg

Could be that it's to cold.... I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't like to flower in colder climates.

Hey ATP arent you in Perth?

if so I'm pretty sure they don't flower/set seed in our climate. They need to be in the tropics.

Oh you're in perth... theres your problem then :P

I'm actually in Northern NSW, pretty much on the border to QLD.

Apologies for my deceiving Profile.

• Like 1

I wonder if that's a pollination issue - maybe we don't have the right kinds of moth in temperate areas?

Flowering like a bastard at my place this year in nnsw. I haven't seen it flower like this since 2007

How many seed I get remains to be seen

Not sure if it is because of a seasonal confluence, or the fact that I started fertilising it regularly with a foliar spray about eight months ago

• Like 1

I live in there ideal climate and saw no seeds for the first 3 years mind you no care was given. I may be wrong but vaguely recall a thread where Torsten mentioned a method he had them seeding in 18 months

• Like 1

would planting a 12 month old Argeyia Nervosa out in central queensland weather cause any problems, I've found a nice spot behind some native trees where it only gets full sun for only a quarter of the day followed by filtered sun for the rest. As it is getting cooler I am thinking of maybe leaving it till november/december when it heats up again as previous winter it dropped all leaves and i was uncertain it was going to live, fortunately it has and seems to be the strongest out of al the argeyia I've grown from seed (ten in total, all the others died in winter and never got past the second set of "heart" shaped leaves?).

I have some older palnts that still have yet to flower in ground. I go timpatient a while ago and got new seeds and they flowered and set seed in 8 months. the month thing can be misleading, they flower in the long day season, summer here. I'm only guessing its a light trigger, but could be water too as here it is wet when they sstart flowering and dry when they stop.

When the plant is big enough adn has good roots it should flower soon. but i do notice some plants seem sterile. Pollinators here are mainly hawk moths at dusk. mine all grew in insanely hard clay heavy soil. dry season your shovel breaks, they never got watered or fed for 5+ years. some flower profusely others dont.

i do notice some plants seem sterile. Pollinators here are mainly hawk moths at dusk. mine all grew in insanely hard clay heavy soil. dry season your shovel breaks, they never got watered or fed for 5+ years. some flower profusely others dont.

I have notice this too. Some flower and set seed and some dont. even when are growing on top of each other. They love shit soil and it seems little water judging by the areas I have seen some monsters growing with below average rainfall lately.

The local council/ csiro/ biosecurity have taken a hardline to them in last couple years. They really are invasive but they will poison them and kill the host tree along with whatever other tree is growing around it...

Treat em mean keep em keen. I mow over mine that spring up everywhere on my block and they keep bouncing back.

Took these yesterday about 80 km inland at about 1500 above sea level. Shit season for rain this year and record high temps.

post-16231-0-36209500-1429331828_thumb.j post-16231-0-08418100-1429332000_thumb.j

post-16231-0-10470200-1429332064_thumb.j

post-16231-0-36209500-1429331828_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-08418100-1429332000_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-10470200-1429332064_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-36209500-1429331828_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-08418100-1429332000_thumb.jpg

post-16231-0-10470200-1429332064_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

cool pictures, id be scared to let mine get that big. But the key there with rain is they have MASSIVE roots. their leaves do lose a lot of water,so potted plants can dehydrate fast. but in ground plants tend to make root growth a priority from the beginning. my area is dry in winter as well and they are teh only plant i have that dont even thinking about wilting, even after months of no rain.

• Like 2

got some seed from SAB a while back. any idea if these'll grow in melbourne climate at all? any suggestions?

OP is just being impatient...

I had mine flower+seed at 15 months and considered this something, given they are considered to flower after 18+ months

wut an impressive plant, thinking of cutting back mine after this year.. its catches, [and perhaps serves as a nest for] several bugs and shit.

PS: yep they know how to search for water these vines.. they seem like they need no watering now.. they have found the center of the earth

cheers kada

Edited by mutant