The Corroboree
gtarman

Australian melatonin supplements (question)

Hey all.

Hoping somebody has experience with this and can help - I've been wanting to get a melatonin supplement to help me in regulating my sleeping pattern, seeing as I'm a shift worker and I often have to change shifts.

The only two melatonin supplements I can find in Australia seem to be "Healthy Care" and "Bioglan"...both are labelled as
"homeopathic preparations" whatever that means...?

Anyway, I'm trying to find out how much melatonin they contain. The packaging seems to say "Contains melatonin 6X"...but what does that mean? Generally the accepted measurement is milligrams, not algebra...right?

Overseas all seems to measure theirs in mg, and I'm loath to taking something without actually knowing what's in it. Anybody have experience with these brands or is able to shed some light on the matter? Do they work?

if its labelled homeopathic preparation its not really melatonin.

• Like 3

they contain none.

didn't i already give you a lead for this? or did that turn out to no longer be viable?

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

I think in australia its a prescription medication? At least when I tried to order it through iherb they restrict delivery to Australia.

I suffer from occaisional bouts of insomnia usually lasting 3-6 weeks where I may get 20 mins sleep for every 24 hours or so. Was prescribed pharmacist grade melatonin (as compared to non-prescription supplements) and it did absollutely nothing for me. I've no idea how prescription melatonin compares to the supplement stuff though, or if they are the same or different. So yeah it did fuck all for me, but that was for insomnia rather than shift work problems, and everyone is different so it might work wonders for someone else. I'd avoid ANY commercial "supplements" because in most cases the only thing your gonna get from them is very expensive urine. Go to the doctor and get a script. It wont be much different in price to commercial crap anyway and least it might work.

Edited by Cubism

Pretty sure you require a script here. I know this isn't the most reputable source however there is an article from the Dr Oz Show which talks about melatonin and how it does not work for sleep. I looked into melatonin during a period where I had difficulty sleeping. I discussed options with my GP. He said that you should not use melatonin supplements as it can prevent you producing your own. Upon researching the side effects I came across the Dr Oz article and I think it's important you look at it and into the full extent of the side effects from giving your brain artificial stuff that haven't been tried enough. . .

Edited by Psili Soarer

Hey gtarman,

Try Puritan's Pride.

http://search.puritan.com/search?view=grid&w=melatonin&x=0&y=0

3mg 120 tablets 5 bottles for US$8.70

1x3mg tablet at night. Most will do well on that dose. Some may need

5mg or 10mg. Best to start with 3mg.

I have been ordering Melatonin from Puritan's Pride since around

2001. I always order between 6 to 12 bottles. Box is shipped from

Deutsche Post and takes 2 to 3 weeks to Oz. Shipping is usually

$20 to $30.

Boxes opened many times by Customs. They always let them through.

By the way, I have been kind enough to pass on many bottles to family

and friends. In Australia Melatonin is sold by prescription and costs

up to $1 per tablet. The health food stores sell Homeopathic Melatonin.

Diluted to maybe 1%.

Stick with Puritan's Pride. They are the best and cheapest, and they are

stocked with a huge catalogue of items.

• Like 2

you need a script for pharmacist melatonin, not hard to get a script from a gp if you have insomnia,worth a try. my mum had repeat scripts from her gp but was told it can take 3 months to be efective. i was given a 21 day script and i cant tell if it helped or not. need to go back for a repeat. i realise its not going to be that beneficial without daily exercise, and exposing retina to sunlight early morning and throughout the day. i have sensetive retina and never not wear my sunnies out.

melatonin is more often used effectively for resetting body clock with jet lag etc apparently

Maybe just see a doctor. Trazodone and Seroquel were used to treat me at different times for spans of about 1 month and they worked great.

Modafinil is used for shift work sleep disorder. Perhaps you could ask your doc about it. You can order it online from overseas too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

I think people wanna sleep bro not be zinging around! I personally wouldn't recommend this as an option unless you can't fix your insomnia and need to have something to help during the day when your drowsy.

Some people blog about how it doesn't affect there sleeping pattern but with a history of insomnia I can attest to its effectiveness not allowing you to sleep!

you can't get melatonin in Australia without going though a lot of hassle.

Just order it on ebay from the US, you can get 2 bottles of 60 tabs for like 10 to 15 dollars, from memory. Your apparently allowed to import a 3 month supply. Kind of ridiculous, since what defines a 3 month supply?

But anyway.......... I've found the most effective to be the 'Natrol' brand, 10mg slow release tablets. That should get you yawning and make you all peaceful and sleepy within around one to two hours.

Edited by Subaeruginosin

yeah that's the one i thought i had pm'd to gman already......

Mersyndol will knock you the fuck out. ;)

If you were gonna head that route if recommend chemist brand doxylamine succinate rather than mersyndol, anything to avoid the codeine! 50mg doxy can knock even a seasoned stoner out ime

http://www.webstore.kodaphytorium.com.au/melatonin_30ml_pr_978.php

Torsten gave a lenthy description of this product in another thread. I cant find it at the moment.

Here?

I had thought that evidence for the idea that melatonin supplements (even the ones that actually contain melatonin!) will help you sleep was verrrry sketchy. It's my understanding that most studies showed that it can reduce sleep latency, but it doesn't make you sleep any better or any longer. It just reduces the time you lie there wishing you could get to sleep. And I've suffered plenty of insomnia, so I can see how this could be a desirable effect all on it's own. Just don't expect too much.

Effects of melatonin administration on daytime sleep after simulated night shift work.

"Melatonin had no effect on alertness on the MSLT, or performance and mood during the night shift. There were no hangover effects from melatonin administration. These findings suggest that although melatonin can help night workers obtain more sleep during the day, they are still likely to face difficulties working at night because of circadian rhythm misalignment. The possibility of tolerance to the sleep-promoting effects of melatonin across more than 1 day needs further investigation."

I think Torsten talked about tolerance issues, but I don't know the details - might be worth looking into also.

they contain none.

didn't i already give you a lead for this? or did that turn out to no longer be viable?

Forgot about that! Cheers

Mersyndol will knock you the fuck out. ;)

If you were gonna head that route if recommend chemist brand doxylamine succinate rather than mersyndol, anything to avoid the codeine! 50mg doxy can knock even a seasoned stoner out ime

Believe it or not doxylamine is pretty hit and miss for me. I think I once took 100mg and it still didn't knock me out, just made me horribly groggy. Plus any time I've used it, regardless of dosage, it messes with my head a lot the next day. Always really groggy and I found that in me it can aggravate depressive thinking, which is why I don't take it any more.

Edited by gtarman

Get another fucking job. Fuck taking all that shit.

Sleep should be naturally occuring. If you fuck with it, you fuck with your health. Cicadian rhythms and all that.

As far as taking anything artifical that impacts on the serotonergic system of the body, I'd be real careful.

I am of the belief that the most responsible choice would be small doses of cannabis, preferably vapourised, before sleep. Indica dominant strains of course :wink:

Apologies if different work is out of the question, but your health is your wealth. How much is it worth? :huh:

• Like 1

Hey all.

Hoping somebody has experience with this and can help - I've been wanting to get a melatonin supplement to help me in regulating my sleeping pattern, seeing as I'm a shift worker and I often have to change shifts.

The only two melatonin supplements I can find in Australia seem to be "Healthy Care" and "Bioglan"...both are labelled as

"homeopathic preparations" whatever that means...?

Anyway, I'm trying to find out how much melatonin they contain. The packaging seems to say "Contains melatonin 6X"...but what does that mean? Generally the accepted measurement is milligrams, not algebra...right?

Overseas all seems to measure theirs in mg, and I'm loath to taking something without actually knowing what's in it. Anybody have experience with these brands or is able to shed some light on the matter? Do they work?

I order my supplements online from iHerb, and have come to trust the "now" brand. I've used their melatonin myself and it's good: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Melatonin-3-mg-180-Capsules/328#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=melatonin&rc=224&sr=null&ic=4

You won't need more than 3mg, that's really plenty. Take it and at most half an hour later you'll be struggling to keep your eyes open. If you're a real insomniac, maybe boil a valerian tea bag for 15 mins or so and drink that as well. Take a vitamin D supplement in the morning as well to really help regulate your sleep.

A word of advice though: as with any hormone, don't take it consistently for long periods. If you need to take it for a week or so to regulate your sleeping habits, that's fine, but don't take it for a few months and expect to have no ill effects. Your body may adapt to the supplement and lose the ability to produce the hormone for itself.

Edited by Scarecrow

If your having a true full on episode of insomnia, then don't even bother with melatonin, 30mg won't do a thing, nor will copious amounts of erb . You'll be needing at least 70mg of temazepam.

• Like 1

you guys and your pharmaceuticals... all you need is to have some nice calming tea and give yourself a good chest massage before you go to bed. get right between those ribs, loosen up your sternum, draw the blood down from the brain into the heart. you'll sleep gloriously

• Like 1