The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Symplocos stawellii or the White Hazelwood

Does anyone have White Hazelwood? Or have access to one?

The leaves of Its cousin Symplocos tinctoria is used as a mordant in dying & i was wondering if S stawellii might be able to be used in a similar manner?

Hi Shortly,

I know the whereabouts of a few in the bush - most not particularly easy to get to. I have only grown it once because the fruits are sooo tasty to birds that it is nearly impossible to collect viable fruit. As soon as they are ripe they are snavelled at first light by our avian friends. If you are interested in foliage then let me know and I will gather some next time I come across one in the bush (potentially as early as tomorrow because I am doing fieldwork in an area with a few scattered individuals)

peace

Oh.. in case you were not aware there are other native species including Symplocos thwaitesii and the threatened S. baeuerlenii..

Thanks Tarenna that would be great. A score or so leaves is all we need for a trial.

And any of the species would be appreciated. I just though of S stawellii because it was the one i knew.

Oh and it could be handy to know what the soil type is that they are growing on. I have read that Symplocos are quite good at bioaccumulating metals like aluminium, which is why S tinctoria makes such a good mordant. I'm told that ts particularly good with reds.

• Like 1