The Corroboree
Darklight

Seeking fresh Tamarind seed for NT garden rebuild, donate/buy/trade

A mate is heading up to remote NT, his family lost a lot of stuff in the recent cyclone, including their gardens

Not sure how big a priority their garden rebuild will be overall, but my mate wants to take up some fast growing basic stock, including a couple of favourites. A few NSW locals helping pack together something which will make it past whatever regional quarantine checks are encountered

Have specifically been asked for tamarind ( Tamarindus indica ). I heard yesterday that there are Tamarind trees in Darwin already, but my mate won't be stopping there long enough to collect, check, package seed even if it's in season. He's a very basic home veg gardener in Vic and has family concerns uppermost on what will be a long trip with multiple priorities

If anyone has any viable, clean Tamarind seed to donate/ trade/ sell, maybe 50 or so, please PM me. It'll be sent here to NSW first so I can ensure labelling and storage is 100% going to not be a hassle for him to travel with and that seed will be viable at the end of it

Out of season for seed on trees, seedlings popping up now. I collected seed a few months ago, planted most but should still have a few viable (10 maybe), pm me with your address and i'll send 'em down.

• Like 1

Rockin'- thank you! PMd

bro, sorry. I just checked the shed, and ants have been into the seed and they don't look viable. I planted about 6 weeks ago, and gave the extra seedlings away yesterday... I'll have a look locally for you and get back to you. But if there's anyone else out there with seed....

bro, sorry. I just checked the shed, and ants have been into the seed and they don't look viable. I planted about 6 weeks ago, and gave the extra seedlings away yesterday... I'll have a look locally for you and get back to you. But if there's anyone else out there with seed....

Hey it happens, don't worry about it, I appreciate the trouble you have already gone to.

Would love it if you find more fresh seed tho :)

Anyone else? I seem to have just missed the season

i used to get viable seed out of packets of tamarind sweets from asian stores, basically balls of tamarind flesh dipped in salt :)

(not very helpful to you Darklight i realise)

^ yeah same, as well as in packets of pulp from the same stores, which seemed to be slightly more viable.