The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

fish oil producers have been deceiving the public

as i have learned from my 40 years, if it's made in australia, you can bet it's just shit. this is why i never, ever buy anything from here if i have a choice. I dont make and / or sell garbage, that makes me a unique australian =P you want fish oil? do as the natives do, boil fish guts and drink it. fishing anyone? edit- most people seem to think it's all about omega-3, it's not quite right. you need a synergy with omega-6. something werstern pharmacy forgot, as usual. this is why boiled fish guts is and will always be the best of this type of medicine. nature got it right... supprise.

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1

How about a big spoonful of Norwegian cod liver oil?

Now in Orange or Cherry flavors!

Boiling fishguts....could work in an emergency I suppose..

But seems a bit along the lines of the thread where someone insisted eating animal feces

was the way to survive if lost in the wilderness.

Maybe it works, but......not something I would want to do on an ordinary day,.

On the fishguts....could one just skim the oil off the top, then strain it, maybe?

Also, where is the distinction where nature ends, and we begin?

If we get it right, does that mean nature got it right too?

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

what about a nice big teaspoon of my "cod oil"? now flavor enhanced with cinnamon =P

Hemp seed oil is superior in many ways, not to mention that it has little to no chance of heavy metal contamination if grown organically. Perfect ratio of Omega 3 to 6 btw. :wink:

• Like 4

What annoys me is Australian krill oil producers advertising astaxanthin as a part of their supplements. However, they neglect to inform peole that it is only present in pointless trace amounts. Wilfuly operating under the assumption that their consumers are poorly informed.

• Like 2

What's wrong with just eating fish?

• Like 1

the boiling of fish guts is done by many a shamanic group in South America. for thousands of years.. "where is the distinction where nature ends, and we begin?" hmm can i just say "isolation of compounds" and "in-vitro testing".

The article reminds me of one I read about american vitamin supplements, especially this bit:

"You might think that a more expensive fish oil is less likely to be degraded, that is not the case, there is no relationship with price."

The drug levels in american vitamins were more or less random, tending toward underdosing, with no correlation to price (and some american vitamins are absurdly expensive).

Moral is, never blindly trust a government to be working hard to do their job.

By default assume all products are poorly regulated and rarely tested, if tested at all.

• Like 3

Hemp seed oil is superior in many ways, not to mention that it has little to no chance of heavy metal contamination if grown organically. Perfect ratio of Omega 3 to 6 btw. :wink:

I agree but isn't it an analogue?...close but not exactly the same...I recall the issue re vit b12 for vegans or omega re flax oils that the plant base molecules are taken up by the cells as if they were the animal sourced molecule but that the plant sourced analogue didn't perform as the animal molecule would.....causing a deficiency in the body.

Apparently it can be used continuously without causing deficiency, and is the only edible seed to contain gamma linolenic acid. :wink:

Edited by Responsible Choice
  • Like 2

maybe you guys know something i don't, but i thought western diets, even relatively healthy or atypical ones, contained a glut of omega 6.

word on the street is that a high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio causes health problems.

as for omega three, animal sources AFAIK contain only EPA and DHA while plant sources in most cases only contain ALA, so it's probably worth asking, which of those is my diet seriously lacking? remember a portion of dietary ALA will convert to EPA and a portion of that in turn will convert to DHA.

you could live your whole life as a strict vegetarian without consuming any serious sources of epa or dha, but those around you with more dietary epa/dha to utilise will be utilising it, ipso facto you won't be receiving the rather enormous health benefits usually attributed to just "omega 3's" but many of which actually come from the omega 3's which are rare in plants.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

i wonder if krill oil labelling is any better or worse?

krill are abundant compared to fish, so i have less of an ethical problem with krill oil. it contains astaxanthin as a bonus.

there is a difference in epa/dha ratio, and fish oil is mostly triglycerides while krill oil is mostly phospholipids, so they differ in important ways and it might be worth figuring out which is better for you, or trying a combination.

i have no doubt that both products are contaminated with mercury but since one is near the top of the food chain and one is near the bottom....

Dr. Rhonda Patrick on Omega 3 from Fish oil and Plant base:

T: 2h:10m:40s - Go to this time if you want the Omega 3 details.

Edited by _Cursive
  • Like 1