The Corroboree
Shamanistic

Moving to NNSW

G'day SABers,

Haven't been around here for a little while but I'm about to move up into the nimbin/mullum/lismore area next week to study permaculture. I met a lot of amazing people through sab living in newcastle and was wondering how many sabers are up that way and would like to meet up.

Goodbye to all my newcastle friends, shame I couldn't see all of you before I leave. I shall return someday, cant get rid of me that easy!

Peace.

• Like 2

Hey Shamanistic :) I'm in Mullum and keen to meet up.

• Like 1

can i ask, Djanbung Gardens?? If so .... lets meet up for coffe :)

• Like 1

I wonder if there's much employment opportunities up there? I know they have a high unemployment rate, but is that because there is no work, or that a lot of dudes up there have lifestyles that contradict the act of payed work, lol?

Really need to find myself a more tolerant community to live in. There's a real hard arse culture here and I've being threatened & pushed out from every direction, lol.

They all think I'm gay because I'm brutally shy around the chicks, don't eat meat, hate football and couldn't careless about loud engines, lol. Doesn't worry me, I go out of my way to make think I am, just because I love being under there skin.

Now there all accusing me of getting on the meth everyday at work, purely to show them up and steal there jobs 'obviously'. Because how else could someone possibly work that hard day in day out. lol, never even touched the crap, a few sugar free red bulls an angry eminem song and a mad bipolar disorder is my only secret, gooses. But an unexplained machine malfunction and a few broken toes later (it was meant to be a crashed foot) I'm starting to get a little worried.

Yep, think I might seriously be heading up to NENSW to live this winter, work or no work.

Prey the death threats were all just one big head fuck and seriously consider moving on pretty damn soon I guess. It's a war I can just not win, I spent every last piece of energy I had trying and it has nearly killed me.

Just a little fella all alone in a wild hard hard town, that has been made quite clear to me I do not belong to. You gotta just laugh it off, yeah? Either that, or just curl up in the fetal position in this big old empty house and just give up all together ,lol.

Such is life.

Subaeruginosin,

One of the things I have loved since moving here is that it's a place that integrates rather than segregates. People from all walks of life are here and your story sounds like others who I've spoken to here. Since you are vegetarian/vegan there is the nimbin food co-op which you can volunteer at and in return get a small discount in return. From what I've seen of the produce there it's either spray-free and/or organic with a lot of the items having low food miles and they've got really competitive prices.

I haven't looked around too much for work but some people who I live with have and there isn't too much. I'd say volunteering at the co-op, chatting to people at the markets and just generally interacting with the locals is your best bet on finding work as opposed to rocking up to a place with a resume.

Other places around with similar vibes to check out would be Blue Knob or The Channon. Went to mullum the other day and really loved the vibe (and the gardens!!) It's a little more suburban than where I am which may suit you better or worse. Byron to me seems to have this show-pony hippy culture, that's not to say that there aren't a lot of great people in Byron but I prefer the vibe out west to there personally. Byron seems to remind me of reasons I really wanted to leave home.

At the end of the day no where is perfect, there will always be elements of a place that you don't click with everywhere but I find in Nimbin this isn't so much of an issue as long as you embrace the diversity in the same way they embrace yours!

Vual,

Djanbung gardens indeed! Check your mailbox :)

• Like 1

The best part of nnsw for me was tropical fruit world and Brunswick heads beach :) oh and fresh prawns!!

• Like 1

Been thinking about making the move from up north to mullum area myself lately...

Now that im recently jobless and my lease is up in a couple weeks i may contemplate an adventure, would be cool to meet you peeps!

• Like 1

What do you plant-head types think of the greater Coffs Harbour region? I've got a strong connection to there, and know most of it like the back of my hand, but besides a young cousin (who's just shaved his dreads to become a loving dad), there's not much I know by the way of local ethno life for someone not in their twenties anymore. My partner and I want to move up north between 2-5 yrs time but need to establish our newfounded careers in Syd first. We love the Byron area too, but it's a helluva lot more expensive for land and a semi-decent house. And also we found that a lot of Byron locals stared at us (the pale cripple and the non-surfie woggy dude) like we had two heads or some shit. Open-minded people?? But having said that it WAS around NYE and festival time... I think we were the oldest people around by an average decade lol.

The land around inland Mullum/Federal/Main Arm is awesomely beautiful, but then so is parts of coffs again... I couldn't handle living in Tweed; if those doddling oldies' hair were on fire, I'd piss on their grey shoes.

No hypocrisy or intolerance here... ;-/

Coffs Coast is great, I hardly ever go much further north when I get away from the city now.

Fuk Coffs harbour ! Fuk it to hell! U couldn't pay me to enter that area.

I liked that little town federal on the northern rivers. I'd move to the tweed Coast tomorrow if it was in any way doable. I couldn't afford to pay the spaz rent people pay up there. I would have to buy.

Why Incog? I wants me some specifics :)

I wonder if there's much employment opportunities up there? I know they have a high unemployment rate, but is that because there is no work, or that a lot of dudes up there have lifestyles that contradict the act of payed work, lol?

Really need to find myself a more tolerant community to live in. There's a real hard arse culture here and I've being threatened & pushed out from every direction, lol.

They all think I'm gay because I'm brutally shy around the chicks, don't eat meat, hate football and couldn't careless about loud engines, lol. Doesn't worry me, I go out of my way to make think I am, just because I love being under there skin.

Now there all accusing me of getting on the meth everyday at work, purely to show them up and steal there jobs 'obviously'. Because how else could someone possibly work that hard day in day out. lol, never even touched the crap, a few sugar free red bulls an angry eminem song and a mad bipolar disorder is my only secret, gooses. But an unexplained machine malfunction and a few broken toes later (it was meant to be a crashed foot) I'm starting to get a little worried.

Yep, think I might seriously be heading up to NENSW to live this winter, work or no work.

Piles of work... Very easy to get work in bigger citys around the small northen NSW villages. ie: lismore is great for work and only 20min from nimbin.

Coffs Harbour brought me to my knees! Well I needed it at the time. Actually come to think of it I really liked Federal on the northern rivers.