The Corroboree
Gimli

Sightings in WA

When will fungi start showing up, April/May?

Will be going for a look around John Forrest National Park.

Maybe even Avon Valley National Park??

It all depends what exactly your looking for I guess. Fungi is a pretty broad term.

Have a look at this site for a start. The survey reports are good for getting an idea of what's growing where.

http://www.fungiperth.org.au

If your after actives then on the most part your a long long way from where you want to be looking. But you'll have to do your own research coz their ain't many folk in WA who will give up their patch.

And whatever you find, DON'T eat anything until you get a 100% positive ID from someone who knows what their looking at, otherwise your fungi hunting career may end up being very short lived ;)

• Like 2

It all depends what exactly your looking for I guess. Fungi is a pretty broad term.

Have a look at this site for a start. The survey reports are good for getting an idea of what's growing where.

http://www.fungiperth.org.au

If your after actives then on the most part your a long long way from where you want to be looking. But you'll have to do your own research coz their ain't many folk in WA who will give up their patch.

And whatever you find, DON'T eat anything until you get a 100% positive ID from someone who knows what their looking at, otherwise your fungi hunting career may end up being very short lived ;)

Thanks Cubism!

Any fungi really. I used to be right into camping and nature when I was a kid and I am getting back to that now, doing more camping trips and bush walking etc particularly down around Pemberton/Walpole and the likes.

I should have mentioned John Forrest and Avon Valley are both close to where I reside (for the most part) so a good place to start :)

Edited by Gimli
  • Like 2

My mate found chants in the Jarrah forests over there including the lilac ones.

boletus badius has been reported from perth region

• Like 1

My mate found chants in the Jarrah forests over there including the lilac ones.

Nice one Zen! You inspired me to do some research. Got a rough idea when n where to look so lilac chants added to this winters SW hunting list :)

One of the shroomery members found morels growing on a median strip in the Perth burbs too last year. Apparently they're in the SW too. Sounds like they come with the pine bark mulch???