The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

Trichocereus tulhuayacensis

I found this excessively small photo of a plant claimed to be Trichocereus tulhuayacensis at http://oreopanaxperu.blogspot.com.es/, but question it's accuracy since T. tulhuayacensis has been described as coming from Peru, 10 km from Huancayo, near Huacha in Junín region, which is in central Peru east of Lima, though on the east side of the Andes. oreopanaxperu states that the plant in their photo comes from the Distrito de Yunga in the Moquegua Region of far southern Peru. I'm not sure what to think of this and simply thought to share.

post-19-0-19902800-1420853372_thumb.jpg

I know there are other posts that touch on this species, but thought maybe if others wanted to share more about the species or their particular plants they could do so here.

Here's a plant from Junín that I have suspected may be T. tulhuayacensis.

post-19-0-07316300-1420853651_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 3

SacredSucculents Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2 Date:12/29/2014 4:40:33 PM Pacific Standard Time Trichocereus tulhuayacensis KK337 Red flowered peruvianoid. 6" cutting $28

Sale Price $22

Michael, why dont you query Ben as to the source of the plant he is offering cuttings of?

I think his Plant comes from knize and it´s the KK Plant from Knizes List. Which is probably authentic.

From Backeberg's Cactus Lexicon:

T. tulhuayacensis Ochoa (1): Bo. to 2 ash., branching from low on the Bo., with a short trunk, dark green; branches to 12cm 25; Ri. (7—)8(—.9), to 1 cm h., to 3.5cm br.; Ar. to 8 mm long., yellowish at first, then grey, surmounted by a curving depression, prominences sometimes reddish; Rsp. 8, 1.5—2.5 cm long.; Csp. 3-4, to S.5cj8) cm long.; Sp. mostly directed downwards, longest one more porrect, whitish-grey, otherwise yellowish at first, dark-tipped; H. fairly large, stoutly funnelform, light pink, ivory-white towards the throat, with black and greyish-brown H.; Fr. 4.5 cm 25, dark green, with brownish H.; S. glossy, black. —Peru (10 km from Huancayo, near Huachac, 3400 as).

From Sacred Succulents website.

Trichocereus tulhuayacensis KK337 (B13): A very spiny upright peruvianoid from Huachac, Peru. A cutting was given to us by a friend who had gotten a small piece from Knize in Lima, Peru for $100! It was said to have red flowers, which seemed unlikely. We were pleasantly surprised when the plant finally flowered in 2008, with a bizarre red, pink and white mottled blossom. This is our very first offering of this unusual variety. Get one while you can.
6″ cutting $28 (limited)

Here's some comments and pictures of T. tulhuayacensis by Evil Genius.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27570&p=299565

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Hi Michael, it´s possible that Trout gave it to them after he made a pretty big Plant order from them. I think i remember that he was injured pretty badly by his KK337 because it fell off a Rack. It has Killer Spines and i still cringe when i think about that Story.

question it's accuracy since T. tulhuayacensis has been described as coming from Peru, 10 km from Huancayo, near Huacha in Junín region,

Is it possible the plant has several sources of origin, one being discovered by one person, the other by another person?

Is it possible the plant has several sources of origin, one being discovered by one person, the other by another person?

Possibly, but maybe not likely as the two locations are separated by some 1200 km.

~Michael~

One of the more interesting and mysterious plants in the complex.

I wonder if we can breed something similar with the right genetics...?

Yes. 100% sure! Yes we can and unlike when politicans say it, this is the truth! ;) We will breed some awesome flowers in the next few years.

• Like 1

Perhaps I will go and visit the location near Huancayo! Anything else I should look out for while there?