The Corroboree
incognito

Help set up my tv/ps3/surround sound

This is doing my freakin head in....

I had my PS3 connected to my tv through the av1 cable, u know the one with the yellow, red and white plug.

I had my surround sound plugged into my to with the hdmi cable- everything was hunky dory. Anyways something came up on my PS3 about the hdmi connection and without reading it I pressed yes :/ now I can only play my PS3 with the hdmi cord, and I can't use the surround sound :( when I try and use the av cord it just comes up "no signal" and it's driving me freakin loopy!!!

Can please some tech head help my tard self.. Skyrim just ain't the same without surround :(

• Like 1

Basically I wanna go back to havin the PS3 to the tv with the av cables and the surround back to the tv with the hdmi cord, back when life was awesome!

• Like 1

Shpuld be in the display settings of the ps3. Pretty sure you can change it from hdmi to av....

Maybe this will help?

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/264/~/connect-ps3-with-av-cable

Start with your ps3 off. Connect the av cable, press and hold the power button until you hear 2 beeps and it will reconfigure the video settings.

We can't let skyrim be played without surround sound!

• Like 3

or maybe give it a bit of a slap

That doesnt seem to work with new technology.... only old stuff

• Like 1

Oh thank fuk! I love u guys! Is there anything sab cannot do??? I actually shed a tear just then :) mwaaa!

• Like 1

Shamanistic I fricken love u man!! I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fricken do! This has gone on for a week I've tried everything! It worked ! I have surround soooounddddddd !! Yay !! I love u sooooo much!! Kisses and hugs and I wish u the most amazing profound luck!! I really hopes something fricken amaze balls happens to you this week!!

• Like 2

Oh dear God this thread is painful.

Please find some other work around... your ps3 should not be played using AV cables, that gives you a horrible resolution.

Seriously use HDMI. Find a way to use HDMI!

• Like 3

Just on another note, if you've got your PS3 plugged in to the TV with a......

Don't worry, distracted basically said what I was going to.

Your best option if you can would be to plug your PS3 directly into your TV with HDMI then run either an optical cable or another HDMI cable from your TV back to your amp. Then everything that plays through your TV can also play sound out of your amp, (in surround sound if the source supports surround), whether that's free to air TV, PS3 games, blu rays or whatever.

Edited by zed240
  • Like 3

That doesnt seem to work with new technology.... only old stuff

Not with that attitude it wont, just slap it harder

• Like 7

I only have one hdmi port :(

plug the ps3 into that hdmi port and if u have an av out setup on ur tv, plug that into ur amp or stereo for audio. or something?? ;p

• Like 1

It will have to do until I get an optic cable, I'd prefer the surround of resolution for the meanwhile. There's only one hdmi port, 2 USB ports and what looks like an antenna port oh and a single little hole that I can connect my av with with another connection thingy that connects the three coloured plugs. As u can see electronics befuddle me I've just never wanted to know. First tv I've ever bought in my life and it's a flash one!

Okay. Turns out I have two hdmi ports. So I've olugged the PS3 and my lg wireless soundbar in. PS3 works fine, still no sound from the soundbar though ? Halp!

• Like 1

Okay so I'll have to use the av leads, to the tv for picture and run hdmi lead from PS3 into the soundbar for sound- for now.

Working all good now just need to get around using the av cables for picture :)

Does your soundbar have a red and white av plug? If so keep the hdmi on as the video and just use the red and white of the av plug for sound as not to compromise resolution.

From the ps3 xmb:

Settings -> Sound settings -> Audio Output Settings and select Audio Input Connector or HDMI, whichever you decide to use for sound.

• Like 1

x] !!!

you guys have me in stitches! :lol:

thanks so much you guys , really needed a laugh like that today B)

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Tis okay I've got the surround working running the hdmi from PS3 to the soundbar, I'll buy one of those optic whosits after work tomorrow and run that from my PS3 to the tv I think that will work, has been a steep learning curve in electronimicals for me :(

• Like 1

yeah some stuff fkn loses me nowadays , after taking decades of pride being able to work anything tv or electricky for the olds too

and they were never fkn grateful :lol:

*casts mind back to the magickal 80s* mmmmmm :wub:

Tis okay I've got the surround working running the hdmi from PS3 to the soundbar, I'll buy one of those optic whosits after work tomorrow and run that from my PS3 to the tv I think that will work, has been a steep learning curve in electronimicals for me :(

Make sure you have an optical output on your TV and that you have an optical input on your amp before you bother to buy the optical cable.

If you plan to leave the PS3 plugged into your amp with the HDMI cable there is no point in buying the optical cable anyway.

Plugging the PS3 into your TV with HDMI will transfer BOTH high def picture and full surround sound to the TV. Then you need to somehow get the surround sound signal from the TV back to your amp. That's where the optical cable comes in, (as long as you have the right plugs on your TV and on your amp). The optical cable only runs sound down it, not picture, which is why you plug it from TV into your amp.

The other option is if your TV has a HDMI out plug (it will be labelled differently to HDMI inputs). If the TV has a HDMI output plug you can plug the PS3 into your TV with HDMI and then use another HDMI cable to run from the TVs HDMI output plug into the amplifier. (as long as your amplifier has a HDMI input, not just the red and whites or optical)

In all honesty you should take a picture of the plugs on the back of your TV and another of the plugs on the back of your amp and we can probably help you a lot better.