The Corroboree
sketchykid

Erythroxylum Novogranatense?

Is it due to legality issues that I do not see these Plants and/or berries being sort after or sold on this or other sites in Australia? Or have I just not used the search function effectively?

Ok so the above question is a no brainer but I didn't find any discussion on the plant on this site, or once again I need to look harder?

Thanks Alice, appreciate the heads up!

I should have been more specific, and those links included the var. I am referring to...

I meant to ask about Erythroxylum novogranatense var. novogranatense specifically, Anyone interested in talking about this one may like to contact me via PM if that is ok?

The native "Splityard Creek" variety is also an interesting plant if not for it's natural beauty alone.

Thanks again Alice, I really appreciate your help.

Edited by sketchykid

Legal issues. Even the two (three?) native Erythroxylum are illegal to possess.

All Erythroxylaceae are illegal to possess without a permit anywhere in Australia

That includes the 250+ members of Erythroxylum - many of which do not contain cocaine.

Google and Hansard will confirm that - uninformed "opinion" will contradict. (pick one :wacko: ).

Additionally there are shipping issues - the berries are only viable for a very short period of time. When I've purchased them they've been express shipped in damp sanitary pads. If they arrived within a week they were viable or already sprouting. Over a week and they're expensive compost.

Novogranatense is reliably available for sale over the internet (no sources to be posted on the forums).

HINT: growing it was a major industry in Australia - and in what was Java and nearby.

It'd be interesting to hybridize with the native varieties - which, despite a lot of psychotic bullshit, do not contain cocaine or useful precursors. Yes, at a stretch you could produce very small amounts of cocaine from the roots of one of the natives - but the equipment and processes involved would yield you far better returns from Datura (and probably easier and cheaper to just go the fully synthetic route).

NOTE: I'm not advocating synthesis (nor will I discuss it here) - quite the reverse.

G.

Edited by Girl Shiny
  • Like 1

Hi GS, thanks for the response - So judging by the above, despite the legalities this is likely a common plant in the collections of those in the Ethnobotanical community. Nice.

I'm surprised (But then again not so surprised) to hear even the few natives going around are illegal to possess without a permit as you have pointed out - absolute head shaker.

Legal issues. Even the two (three?) native Erythroxylum are illegal to possess.

wrong. They are only illegal in certain states. Actually, I think it is only NSW.

All Erythroxylaceae are illegal to possess without a permit anywhere in Australia

Wrong again. States have various laws, with NSW being the toughest. Most [all?] other states only prohibit the species that contain cocaine.

There is also no restriction under federal law for species that do not contain cocaine. The Psychotropic substances act only applies to cocaine containing species, and the Criminal Code Act does not prohibit any species, but lists cocaine [and anything that contains cocaine]

That includes the 250+ members of Erythroxylum - many of which do not contain cocaine.

Google and Hansard will confirm that - uninformed "opinion" will contradict. (pick one :wacko: ).

How about you provide a reference rather than some arrogant condescending statement about an issue you apparently know little about!

Additionally there are shipping issues - the berries are only viable for a very short period of time. When I've purchased them they've been express shipped in damp sanitary pads. If they arrived within a week they were viable or already sprouting. Over a week and they're expensive compost.

This is true for novo and coca, and probably some other species, but does not appear to apply to the native species. Germinations have been documented on these forums for seed that was several months old, and one of my contract growers had germination of australe 9 months after planting.

Novogranatense is reliably available for sale over the internet (no sources to be posted on the forums).

Since when do you make the rules. Sources are fine to post here as long as the source is legal and Ok with being publicised.

HINT: growing it was a major industry in Australia - and in what was Java and nearby.

Java is well documented, but the claim about australia seems to surface regularly with no evidence. Do you have some evidence of that claim? I am genuinely interested and it would be great if you posted at least some accurate information in this thread.

• Like 5

Thanks for your input Torsten, appreciated as always, and great to see SAB/Corroboree still going strong BTW!

Keen on some, can u send to Brisbane? Trade ya something?! Does shaman Australis sell coca seeds?

Edited by Grundle Sailor
trying to keep it civil

I found a source for the live plant fairly easily. The leaves are apparently pretty nasty to chew, but -

"The roots of E. australe contain Dihydroxytropacocaine and Methylecgonidine which are likely to be active."

Has anyone had any experience with the roots of this plant?