The Corroboree

My 2 yr old son was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic this week, we took him to the Doc on Monday as his water consumption and urination had been through the roof even after the horrendous heat subsided, we also noticed changes in the amount of food he ate and the increasingly difficult nappy rash.

As you can imagine it has been an exhausting week and its not over yet. Neither me or my partner have any family history of diabetes so we were really not expecting anything like this.

I remember reading years ago about a plant that was extremely good at treating type 2 diabetes but cant for the life of me remember what it was.

If anyone knows of good herbs or extracts for helping type 1 or 2 I would love to know.

As far as I know, type 1 is, so far, permanent and incurable so I am not expecting any miracles, and I don't have any false hopes but any info on herbal treatments would be great.

Hey Fenris.

Sorry to hear that.

My sister is an endocrinologist. She's pretty much anti all forms of alternative medicine though, but I can ask her next time i see her and see what she says if you like.

Edited by Cubism

Hi Fenris, very sorry to hear. In most cases, it´s very treatable and I am really putting my thumbs down that you will get it under control in your son very soon.

• Like 2

You need to investigate an Atkins or paleo style diet. Pretty much the opposite of what the diabetes foundation here recommends but other countries are changing their tune.

You can pm me but obviously you need to get multiple opinions and make up your own mind.

Diabetes is about macronutrients and hormones I don't imagine any herb will be as important as an appropriately controlled diet.

• Like 2

That said, I'm speaking more for type 2 and will need to do a little research to see how my viewpoint concerns type 1

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Gynura procumbens was the one I was thinking about, I didn't realise that St Mary's Thistle was useful for that too.

ok thats good, let me know if you want a rooted cutting & i'll get one to you.

Thanks LokStock, I think I will take you up on that offer, the more medicine in my garden, the better :-)

• Like 1

I was looking into immunomodulatory herbs and diabetes and found this

From http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/461685/

Abstract

HemoHIM (a new herbal preparation of three edible herbs: Angelica gigas Nakai, Cnidium officinale Makino, and Paeonia japonica Miyabe) was developed to protect immune, hematopoietic, and self-renewal tissues against radiation. This study determined whether or not HemoHIM could alter hyperglycemia and the immune response in diabetic mice. Both nondiabetic and diabetic mice were orally administered HemoHIM (100 mg/kg) once a day for 4 weeks. Diabetes was induced by single injection of streptozotocin (STZ, 200 mg/kg, i.p.). In diabetic mice, HemoHIM effectively improved hyperglycemia and glucose tolerance compared to the diabetic control group as well as elevated plasma insulin levels with preservation of insulin staining in pancreatic β-cells. HemoHIM treatment restored thymus weight, white blood cells, lymphocyte numbers, and splenic lymphocyte populations (CD4+ T and CD8+ T), which were reduced in diabetic mice, as well as IFN-γproduction in response to Con A stimulation. These results indicate that HemoHIM may have potential as a glucose-lowering and immunomodulatory agent by enhancing the immune function of pancreatic β-cells in STZ-induced diabetic mice.

Lots of interesting stuff in the middle, followed by

In conclusion, HemoHIM improved the symptom of STZ-induced diabetic. The evidence of these characteristics of HemoHIM includes (1) restoration from destroyed β-cells by STZ; (2) increase in blood insulin level; (3) decrease in blood glucose level by increased insulin; (4) protection of body and organs weight from disruption by STZ; (5) inhibitition of immunological changes by STZ. On the basis of the results described herein, we suggest that HemoHIM has antidiabetic potential against increase in blood glucose levels and even immune system disruption.

My little boy seems to be in a honeymoon phase where his pancreas kind of boots up again, this inevitably leads to the autoimmune response which destroys it for good. My theory was if some form of immonomodulatory herb was administered while in the honeymoon phase and continuing thereafter, that the body may be prevented from destroying the last of the functioning beta cells.

He's type one and only 2 years old... The best thing you can probably do for him at that age is get him an insulin pump (pricy, byt basic private health insurance has to cover it).

When he's older, and can better understand what's going on/ can tell you is he's in trouble, then maybe start looking at other things

• Like 1

Well what do you know! Psychedelic drug found that regenerates pancreatic beta cells

March 9, 2015 10:28 AM MST
c7996b8fee24d2c0b9024c8fb16c2459.jpg?ito
Play
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved new diabetes drug Toujeo on Wednesday, a move that might save French drugmaker Sanofi's profits.
on.aol.com

Diabetes is caused by the loss of beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Dr. Andrew Stewart, Director of the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Institute at the Icahn School of Medicine, and colleagues have found that harmine and related compounds regenerate pancreatic cells lost due to diabetes. The discovery was reported in the March 9, 2015, edition of the journal Nature Medicine.

92868c9cd2dad6eafe4bfe94e6021110.jpg?ito

Harmine is derived from a flowering plant called Harmal (peganum Harmala) and is known to have psychoactive properties. Harmine was found to initiate the growth of beta cells at a rate similar to the rate that is seen in children. Normally, beat cells are produced in children at a rapid rate during the first year of life. The beta cells produced should last for a lifetime except for people that develop diabetes.

The scientists have identified the mechanistic and genetic pathways that harmine uses to produce a growth spurt in beta cells. The researchers identified harmine from a catalog of 100,000 potential drugs and compounds that might produce beta cell regeneration. A drug that regenerates beta cells will eliminate insulin therapy.

The researchers proved that harmine works in mice that were genetically modified to have diabetes. The next step in the process is to identify the psychoactive portion of the harmine molecule and produce a compound that has the beta cell regeneration effects of harmine without the psychoactive effects. The manufacturers of insulin for diabetes will probably fight this development with the FDA to protect their profits.

• Like 7

Yeah, the researchers indicated that they intend to modify harmine to still work but without the RIMA/psychoactive effect. But lets be honest, they intend to modify it for a patent.

When used correctly the RIMA thing is a non-issue, particularly since this isnt an emergency-medicine context- people would have advanced warning.

I hope some day we see dosage and efficacy trials with harmine itself so people outside of wealthy nations will better benefit from it.

Perhaps Iran could do a trial with esphand, they've been doing a fair number of pharmacognosy trials lately.

• Like 2

Sulforaphane reduces hepatic glucose production and improves glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes

+ See all authors and affiliations

Science Translational Medicine  14 Jun 2017:

Vol. 9, Issue 394, eaah4477

DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aah4477

PRE_badge_MEDIUM_White_BG.jpg

You are currently viewing the abstract.

View Full Text

Another reason to eat your broccoli

Type 2 diabetes is becoming increasingly common worldwide, and not all patients can be successfully treated with the existing drugs. Axelsson et al. analyzed the pattern of gene expression associated with type 2 diabetes and compared it to the gene signatures for thousands of drug candidates to find compounds that could counteract the effects of diabetes. The leading candidate from this analysis was sulforaphane, a natural compound found in broccoli and other vegetables. The authors showed that sulforaphane inhibits glucose production in cultured cells and improves glucose tolerance in rodents on high-fat or high-fructose diets. Moreover, in a clinical trial, sulforaphane-containing broccoli sprout extract was well tolerated and improved fasting glucose in human patients with obesity and dysregulated type 2 diabetes.

Abstract

A potentially useful approach for drug discovery is to connect gene expression profiles of disease-affected tissues (“disease signatures”) to drug signatures, but it remains to be shown whether it can be used to identify clinically relevant treatment options. We analyzed coexpression networks and genetic data to identify a disease signature for type 2 diabetes in liver tissue. By interrogating a library of 3800 drug signatures, we identified sulforaphane as a compound that may reverse the disease signature. Sulforaphane suppressed glucose production from hepatic cells by nuclear translocation of nuclear factor erythroid 2–related factor 2 (NRF2) and decreased expression of key enzymes in gluconeogenesis. Moreover, sulforaphane reversed the disease signature in the livers from diabetic animals and attenuated exaggerated glucose production and glucose intolerance by a magnitude similar to that of metformin. Finally, sulforaphane, provided as concentrated broccoli sprout extract, reduced fasting blood glucose and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in obese patients with dysregulated type 2 diabetes.

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/9/394/eaah4477.full

• Like 2

Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder, I strongly feel it is related to the vaccines, type1 is on the rise and I see a correlation, has he been given shots for smallpox, tuberculosis or hib? i know i will prob cop some shit for saying that, i am used to it, my sister gotmighty cranky by me just mentioning it, but geese just research from a non bias view and connect the dots/data, anyhow its my view on it.

As far as I know consuming more omega-3 fatty acids can help relieve symptoms, i believe diet can very much relieve and maybe possibly reverse it, MAYBE.

Anyhow lots of good greens, veggies and such and consuming them raw is better because you want the antioxidants, even steaming removes/damages much of the goodness, alpha-lipoic acid can relieve some symptoms, its in spinach and broccoli, Turmeric is great for many reasons I wont detail them but it is worth a google, apples and onions have quercetin.

I believe eating lots of phytochemicals is of benefit, pawpaw, coriander red capsicum, watermelon and on and on, to keep it basic it is good to try get lots of different colours into the diet : )

Chilli/cayenne appears to have benefits for diabetes and worthy of researching, Also sage is called sage for a reason defo do some research about sage, its constituents and benefits.

monounsaturated fat may help control blood sugar, so like nuts and olive oil etc.

Also read the label of every food and see if it has numbers in the ingredients than it is safer to avoid , The book chemical maze can help see what is in many foods, there is poison in a shit ton of things, not only food but soaps, shampoo cosmetics etc. removing these toxins/chemicals can only help : )

Prob a good idea to avoid white foods and swap for brown, so no rice cereals, white flour/bread etc go for wholegrain/brown.

Don't want any fizzies or refined and processed carbs, cut out full fat dairy foods, or all dairy completely but make sure you have a good source of calcium, google things with high calcium content.

Cut out fatty meats or all meat all together (but maybe not fatty fish they are good in moderation) defo try minimise intake of trans fats and replace with plant fats.

Avoid fast food, don't even go near it, it is poison, it near always contains hydrogenated oils and refined starches. Just always stay away from fast food, it is bad for the health and wallet, it  is a great way to become malnourished and sick.

This current society in general is very ill and it is because one or all of these reasons, we over use and miss-use of pharmaceuticals and antibiotics, bad and unbalanced diet, consuming chemicals/toxins that are in many packet foods, not eating fresh foods (lack of antioxidants etc.) eating white foods rather than brown wholemeal foods, my opinion the use of vaccinations rather than natural preventives, lack of sunlight and exercise, Pollution, cosmetics (hair spray, many soaps, shampoos, makeup etc (many used for vanity another wide spread sickness in our society) ), (an alternative to shampoo is bicarb for shampoo and apple cider vinegar for conditioner), water impurities (tap water), to many sugar and processed foods, man the list goes on, one main thing to fail us in this largely sick, over weight and self-indulgent society is poor education largely because of greedy heartless corporations CORPSorations and industry, it's not all there fault as we should or i feel we should arm ourselves with knowledge and care enough about our vessel/temple to at least read the ingredients in foods, we must arm ourselves with independent knowledge as well, as to gain a more rounded and holistic view on health, nutrition, environment etc. t.v is a brainwashing tool i am sure and in combination with the chemicals they have rendered many around me unrecognizable compared to the former human i once knew, i am watching everything turn to shit on a large scale and it is so very disheartening, i do not judge but this is what i have observed during my short time in this realm.

I believe it all can be turned around when we support and encourage each other, be what you/we feel is missing in the world, after that rant i hope it is seen as coming from love for my brother and sisters and the environment which supports/sustains us, i say all this from love and hope, please i hope no one will personalise any of what i express as it will take away from the intended purpose and message of sharing all this.

Here is a link to a vid i made if ya wanna look, some helpful info in the description, its not much but may be a starting point, or encouragement for those wanting to better there health for them and there family.

I am drawing a line at this .....diabetes has fckn NOTHING to do with vaccination. There is NO correlation.

The fact YOU FEEL STRONGLY about something dont make it so. 

You are going more off tap by the day @bardo

EDIT - I apologise to fenris for my tone in his thread

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

Hey @bardo
I hope you dont feel like im twisting your words again 

1 hour ago, bardo said:

Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder, I strongly feel it is related to the vaccines, type1 is on the rise and I see a correlation,

What makes you feel these two phenomenons are related?

Are you referring to a specific vaccine, or are you equally paranoid about them all?

Try to keep in mind that correlation doesn't imply causation. 

18 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

I am drawing a line at this .....diabetes has fckn NOTHING to do with vaccination. There is NO correlation.

The fact YOU FEEL STRONGLY about something dont make it so. 

You are going more off tap by the day @bardo

EDIT - I apologise to fenris for my tone in his thread

Maybe I am mad it is possible, How am I off tap?

Yes you are correct that if one feels strongly about something it doesn't make it so that is why I worded it that way, I can not provide proof for vaccines being connected to ailments/disease and that is why I expressed my view as such, one possible correlation is the increase of type one diabetes and other ailments/diseases and the increase of vaccinations, they are jabbing people for everything and at very young ages, it is of the hook. Do we know all the short and long term effects on human development and immune system from these things? no we are the lad rats, have I said vaccines cause these things? No, I simply stated how I FEEL about it and expressing concern.

18 hours ago, Change said:

Hey @bardo
I hope you dont feel like im twisting your words again 

What makes you feel these two phenomenons are related?

Are you referring to a specific vaccine, or are you equally paranoid about them all?

Try to keep in mind that correlation doesn't imply causation. 

Good question, the increase of auto immune disease whilst there is an increase in autoimmunizations is one, I expressed my view not as fact but a possible correlation between the two, I feel we created near all or many modern health, social, economical and environmental issues with the war against mentality rather than a synergise with mentality, Also the chemicals in many packet foods are reasonably new to the human diet and i believe there should be some concern in regards to there safety and consumption. Hey i don't know but i can connect dots and man things like asthma is of the charts and in many actually all of those i have examined who suffer asthma i have noted they consume products that contain chemicals that are believed to cause or aggravate the condition. I am going on a bit of a tangent here but try follow and maybe you will see my logic.

Now when you take this type of examination and apply it more widely there is i feel reason to be cautious at least and reason to study/research vaccines to be better informed before taking the jab, I may appear paranoid but i rather the path of caution than over trusting, i can see through historical accounts the many horrible things the medical field and government have done in the past and i feel justified in my concern. I am not demonizing the main stream medical field they are great for many things but nutrition is not really a strong point , i feel  to much treating symptoms and drug pushing and not curing, treating the cause, sickness is a multi billion dollar industry, To be conscious and concerned with what goes into ones body is to me sound and logical. 

They cut cancers out or radiate them (which is a carcinogen) that is not healing, to heal you must heal the whole body or problems will persist or return. The cause should be the main focus rather than treatment of symptoms a cancer is a symptom, that is an example. Many diseases are preventable and i feel many are reversible. .

Some children by the age of 6 receive well over 40 doses of  up to 14 vaccines, that is crazy to me, i used to get put with the kids with chicken pox to build immunity not get injected with a serum, I am not qualified to tell someone what to do in the case of immunity or diabetes and have not told anyone what to do i am just expressing my view and i feel much of what i have said in my post in regards to diabetes is relevant and can be of benefit for sufferers.

I hope that i have answered in a way that is somewhat coherent and relevant.

5 hours ago, bardo said:

Anyhow lots of good greens, veggies and such and consuming them raw is better because you want the antioxidants

...or maybe you don't:

Antioxidants May Make Cancer Worse

Scientific American, By Melinda Wenner Moyer on October 7, 2015

Antioxidants are supposed to keep your cells healthy. That is why millions of people gobble supplements like vitamin E and beta-carotene each year. Today, however, a new study adds to a growing body of research suggesting these supplements actually have a harmful effect in one serious disease: cancer.

The work, conducted in mice, shows that antioxidants can change cells in ways that fuel the spread of malignant melanoma—the most serious skin cancer—to different parts of the body. The progression makes the disease even more deadly. Earlier studies of antioxidant supplement use by people have also hinted at a cancer-promoting effect. A large trial reported in 1994 (pdf) that daily megadoses of the antioxidant beta-carotene increased the risk of lung cancer in male smokers by 18 percent and a 1996 trial was stopped early after researchers discovered that high-dose beta-carotene and retinol, another form of vitamin A, increased lung cancer risk by 28 percent in smokers and workers exposed to asbestos. More recently, a 2011 trial involving more than 35,500 men over 50 found that large doses of vitamin E increased the risk of prostate cancer by 17 percent. These findings had puzzled researchers because the conventional wisdom is that antioxidants should lower cancer risk by neutralizing cell-damaging, cancer-causing free radicals.

But scientists now think that antioxidants, at high enough levels, also protect cancer cells from these same free radicals. “There now exists a sizable quantity of data suggesting that antioxidants can help cancer cells much like they help normal cells,” says Zachary Schafer, a biologist at the University of Notre Dame, who was not involved in the new study. Last year the scientists behind the melanoma study found that antioxidants fuel the growth of another type of malignancy, lung cancer.

These molecular investigations shed light on the large human trials that have implicated antioxidants in cancer. It is possible that the supplements did not triggercancer but rather accelerated the progression of existing undiagnosed cancers, making later discovery of the disease likely.In other words, it “could be that while antioxidants might prevent DNA damage—and thus impede tumor initiation—once a tumor is established, antioxidants might facilitate the malignant behavior of cancer cells,” Schafer says.

Yet another example of people confusing correlation with causation. Everyone is doing it, not only anti-vaxxers but cancer research scientists as well, and everyone in between... I wonder if this is something that we will ever grow out of, as a society? Wouldn't that be nice? If people actually learned statistics and rational thinking in schools, so they could learn how to question things, rather than just deciding that one thing they have been taught is sus, so it must all be sus, right?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Anodyne said:

...or maybe you don't:

Yet another example of people confusing correlation with causation. Everyone is doing it, not only anti-vaxxers but cancer research scientists as well, and everyone in between... I wonder if this is something that we will ever grow out of, as a society? Wouldn't that be nice? If people actually learned statistics and rational thinking in schools, so they could learn how to question things, rather than just deciding that one thing they have been taught is sus, so it must all be sus, right?

Are you trying to say or discredit the idea that lots veggies are recommended and good for health and diabetes ? What is the purpose of this comment ? I said antioxidants from good greens and veggies etc not supplements, that study is about supplements and some parts the data is derived from studies on mega doses, Balance is important.

Supplements are not the best way to study effects of antioxidants because they do not assimilate the same way as whole foods which contains antioxidants, also many supplements contain fillers like-  Hydrogenated Oils, Artificial Colours, Magnesium Stearate and  Titanium Dioxide, https://draxe.com/4-dangerous-and-common-vitamin-fillers-you-must-avoid/   .

the article you shared is not relevant to my suggestion to eat veggies because it is about supplements and I have not and would not recommend supplements to anyone tho I would recommend a healthy and balanced diet and I feel I can do that with good reasoning.

I agree it is important to question things, for one thing it helps to have broader understanding of things.

The first paragraph I wrote I clearly stated it was only my view, all other info I shared I believe to be valid as far as I know, I also said I am not qualified in regards to diabetes and autoimmune diseases, I am just sharing my current knowledge out of care and hopes it may help in some way or inspire research that may lead to beneficial information. 

Who is saying if one thing is sus all things must be sus? it is idiocracy to state such a thing and has no relevance to diabetes, disease or ailments.

Maybe some others can help or share there views and knowledge to possibly help or give insight to this awful situation instead of us deviating from this important question posed by fenris to go into non relevant arguments and semantics. How bout starting a new thread where you can talk about this stuff or if you want to discus something I have said maybe message me, this is not the place to be going into these tangents.

So sorry Fenris, I had no attention for my sharing of thoughts and knowledge to turn like this and for the tread to be so dirtied by it. My apologies for the digression.

6 hours ago, bardo said:

Are you trying to say or discredit the idea that lots veggies are recommended and good for health and diabetes ?

No. I'm not a subtle person generally speaking - if that was what I was trying to say, I woulda just said it. I was simply saying that your blanket "antioxidants are good for you" concept may be flawed.

6 hours ago, bardo said:

the article you shared is not relevant to my suggestion to eat veggies because it is about supplements

Yes, researchers tend to use pure compounds where they can - the reason that they do this is because it's really REALLY difficult to separate out the effects of a bunch of different things - it is often easier to find out what is going on if you just isolate them and look at them one at a time.

6 hours ago, bardo said:

How bout starting a new thread where you can talk about this stuff or if you want to discus something I have said maybe message me, this is not the place to be going into these tangents.

Nope. You're giving general lifestyle advice in response to a specific question. And don't get me wrong, I agree with lots of it. But you posted it here, so here is where I responded. If you want to start a general "healthy eating" thread where you discuss your views, I will happily respond there instead.

21 hours ago, Anodyne said:

I was simply saying that your blanket "antioxidants are good for you" concept may be flawed.

You used quotation marks incorrectly because i didn't say "antioxidants are good for you" I said word for word-  Anyhow lots of good greens, veggies and such and consuming them raw is better because you want the antioxidants. See the difference, I wasn't saying eating extracted isolated forms of antioxidants are good, I was saying the greens and veggies are good to eat and that raw is better because heat can harm or destroy the antioxidants.

Do you believe that logic or information is flawed? and if so what do you recommend ? if you don't think it is flawed then what are you trying to achieve here?

Fenris, my heart goes out to you and your family. At 2 years old, that just isn't fair. It's been a while, mate. How's everything going?

• Like 1