The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spooge

what to graft this to?

This is a very nice plant i bought recently.

post-13829-0-43431200-1423744484_thumb.j post-13829-0-21317500-1423744534_thumb.j

i'm going to chop some bits off it tomoz, and graft them to pere mostly, some to trichs.

So the crest is very nice and the plant has a few double heads as well, i must graft these to a stock thats suitable-

-what would people suggest this crest be grafted to?

should it be Trichocereus...... and if so, which type? Or should it be Pereskiopsis or Hylocereus........or something else?

or don't it matter?

what do you think would be a good stock?

any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated :)

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

• Like 8

Second picture: That there is a very nice crest sir, you be extra careful and graft it to the fattest pc pach you can find. Trust me it will be worth it. Any fat columnar cactus with wide spacious vascular ring

I would start grafting the smaller ones to anything i can find. What kinda stock you got lying around?

• Like 3

i would prefer to graft it onto one of the less spiny varieties of trichocereus.

i only really use pereskiopsis for seedling and areole grafts

• Like 2

Second picture: That there is a very nice crest sir, you be extra careful and graft it to the fattest pc pach you can find. Trust me it will be worth it. Any fat columnar cactus with wide spacious vascular ring

I would start grafting the smaller ones to anything i can find. What kinda stock you got lying around?

I'm gonna be super careful. :)

Will graft the crest to a pach as suggested, got some more trichs, spach and some pere to put some of the other pups on.

Got a few things to do now, then I'm gonna do it, been putting it off all morning.

I'll put up some pics of the graft once it done.

Thanks Gr33ntea and Coolname for your advice.

• Like 1

short term game plan, every 3-5 yrs, -----> graft n keep on grafting

long term game plan, lifetime, -----> own roots

myself, I'd opt for own roots & as for grafting i'd recommend myrt geo-m for rootstock

rather difficult to grow a grafted plant for 20+ years without constant re grafting and other issues

• Like 3

short term game plan, every 3-5 yrs, -----> graft n keep on grafting

long term game plan, lifetime, -----> own roots

myself, I'd opt for own roots & as for grafting i'd recommend myrt geo-m for rootstock

rather difficult to grow a grafted plant for 20+ years without constant re grafting and other issues

Been doing some other ones and came in to check this, thanks Zelly.

I'm going to graft it to get it bigger then cut it off and plant it.

'Long term game plan, lifetime - own roots'

As there are 2 suggestions for stock, myrtillo g or pach I will cut the loph crest in half and put half on each............

Nah

Myrtillo G it is.

• Like 1

Beautiful plant there mate. You must be sooo happy! I'd be beaming with smiles!! ❤️

My best and fastest grown graft is on myrt geo.

• Like 2

Would graft this on a Candicans or a Spachianus. They are great for grafting and can take the weight.

• Like 1

I don't like myrtilocactus geometrizans as it doesn't suit the cold weather i get. I would personally use Trichocereus. Either way, try and guess as to the size of the vascular bundle. The crest will have two strips of bundle or an oval shape.

Sexy plant by the way.

• Like 1

Had a few issues with myrti here in the winter, the tips of some plants started to spot and rot.

i will keep an eagle eye on the grafts and move them under warm ights if there are problems starting.

n' this is how it all went...........

post-13829-0-42227900-1424043961_thumb.j post-13829-0-31809200-1424043975_thumb.j

The crest on myrtillo cactus G.

would have liked to carve the myrti down a bit like more experienced grafters do so the crest hangs nicely either side of the graft stock, was shit scared just incase so i didn't do it.

post-13829-0-81606900-1424044006_thumb.j post-13829-0-25315600-1424043988_thumb.j

dichotomous heads on spach and pach, were a few of these on the clump, with another forming on the mother.

post-13829-0-30816500-1424044269_thumb.j

pups on spach, pach, myrti and hylo.

The arse of the clump is in the middle of the pic on a spach

post-13829-0-76224500-1424044018_thumb.j

The mum regrafted on pach

i put some pups on pere as well.

theres another lot of grafts on pach with the smallest pups from the clump, these were developing some orange tinges on top in parts yesterday arvo so they are under a warm light now and were looking much nicer this morn, looking as if the orange has dried out and hopefully will die.

I had quite a few grafts rot from this in the last lot of grafts i did so I will be extra vigilant with these.

Thanks for the very helpful input guys :)

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

• Like 5

Hey mate,, lookin good. Agree that myrt can be tricky during colder times. Just don't water unless they look a bit on the thin side. Even then just a sip. I've lost a cupl from overwatering. I think they get enough moisture from the atmosphere during those times.

My hand is up if you ever wana get rid of one of those gorgeous freaky specimens

• Like 1