The Corroboree
Alchemica

Crimson Bottlebrush flowers (Callistemon citrinus, Myrtaceae) - strong antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activity

Aboriginal Bush Foods: A major phloroglucinol from Crimson Bottlebrush flowers (Callistemon citrinus, Myrtaceae) displays strong antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activity

Callistemon citrinus (Myrtaceae) is a shrub native to Australia. Its flowers have been used as indigenous food among the aboriginal Australians. Numerous diseases, such as bacterial, fungal, viral and parasite infections have traditionally been treated with this plant. Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC/MS) analyses of the flower and leaf extracts of C. citrinus revealed the presence of a major constituent, a phloroglucinol, 1-(2,6-dihydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-3-methylbutan-1-one (1) (up to 382.2 mg per 1 g of the flower extracts). Compound 1 was for the first time identified in this genus. This phloroglucinol exhibited potent antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities in a dose-dependent manner. In addition, this compound displayed strong in vitro antioxidant activity which could be easily connected with both anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive effects. Thus, compound 1, as a plant constituent present in the diet of Aboriginal people, that helps with inflammation and pain, could have given them a better chance of survival in harsh conditions of the environment.

In this study, for the first time, we report the detection and structural elucidation of a rare phloroglucinol derivative, compound 1 (1-(2,6-dihydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-3-methylbutan-1-one) in the flower and leaf extracts of C. citrinus. This compound was previously found to be the constituent of only one more plant species (Myrcianthes fragrans) of the same family. This is the first report on the occurrence of 1-(2,6-dihydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-3-methylbutan-1-one in the genus Callistemon. This finding pinpoints a possible chemotaxonomic relationship between these two genera from the Myrtaceae family.

Compound 1 was demonstrated to possess dose-dependent, significant antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities. Such activities could be connected to the strong in vitro antioxidant activity of this compound shown in this study as well. One of the major sites of action of this compound was found to be the spinal cord, where interference by strong antioxidants could occur. Thus, together with literature data, the antioxidant, antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of compound 1 present in the flowers of C. citrinus, consumed by the Aboriginal population of Australia, provide sufficient evidence that the flowers of this Callistemon sp. are not simply the source of nutritious sugars (nectar), but convey a much more beneficial effect on to the consumer providing pain relief and reduction of inflammatory reactions. Having all this in mind, C. citrinus rightfully deserves to be regarded as a functional food.

If anyone would like the full text, PM me.

• Like 8

PM'd :) I prolly won't understand it but I love hoarding papers like this in the hope that one day I shall

my oldboi grows this , thanks