The Corroboree
Gimli

Killing a plant that's originated next door..

Hi SAB,

I have a few questions...

1) can someone please ID this vine for me?

post-15739-0-94685100-1423105348_thumb.j

2) I am replacing the fence soon but I am just sick and tired of having to cut back this vine (every 6-8 weeks) that keeps coming over, it covers next doors entire shed room (at least 4x4m) and is a pretty quick grower.. Would there be any repercussions if I poisoned said vine from my side of the fence?

I have spoken to the neighbors and they don't seem to give a fuck the vine is coming onto my property - my neighbor is pretty ignorant in regards to most things, particularly keeping cats on her property (or lack of keeping them there)

Thoughts/opinions?

Cheers

post-15739-0-94685100-1423105348_thumb.jpg

post-15739-0-94685100-1423105348_thumb.jpg

If you have negotiated with them and they don't care, poison it.

If it is on your side of the fence you have every right to poison what is on 'your' side. If that happens to affect what is on the other side woops.

But that's me, and I am a bit of an arsehole when it comes to neighbours that don't care.

• Like 1

Anredera cordifolia, it's a noxious weed in Australia so in fact you have a responsibility to kill it.

apparently the tubers are edible.. haven't tested it out yet though

Edited by paradox

Got some woman harping on via a facebook gardening group that I'd be open to a lawsuit should my neighbors find out I kill it lol

Cheers for the ID and the info, paradox! Will look into it a bit more and then see what I can do about this weed since my neighbors don't seem to give a fuck

not saying you should but far from a lawsuit against you, technically you could report the noxious weed infestation to the council & your neighbor would be required by law to remove it themselves.. That would kind of make you the cunty neighbor though..

• Like 2

i don't know anything about noxious weed laws for WA but i'd imagine if anything they'd be even tougher than NSW.

I am not all that worried about coming off as a cunt neighbor.

Might see what the council says..

• Like 1

Yeah mate. Ask the council they may be able to ask her to get rid of it if it is a noxious weed. But yeah otherwise cut and paint it

this guy might be worth a try, although council will surly let you know

Mr Rod Randall
Invasive Species Science
Dept of Agriculture and Food Western Australia
100 Bougainvillea Avenue
FORRESTFIELD WA 6058

Ph. (08) 9366 2338
Fax. (08) 9366 2342

Email: [email protected]

Afternoon Mr XXXX,

Anredera cordifolia may be a weed of national significance but it is not a weed per se in Western Australia. Its real impacts are felt in the tropics and what your experiencing is really only a fraction of the way it behaves in north Queensland.
That said any way you look at it this is a neighbour to neighbour issue.
Under the rules laid down by local government on property boundaries you are entitled to control any plants that cross the property boundary into your property. But you can’t kill or injure these plants beyond that boundary. If you’ve had issues with your neighbours in the past I agree that will make things difficult but they have no obligations to remove or control this species so boundary maintenance may be the only real option you have left.

This was the reply I got from Dept of Agriculture.

Just pull it out yeah ?? :scratchhead:

Just pull it out yeah ?? :scratchhead:

I would if I was allowed, unfortunately it's not that simple.

* I didn't know Grazon would kill the whole plant....lol

We have Anredera coming through the fence from one of our neighbours. His place is heavily infested with it, in a subtropical landscape where it is the worst form of environmental cancer. I remove every stem that comes across the boundary.

I had heard the tubers are edible and that the leaves have a laxative effect. Apparently this vine was planted across the dunnies of early pioneer houses and it is how it initially became widespread.

Horror weed.

* I didn't know Grazon would kill the whole plant....lol

Someone said Fusilade injected in the vines?

Will try both over the course of a few weeks/months.

We have Anredera coming through the fence from one of our neighbours. His place is heavily infested with it, in a subtropical landscape where it is the worst form of environmental cancer. I remove every stem that comes across the boundary.

I had heard the tubers are edible and that the leaves have a laxative effect. Apparently this vine was planted across the dunnies of early pioneer houses and it is how it initially became widespread.

Horror weed.

This one coming over my fence is also just starting to creep over the fence at the back into the yard of a set of unit houses. Can't believe people just don't care about letting things get out of hand.

Poison the fucker :devil:, deny any involvement!

• Like 1

they have enormous amounts of shallow tubers, best to find the main hub & scrape & paint along as much as possible.. theres copious amounts of large & small individual tubers fuckin everywhere around a large infestation & they will almost always just keep growing back unless you dig every single last one out.. Maybe in perth climate they aren't as epic as they are here though.

they have enormous amounts of shallow tubers, best to find the main hub & scrape & paint along as much as possible.. theres copious amounts of large & small individual tubers fuckin everywhere around a large infestation & they will almost always just keep growing back unless you dig every single last one out.. Maybe in perth climate they aren't as epic as they are here though.

Nah, not that bad here compared with the tropics!

Going to try get in contact with the owner of the house (since next door is a duplex and both rentals) and see if the owner will go in there and remove as much as he can. Must be private rentals though since both houses are a mess out front and back.. Pigsty almost.

If it is on your side of the fence you have every right to poison what is on 'your' side. If that happens to affect what is on the other side woops.

I have the same weed coming over my fence from the neighbor. Archaeol~ is dead right, you can poison anything on " your side" which is what ive been doing. Sadly it grows back every year!

They are tough as guts. Sometime a good dose of roundup on a 30+ day seems to do nothing ... I normally apply every 2 days for 1-2 weeks.

I have the same weed coming over my fence from the neighbor. Archaeol~ is dead right, you can poison anything on " your side" which is what ive been doing. Sadly it grows back every year!

They are tough as guts. Sometime a good dose of roundup on a 30+ day seems to do nothing ... I normally apply every 2 days for 1-2 weeks.

Turns out my mother used to spray it with glyphosate (I got the house from her) and it just didn't want to die :/

It's bloody quick grower! I cut off about 1.5m of vine about 6~weeks ago and it's already grown back :/

Madness

Speak to your council. If that doesn't work and if you want to keep evidence to a minimum then perhaps you could cut off a tip somewhere and then let that soak into a tiny container of Roundup.

You should also ask your council about borrowing a cat trap off them.

Speak to your council. If that doesn't work and if you want to keep evidence to a minimum then perhaps you could cut off a tip somewhere and then let that soak into a tiny container of Roundup.

You should also ask your council about borrowing a cat trap off them.

Council won't act since it hasn't been declared a pest here in WA. We have contacted the owner of the house next door and hopefully we can arrange for it to be removed

As for the cat issue (which is still on-going) we have a private trap in use since the council ones are always booked out. I have a feeling we will catch another one this week.. Both issues originate from ignorant people next door who don't care.

One would think if their pets keeps going missing (and ultimately being PTS) that they'd get them microchipped and do their best to keep the cat on their property.

^^ KFC chicken pieces are brilliant bait for cat traps. Not fit for human consumption, just feline.

To kill the Anredera you can cut smaller stems, bundle them together with string or an elastic band and place the (very recently) cut ends of the stems in a jar of glyphosate and metsulfuron methyl. This will allow for uptake and kills stems and tubers. You need to do it really quickly after cutting the stems or it won't work well..

good luck

^^ KFC chicken pieces are brilliant bait for cat traps. Not fit for human consumption, just feline.

To kill the Anredera you can cut smaller stems, bundle them together with string or an elastic band and place the (very recently) cut ends of the stems in a jar of glyphosate and metsulfuron methyl. This will allow for uptake and kills stems and tubers. You need to do it really quickly after cutting the stems or it won't work well..

good luck

Will try this if the owner of the property next door doesn't choose to remove the horror weed..

Thanks