The Corroboree
Brendo

Chilli fruits rotting upon & before ripening

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, alot of my chilli plants seem to be aborting their fruits, alot of the fruits are rotting from the inside out. This is happening mainly on green fruits. The ones that make it through to ripening start rotting after turning orange but before turning fully red. This has only started happening in the last few weeks, and also a few different types have been affected and a few others seem fine :/

Any ideas? Am I watering too much? Feeding too much?

Thanks.

Sounds like blossom end rot, usually caused by calcium deficiency (but also excess nutrients, excess watering, etc.).

• Like 1

Could it possibly be some kind of virus or infection?

Edit:
Alright well i just had a quick Google and it seems like it is probably blossom end rot!!

Edited by jwerta

I'll hold back on watering for the next week & see how we go. Sucky thing is looks liks it's raining the next few days too.

Sounds like blossom end rot, usually caused by calcium deficiency (but also excess nutrients, excess watering, etc.).

I'm with The Explorer on nute deficiency being the main reason. Seeing the problem on capsicums here this year too, some years are worse than others for it

Also seeing a lot of sunburn on the sides, which also presents as rot after it sets in

I need to get back to foliar fertilising as it's stopped the problem previously: 10ml/L molasses, 2ml/L Charlie Carp and 2ml/L Seasol in a sprayer, top up to volume with water and apply early morning or late evening. Cheap and effective

I've got a bad case of flower drop on my moruga scorpion and 7 pot. In exactly identical conditions my black oyster and but jolokia is fruiting fine.

Have tried pollinating by hand, different watering cycles and different ferts, trace elements etc and haven't seen any change.

Could this also be due to nute deficiency?

Fruit flies possibly? My habanaro's had problems with fruit flies. Made all the fruits rot and drop off.

I've been fertilizing them with seasol perhaps once a fortnight. Is this not often enough during summer? Yeah cubism weird huh? My bolivian rainbow is the only thing powering through. All other fruits incl capsicums are rotting and falling off :(

I've got a bad case of flower drop on my moruga scorpion and 7 pot. In exactly identical conditions my black oyster and but jolokia is fruiting fine.

Have tried pollinating by hand, different watering cycles and different ferts, trace elements etc and haven't seen any change.

Could this also be due to nute deficiency?

My Bhut Jolokia is the only pepper in my garden which isn't podding, but they are a naga and prefer cooler weather and won't pod until it's cooler.

Do you cut back on watering when it comes into flower?

I went from daily watering to every other day and my plants are podding hard!

My Bhut Jolokia is the only pepper in my garden which isn't podding, but they are a naga and prefer cooler weather and won't pod until it's cooler.

Do you cut back on watering when it comes into flower?

I went from daily watering to every other day and my plants are podding hard!

Yeah think over watering was the problem in the end. Was watering 2-3 times a week. Stopped for a week an now the moruga scorpion looks to be making a fruit.

*** Apologies for hijacking ya thread Brendo. Am shutting up now :) ***

• Like 1

Also be aware that full sun in the Australian summer is usually too hot for most Chinense varieties - they will do much better in part shade. I've had great plants in even full shade.

• Like 3

Fusarium wilt is rife through my plots ATM, have had to solarise and ditch almost 100sq mtr of produce. Not that that's what your describing, but a moderate case can manifest looking like a nute deficiency and the stress of the plants can lead to end rot. The season had been perfect for it to pop up even if it's been dormant for a few years

I'm no pro but that's just some observations from the current season!

Can you upload a picture?

No need Prioritise, I seem to have been overwatering also, have held back for a few days and new fruits are looking healthy :)

Bummer about your losses too mate! :o

Edited by Brendo
  • Like 1

I've been fertilizing them with seasol perhaps once a fortnight. Is this not often enough during summer? Yeah cubism weird huh? My bolivian rainbow is the only thing powering through. All other fruits incl capsicums are rotting and falling off :(

Seasol is more of a soil treater than a fertiliser, look into getting a proper fertiliser and continue to use seasol on the off weeks.

• Like 1

Any noticeable difference in your chilli plants yet ?

Yeah think over watering was the problem in the end. Was watering 2-3 times a week. Stopped for a week an now the moruga scorpion looks to be making a fruit.

*** Apologies for hijacking ya thread Brendo. Am shutting up now :) ***

I am now watering every 4 days. Plants are loving it

Fruit flies dude...

Are they full of maggots? Check one of the ripe ones.

My Paprikas are currently being annihilated by them, but they do tend go away when the hot weather finishes.