The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Strontium Dawg

Named Bridgesii clones vs other trichs

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but there seems to be a very large number of bridges that are singular enough in appearance and form to be named. In contrast, there seems to be very few pachanoi and peruvianus named clones.

Is bridgesii naturally more variable in form than the others? And if so, why? Do you think there has been a larger number of specimens distributed that were grown from seed whereas pachanoi has been spread more through vegetative propagation?

Or maybe pachanoi and the like have more of a history of human selection and breeding therefore are more stable in form?

Or maybe we just have a habit of whacking on a name for any bridge that looks slightly different?

It puzzles me that the terscheckii complex also seems quite variable in form yet we don't give them pet names like bridgesii.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Glaukus

I know it's a quagmire when we start the name game, I've read so much discussion of "is it a short spine peruvianus or a pachanoi, is is a macrogonus or a peruvianus, is it a peruvianus or a cuzcoensis..."

Maybe I'm completely off track and bridgesii is actually more consistent in form, so much so that we only append cultivar names instead of new species?

Edited by Glaukus

Hi Guys, please do not make this about Potency, though I understand why you would mention it in this particular Case. That being said; i feel like many Seedgrown Bridgesii turn out to be very typical and i can´t really say that i have found them to be very variable. There are some Clones that mostly vary in Spine Lenght and there are some Monstroses and Semi Monstrose but i personally gave up on growing them from seed if it´s not a certain type; simply because the seed grown Plants were textbook examples of a typical Bridgesii and i am more interested in Variability. But there are Excemptions to this too. I know a handful of pretty unique Bridgesiis but I still prefer to grow Peruvianus because there is much more variability.

• Like 2

:)

Edited by Change
  • Like 2

Ok, apparently i was not clear enough in my Post! Next One mentioning Magic will take a break for a couple of Days.

Maybe bridgesii get more clone names than pachanoi or peruvianus, cuz they grow way more faster from seed to adulthood? Well at least that's my experience. So it's faster to see the mature characteristcs of bridgesii grown from seed rather the other 2 species.

I only named 2 individuals in my growing years; my 1st pachanoi which I named Zeus. I bought Zeus back in 2005 and it was the only trichocereus I found in my country (I also found melted wax bridgesii and a taquimbalensis). However, it's still debatable what Zeus is, some said its a pachanoi, others said it could be a cross including a pachanoi, and "bit" identified it a T. Argentinesis.

post-6382-0-71551400-1420387938_thumb.jp

The other trichocereus I named is a seed grown "Equadorian pachanoiXPsycho0", which I named Zebra.

post-6382-0-29233900-1420388177_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-71551400-1420387938_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-29233900-1420388177_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-71551400-1420387938_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-29233900-1420388177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philocacti