The Corroboree
ace1928

Wish people would stop spouting pseudo bullshit

This thread really turned into everything the op was against, didn't it! Haha :-)

• Like 5

Articles and papers are great, but when you've been close to someone on the brink, and medication saves their life, then there's really not much point in debating it.

That's why I said CAN.

I was on the brink. I believe personally that they along with counselling and my family saved mine.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

man, i cant believe i didn't kick up a stink like this. what a wasted opportunity. :P

• Like 4

Articles and papers are great, but when you've been close to someone on the brink, and medication saves their life, then there's really not much point in debating it.

So, rather than look at evidence-based medicine, you prefer to just go off a few personal anecdotes? My story is quite the opposite if you're wanting to play that game. I've tried 7 different antidepressants across different classes, multiple psychiatrists, psychologists & counsellors and different brain-dead therapies -- yet feel more suicidal than ever. Go figure.

The studies & evidence surrounding therapies such as CBT, DBT, ACT, etc are even more dubious than that of antidepressants (and other psychiatric medications such as antipsychotics). Paul Moloney has a great book out titled 'The Therapy Industry' covering this if anyone is interested.

Edited by goneski

I didn't say "one size fits all", I said, not much point debating.

Edited by Glaukus

I didn't say "one size fits all", I said, not much point debating.

I never said 'one size fits all' either. You provided a personal anecdote, then somehow jumped to the conclusion that there was no point debating. Why is that? Is it because that one anecdote trumps all discussion and debate surrounding antidepressants?

Edited by goneski

I said no point in debating, because I'm not interested in debating. Yet here I am...this thread seems to make people cranky.

It makes me giggle about how stupid everyone is. HAHAHALOLOLOLHAHAA!

• Like 4

This op is bullshit. The problem with quoting any medical research of any kind is that it only ever applies to the cohort examined within the parameters and variables of the study.

people generally run in opinion bias and then look for studies that back that up.

but in truth no position or contention is a sacred cow; all can be deconstructed with new and better research.

• Like 2

The truth is - there is no truth bar what you find applies you AND even then it should always be applied with a heavy dose of doubt

I posted this elsewhere, but it seems relevant to this thread:

Ignore the sensationalistic title -- it's actually a very good talk & applicable to Western medicine as a whole. Also keep in mind I consider myself a reductionist & materialist.. But I don't follow this whole ridiculous false dichotomy of science versus whatever else seems to be lumped together nowadays (including genuine skepticism, unfortunately). I welcome any well reasoned (and well seasoned..mmm) skepticism. The way that people seem to just pick sides and play silly games of tug-of-war really just detracts from the conversation and stifles any genuine debate.

Edited by goneski

Wow, i didnt realize just how many superior beings we have here at SAB.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

No, I just refuse to get dragged into yet another derpy shit-flinging match. I'm out.

• Like 1

Wow, i didnt realize just how many superior beings we have here at SAB.

:rolleyes:

yes there's quite a few of us actually

• Like 2

Its a shame to loose you Goneski

Your contributions are always of the highest level of superiority :lol:

pseudoscience

noun
  1. a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.
scientific method
noun
  1. a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses