The Corroboree
Nezahualcoyotl

South America Questions about Ethnobotany

I am planning on traveling in Central and South America next year with a foucs on Colombia, Ecuador and North Peru. I was wondering... what is the most north location they traditionally chew coca? What about ayahuasca? Any ideas? Any must-see sights in this are (excluding Peru, I know what I need to see there) or ethnobotanical mysteries to investigate?

Edited by Nezahualcoyotl

Every time someone asks this question I have to mention Salvia venulosa, the closest relative to divinorum.

Find it and bring some back. There are roads running through it's territory in Colombia.

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53935

• Like 5

I thought that was Salvia albocaerulea found in Mexico? What can you tell me about the Salivas in Colombia? Any ideas about the coca?

Edited by Nezahualcoyotl

I think the most interesting cultivar of "ery" is "Truxillensis" from TRUJILLO in Peru. It is cultivar adapted to arid regions.

• Like 3

half the economy of some of the countries between Guatemala and Panama is made on white powder but im guessing your thinking traditional.

half the economy of some of the countries between Guatemala and Panama is made on white powder but im guessing your thinking traditional.

I think you have no idea about Latinoamerica.

• Like 1

Does Coca REALLY grow in Trujillo? I'm fairly close to there now. I have a hard time believing that. Here in Lima it's desert. I'm headed to Matucana in a week though! Any tips on what to do there besides the obvious?

• Like 1

Also planning to hit the Shibundoy valley (see the book "One River") and Huancabamba in Peru... any other "MUST SEE" locations for the ethnobotanist? Also... ruins in Colombia? I heard there are some coca chewing statues.

Also I've been looking for hell like the Trichocereus collection locations map. Can anybody link me please? Also maps of the ranges of Coca and Ayahuasca would be great!

im thinking you should have done some research before the trip mate ... :innocent_n:

• Like 1

That's what I'm doing now, this is for the new trip, 2017. - written from Matucana, Peru.

Lol My bad... carry on. It was tongue in cheek mate. :wink:

There was an ethnobotanical garden in Leticia with lots of interesting plants growing, if you happen to travel that way

Have you tried Sacha Inchi nuts? Best source of omega 3,6,9... grown in Colombia and Peru. Great plant.

• Like 1

post-11970-0-55688800-1429486771_thumb.j

This fish is infamous... It's the reason to never urinate in the Amazon or for women not to swim when menstruating. The fish is attracted to blood and urine and will swim inside animals and begin to feed. Try to remove it and out come the spines.

The pic shows some preserved specimens. There have been cases of death in women and major genital damage in men. I leave the rest to your imagination.

post-11970-0-55688800-1429486771_thumb.jpg

post-11970-0-55688800-1429486771_thumb.jpg

Nezahualcoyotl, check out the "Best of Trichocereus in South America" at https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/11674694/Best_of_Trichocereus_of_South_America_Screen_Saver.

There is location information included in many of the photo names and could give good ideas about where to see Trichocereus throughout South America.

Vina del Mar, Valparaiso Regioni, Chile...

post-19-0-73853500-1430068100_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 1

Interesting link Mr.Smith! Thanks!