The Corroboree
Fenris

World’s Largest Indoor Farm

I found this really interesting.

http://weburbanist.com/2015/01/11/worlds-largest-indoor-farm-is-100-times-more-productive/

"The statistics for this incredibly successful indoor farming endeavor in Japan are staggering: 25,000 square feet producing 10,000 heads of lettuce per day (100 times more per square foot than traditional methods) with 40% less power, 80% less food waste and 99% less water usage than outdoor fields."

Wow the future of farming?

• Like 5

Holy Guacamole!

All that lettuce will be appreciated when we send Stephen Hawking, et al, in search of habitable planets :)

Yeah this is definitely the future. Solar powered would be good! As would using treated sewage as the base nutrient solution.

Next step would be to actually breed some nutrition into the lettuces !

its refreshing to see such development (even though personally I'd prefer to eat food grown the old old fashion way)

but it means that maybe in time farm land can be re-forested & the new farms can inhabit the cities

• Like 1

Currently, the process is “only half automated. Machines do some work, but the picking part is done manually. In the future, though, I expect an emergence of harvesting robots. For example, a robot that can transplant seedlings, or for cutting and harvesting, or transporting harvested produce to be packaged.”

I for one welcome our lettuce-harvesting overlords..

• Like 1

This here's also a crazy efficient vertical farm minus the L.E.D lighting but + some crafty ideas. A clear direction for agri to go I think.
00:40 - 01:00 for a good jist

Edited by LUWA
  • Like 2