The Corroboree
MountainGoat

The Carolina Reaper

What do you do with these guys? Has anyone actually tried to eat one? I just ate a habeñero and that's well and truly hot enough to be unpleasant...

What do you do with these guys? Has anyone actually tried to eat one? I just ate a habeñero and that's well and truly hot enough to be unpleasant...

Had a half of one thru a plate of curry a few weeks ago, stomach was churning for a few hours...

Good for making sauces!

• Like 2

I put one in a nice bottle of olive oil with about 5 chopped in half garlic cloves. Makes a nice salad dressing.

• Like 6

Good if you wanna make your own pepper spray probably. I've given away some seeds and for trades but haven't grown it myself, I think the superhots can be a bit of a dickpulling contest really.

I'm of the opinion that with chillies they don't need to blow your head off - it's the flavour and the level of heat that you find palatable that you should be growing. I'm getting into milder habanero cultivars for this reason actually - love the hab flavour but to be honest I can do without that much heat all the time. So I'm growing the "Trinity" cultivar of habanero (~40,000 SHU), and also another milder chinense plant known as rocotillo that still has that hab fruitiness apparently but only 2,500 or so SHU. Think slightly hotter than jalapeno heat with hab flavour...they're ridiculously popular in the carribean - it's the main chilli used in Jamaican jerk dishes. But it seems to be nowhere in Australia so I imported my seeds. Just planted them today :)

• Like 6

I enjoy the heat & flavour of the trinidad scorpions, but I'll eat one over the course of an hour or two lol. Unless alot of money was offered, I doubt I'd eat one whole.

Love picking aji's and eating them off the bush. They beautiful and absolutely tolerable! Looking forward to my habs fruiting too! My first hab season tbh :)

What's everyone's opinion on tolerance? My old man got me into spicy foods from a young age. Now, he's a big girl & won't even touch tabasco sauce. To me this is very odd, especially since he was so encouraging/enthusiastic when he was younger.

• Like 1

Pimenta Luna is a good chinense variety with awesome hab flavour and virtually no heat.

I used to eat raw superhots for a buzz, but I'd often have to have a good lie down afterwards. They don't just burn at both ends, you get some pretty intense internal discomfort too.

I find once you get to several hundred thousand shu's, there's not a whole lot of difference except where the pain hits you first. I get intense tongue pain from 7pots, nagas and scorps hit my throat, habs burn my lips...

Edited by Glaukus

What's everyone's opinion on tolerance? My old man got me into spicy foods from a young age. Now, he's a big girl & won't even touch tabasco sauce. To me this is very odd, especially since he was so encouraging/enthusiastic when he was younger.

I think it's like riding a bicycle, got to keep at it to keep the skill up. I know if I stop eating stupidly hot stuff for a while I find that I can't handle the hot stuff..

• Like 1

The flesh is death. Haven't even tried the seeds.

• Like 3

Most likely a hotter one will be bred this year. They'll be illegal soon.

• Like 3

They're already hotter than standard police pepper spray!

I thought pepper spray was around 5,000,000 SHU ?

Yeah they're not as hot as pepper spray...yet. Give it a few more years of breeding and maybe, who knows.

Surely there will be a limit and it will be reached soon.

• Like 2

I wish i could buy police pepper spray so i could spray it on anything that needed a little spicing up. I've got a heap of butch ts x carolina reaper, trinidad scorpians and a couple carolina reapers growing. HAvent had a lot of fruit tis year because i planted a bit late but next year I should get heaps.

I plan to use them to make a fermented chilli sauce like tobasco but actually hot.

My favourite tasting one is probably the bhut jolokias.

• Like 1

Pepper spray in like 5-15mil i think?

I was growing to grow this plant this year, do you think i can cross the reaper with a bhut jolokia or a trinidad scropion?

I wish i could buy police pepper spray so i could spray it on anything that needed a little spicing up. I've got a heap of butch ts x carolina reaper, trinidad scorpians and a couple carolina reapers growing. HAvent had a lot of fruit tis year because i planted a bit late but next year I should get heaps.

I plan to use them to make a fermented chilli sauce like tobasco but actually hot.

You can buy pepper spray in Aus, not police spec but still brutal (and gross tasting)

Made a sauce out of reapers and ghosts. I used green and red ghosts and red reapers. The sauce is tasty - for about 3 nanoseconds - then it hits.

The ghosts and the reapers we grow are really fruity - citrus like - but the heat is ridiculous.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll see through time.

• Like 6

The butt jokers - aka ghosts - are seriously fruity, but you gotta be careful about separation - they will crossbreed with errrrrything

My favorite chilli would have to be sweet thai, It is comparable to heat and flavour as a jalapeno, but a little more tasty (imo). My wife made an accidental hybrid between a banana horn (giant heatless chilli - aka a capsicum) and sweet thai chilli, and it was very very tasty, but unfortunately the plants reverted and the fruit was hit and miss. Sometimes they were hot, sometimes not. Such a shame because it was the nicest chlli i ever tasted.

• Like 1

I've yet to grow reapers, but I do grow quite a few 'super hots' every year.

I store them fresh in the fridge until I have enough to dry a batch.

When they are completely dry, I store them in air-tight jars.

I then grind them as required with a mortar and pestle, to use in cooking throughout the year.

It's easy to control the heat this way and none goes to waste. A little goes a long way.

• Like 4

To me, moruga scorpions and carolina reapers are just unnecessarily hot, a pissing contest to see who'll be able to grow and/or eat the hottest pepper.

I do enjoy very hot peppers, chocolate habaneros are my favorite taste wise, and I make a hot sauce from them with a couple bhuts or trinidad scorpions added for the extra kick. A drop or two is enough to make a dish smell wonderfully and be deliciously spicy. I guess carolina reapers would work instead of scorpions, depending on their taste, some superhots taste nasty.

• Like 2

Might be useful to have some small pieces of these super hot chillies on standby if your doing a deep journey. Wade davis in the book one river mentions that some shamans in the amazon use chilli to reconnect with the body if they find themselves flying too high. Inhaling the vapour given off from the fry pan when cooking with chilli does have a focusing effect somewhat similar to nicotine.

• Like 1

I am growing the Carolina reapers this year. Have a nice sized moruga scorpion that provided me with enough fruits to last me a few months. I would probably not eat a whole scorpion though I enjoy small chunks of it raw or thinly sliced dried fragments in a meal.

I think there may be some merit to shamanic use of chillis. Very cleansing prior to a journey. Though I'd imagine if one were to purge after eating a super hot it may not be overly pleasant :P