The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Gorgeous wine

Dunno how many of you met Martin at EB3, it was his third conference I think, quiet, unassuming, really sweet bloke. Anyhow he waits til THIS conference to tell me he makes wine. Well, not just makes it, lovingly crafts it after years of training and lots of fuss and heavy thinking, but that's the kind of sweet unassuming guy he is

I had a few bottles over the seasonal festies and let me tell you that the chardonnay is fucking nectar. Excellent. Best I've ever had. The kind of ambrosia best served really chilled on summer evenings, evoking nostalgia while you sit on a porch somewhere with a dear friend musing gently over the events of a fading summer.

OKOK many of you know I have a cloth palatte, but this stuff is the berries. Formerly my total knowledge of wine has been linked to a) buy the red one and B) if it gets you pissed, it works.

Admittedly I've never got the hang of pinot noir, and the shiraz-viognier ( yes I am reading the brochure :) ) went down a right treat with a roast pork shoulder my bro made for lunch on Sunday so def I'll grab a few bottles of that. But the chardonnay...mmmmmmmmm

Fortunately Martin politely aquiesced ( how's the spelling going here? ) when I asked him if I could give his excellent work an unabashed plug on the forums, so here's the URL:

www.metierwines.com.au

an' I strongly recommend you go there and have a butcher's- even if you don't know Martin, and especially if you do. And don't grab all the chardonnay til I've put my order in tomorrow :)

This has also been bought to you in the interests of wine, which is an age old ethnobotanical, and the cause of many EB related dinner party hangovers, and which tastes much better than beer. Wine should get equal air time- no- greater air time than beer, cos it tastes better. Beer tastes like shit. People talk too much about beer here anyhow they should talk more about wine. Especially this wine.

Martin you are a god among vintners :cool: :D

[ 06. January 2004, 19:55: Message edited by: Darklight ]

it's interesting the effect wine has, when i first got drunk on wine i was very struck by the difference to being drunk on beer or spirits.

Cool,will check the link,and,granted,a nice Cab/Sauv/Merlot shits all over any commercial beer.....

but mesc's home-brew leaves chardonnay for dead!(blaah!) back at ya DL :P

Holy shit Martin, with the amount of time I spent getting to know you, you'd think this mighta just popped up? Heh, and im still reeling in awe from the perfect white star off the dinner plate in the kitchen hahahaha. jeez.

Anyways im a bit of a wine drinker myself. Although not too adventurous usually just a bottle of Wolf Blass Cab Sav off the shelf, or a shiraz but yeah I stick to my comfort zones.

Anyways on sunday morning I went Blueberry picking in Emerald and when I went to pay for my Buleberries I saw that they were selling homemade blueberry wine! This stuff was so delicious and sweet it was unreal. I bought 3 bottles!

Only 7 bucks each too. Bargain!

red wine is very high in iron.

i love australian shiraz-cab-even sab, lol.

the soil is so old here, and the climat unique,

even some nice white wines are grown around act...

australien wines are highly rated.

wished they had:

hirter and goesser and stigel bock bier in oz,]

hmmm, no such thing as high alc % beers in oztralia...,

damm:

i want bock beer!

-----------------------------------------------

jolaridioeehhh, strong beer,

leontopodium alpinum,

jolaridioeh...

[ 07. January 2004, 11:20: Message edited by: planthelper ]

quote:

Originally posted by planthelper:

wished they had:

hirter and goesser and stigel bock bier in oz,]

hmmm, no such thing as high alc % beers in oztralia...,

damm:

i want bock beer!

You could try Cooper's Dark ... that's got a hell kick ... We've got heaps of boutique breweries in WA that do high % dark beers ... or you could microbrew

but we also have a German resteraunt just down the road that does imported doppelbock and smoked beer ... yumm

fuck, doppel bock sounds, marvelous.

unfortunately not avail. localy.

See, it always gets back to bloody beer. Get yer own thread beer ppl Nasty stuff.

Martins wine is way nicer than beer. Especially the chardonnay. Bump :P

[ 07. January 2004, 15:10: Message edited by: Darklight ]

i think it's a legacy of your 'beer tastes like shit' comment. i was going to haul off a string of my favourite beer types in response to that serious and slanderous allegation but held my tongue coz i can still recall the length of the last beer topic that fronted.

I like beer. I mean I REALLY like beer :)

But I would never drink beer with a good dinner. In fact beer doesn't go well with food in my opinion. It's kinda a food group in itself

Martin's wine is amazing!!

I've tasted and drunk a lot of australian wines (used to purchase for restaurants direct from cellar door), and I like my victorian whites and SA & WA reds. I've also drunk a lot of excellent european wines, both as a child (yep, I started early) and later when travelling. Martin's wine displays a complexity of flavours rarely experienced in australia, while maintaining some truely unique australian style.

The chardonnay was very drinkable now, but could probably do with a year or two to mellow the acid for those with sensitive tummies

no such thing as high alc % beers in oztralia...,

damm:

There is a beer called moonshine which is 13% and the company which makes it also has a 8% beer.

The only thing is that moonshine is $100 a carton.

Darklight don't get too upset with this posting as I think that technically moonshine is a malt or barley wine.

Guest Mortph-man

Hey Darklight,

Glad you enjoyed the brews

Thanks heaps for the wunnerful comments... have a great day on Sat!

martin

Morph-man:

Glad you enjoyed the brews

Hey cob, you scared me for a minute :) Til I read your sig I thought you were referring to the B word

Enjoyed wasn't the word. Euphoria would be a better one. GLAD to see you aboard there- ahoy! :D

cool, martin is just up the road from me (well a bit further lol)

dads been a brewer.. ah the dreader b word sorry dl lol, for nearly 36 years ...and wine lover basically the same if not longer. Will have to make a trip up there in the near future.

Is the vineyard open to the public martin?

AND it's Martin's birthday today AND my wine turned up today. What a reason to celebrate! :D

I think he was planning to have a few glasses of champagne. Note that everyone- NOT beer, the good stuff instead :P

Happy birthday Martin! I think I'll open a bottle of yer chardonnay in your honour!

Heheheh, i also have a nearby german resturaunt which sells imported beers :D . Anyway, why not make some dopplebock of your own ? I have to say, after been brewing for a while now i havent been bothered to make any bocks (harder to make - boiling roasted grains/lagering in a fridge required for authentic taste), but it is possible and i shall soon hopefuly :D .

Also, on the topic of wines... is it possible that different types of alcohols have slightly different effects due to the makeup of the alcohols (although usualy VERY similar)? E.g., red wine has more methanol (and subsequently a worse handover ) than other drinks (especialy vodka/gin).

I would have to agree :cool:

The red/port hangover is very different from the white headache and the beer bile ....all unique in effect and hangover.

planthelper:

i want bock beer!

I used work in a Turkish Restaurant

Bock is turkish for shit

It was funny when the BOC gas truck used to pull up :)