The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheExplorer

Mold on Tricho fruits

Hi all

A few months back there was a big scop orgy (between 5 flowering plants) at my place which resulted in 5 nice looking fruits of pure scop seed. However, I got busy for a few days at work and some sort of grey/green mold has infected most of the fruits. Some only have a little bit and I will get the seeds out today, but some have just turned into lumps of mold. Thing is, it looks like the mold has eaten away all of the flesh and left the seeds behind. Do you guys reckon the seeds will still be good if I wash them out and put them in a bit of diluted hydrogen peroxide or something?

Thanks,

T.E.

• Like 2

rinse 'em in a bleach & water solution then dry & they should be good to go.

water separation allows removal of the floaters

• Like 2

.. maybe bleach&water for a short while ..then pure water to remove the bleach remnants ..

Edited by mysubtleascention

.. maybe bleach&water for a short while ..then pure water to remove the bleach remnants ..

disappointing response m.a.n

i thought for sure youfor would make haiku for this

hiss

• Like 2

5 minute soak in 9% bleach, then washed with clean water, completely eliminated molds and did not reduce viability, maybe even increased it by damaging the outer coat of some stuborn seeds.

Btw I tried washing them in peroxide several times, also didnt find it helped me much.

One tip I have to stress for cleaning seeds with bleach or hydrogen pyroxide, do not do it after a pretreatment like a water soak or GA3 soak. I once was sowing 500 L. williamsii seeds and I pretreated them with GA3 (24 hour soak) then did a 15 minute bleach soak and it killed all of them. I had done the bleach treatment in the past with no issues on the same seeds. I suspect the seed shells were soft from the water soak and allowed the bleach to kill the embryo.

Not a problem. This is is a common thing with the seed from some collectors and if you clean the seeds well enough, it shouldnt be a problem. However, it can decrease the viability.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Recently had a fast mold development in the trays /24-48h after sowing/,which was successfully coped with spraying thiophanate-methyl systemic fungicide,for three subsequent days..

The seeds were collected fom a mouldy fruit as well..

B)

Bleach treatment /5 min./didn't work ..