The Corroboree
FragmentedSanity

taking plants interstate.

Hi all,

quick question, im in the process of movung from Victoria to Queensland. Im wanting to know what the rules are about taking your plants interstate.

Im mostly only interested in keeping my cacti. They arent anything special, mostly just trichs that I've been growing for years. Sourced from glamouous pkaces like bunnings and kmart.

Ive started by taking cuttings to make them more manageable.

Other than that there are a couple of common succulents with sentimental value.

Are they any issues with quarantine crossing the borders with cacti? If so would I be better off to send the cuttings by post, and just leave the rooted parts behind?

Or is it all just too much of a drama and I should just start a new collection when i get there.

Ive also got a few ephedras id like to keep if I can, but they seems a bit fragile to stand up to travel, and seem a bit hit and miss when it comes to transplanting. Likley better off to try and source more seed when I get there for those... but any tips would be appreciated. Actually, I think one set a few seeds this year for the first time. better check them and see if they came to anything.

Like I said, my collection isnt that extensive, or anything particularly rare or valuable to anyone but me. But I like my cacti, and ive dragged them everywhere else ive moved for many years, so im kinda attached to them. (Someone recently stole 2 big cuttings off my oldest, which id planted out in my front yard. In some ways im glad I never found out who did it. I was... lets just say "quite upset". Im sure you guys here would understand.)

Anyway, im hoping to take as many of them wih me as I can, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

put them in your car/truck and drive that's my rule

Wow, you've been a member for 15 years and are member #30, nice to meet you! You don't post very much do you :P

Not sure about quarantine issues sorry.

But in terms of prohibited plants, if this link is up-to-date

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_reg/dmr1987256/sch2.html

then it looks like the ephedras are not allowed because they are classed as Schedule 2 Dangerous Drugs under the Drugs Misuse Regulation. I'm not sure about the trichocereus/echinopsis, I can't see them listed but they contain a prohibited drug (mescaline is listed) so I'm not sure what the go is there, hopefully someone else can clarify. Lophs are on the naughty list but maybe trichs are OK, but I'm really not sure sorry.

Good luck with the move, Queensland seems like a pretty nice place to live.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 2

LOL. Nice to meet you too Alice

Yep thats me, lurker extraordinaire!

I check back fairly often, but im not too big on posting, but this community has been a great source of information over the years its often been really helpful. The lessons I learned here have kept me safe all these years, especially through my more adventurous times.

Sometimes I get a feeling, hey havent checked SAB for a while, so I log in and Bam. Right there, brand new topic with the answers I was looking for, or discussing ideas I was having, or plants id been thinking about in a trade.

love this place. Its been amazing to watch it grow, even if I stick to the fringes.

im likley to get back into the forum on a more regular basis. The move to qld will finally give me some space out of town, only an acre, but its a start. But its more about lifestyle change, and getting back to the things that are important. Ive spent too long living in places I wasnt happy, doing jobs I dont like, just so I can pay the bills and repeat the process.

Bullit, the stick em in the ute and drive is the current plan. Just wondering whati can expect if I hit quarantine inspections, and how likley the inspectons are?

also, if anyone has been through quarantine inspectin, just how thorough are they? If ive got a ute load of crap packed up, are they going to want me to unpack it all and open every container for them to inspect, or would it just be the box their sniffer dog identified? At least im assuming that they have sniffer dogs looking for plants.

• Like 1

Ephedra are easy to move. If in pots then just dig around the roots with enough soil to cover and put em in a freezer bag. Make sure they are a tad moist. And pop a few breather holes. Thats how I moved mine

• Like 1

Only bag the roots and soil I mean. Not the whole thing. And tape around the base to keep it all tight

My post deleted because I haven't read the legislation

Edited by Darklight

u got bannna ? lol no dog or human robot can tell the difference between sudo grass and a tricho .

your spinnin out

anywho ya chances of beening pulled over and check is fuck all just don't take the tourist route from Byron to nimbin/goldcoast kkk

• Like 1

Yeah go newel. Will be sweet

Cheers people.

I'm probably a little bit paranoid. Just like to cover all my bases.

Ive had dogs searching for fruit before (Yes, really thats what they were looking for. Had dogs search for other stuff too, but the ones at he fruit fly check points used to find most any kind of plant you had) in nsw and vic... basically id hate to have to unload the whole ute for a few cacti if plant quarantine officers are like nazis in Qld.

But it sounds like im over thinking things again. Ill just drive em up, and maybe stack em in a box on top just incase the worst does happen.

you may as well stack em deep. if they do stop & search you and find something early on they are not going to stop there you know.

You will still get a full shake and rip, just with more justified vigour & enthusiasm.

LOL. Nice to meet you too Alice

Yep thats me, lurker extraordinaire!

I check back fairly often, but im not too big on posting, but this community has been a great source of information over the years its often been really helpful. The lessons I learned here have kept me safe all these years, especially through my more adventurous times.

Sometimes I get a feeling, hey havent checked SAB for a while, so I log in and Bam. Right there, brand new topic with the answers I was looking for, or discussing ideas I was having, or plants id been thinking about in a trade.

love this place. Its been amazing to watch it grow, even if I stick to the fringes.

im likley to get back into the forum on a more regular basis. The move to qld will finally give me some space out of town, only an acre, but its a start. But its more about lifestyle change, and getting back to the things that are important. Ive spent too long living in places I wasnt happy, doing jobs I dont like, just so I can pay the bills and repeat the process.

Bullit, the stick em in the ute and drive is the current plan. Just wondering whati can expect if I hit quarantine inspections, and how likley the inspectons are?

also, if anyone has been through quarantine inspectin, just how thorough are they? If ive got a ute load of crap packed up, are they going to want me to unpack it all and open every container for them to inspect, or would it just be the box their sniffer dog identified? At least im assuming that they have sniffer dogs looking for plants.

I drive interstate every week, Brisbane to Nimbin and the quaranteen place is never open, actaully it was only open once and they only where calling threw large trucks, and by every week i mean everyweek for years.

Take the tourist rout i do...... Only ever been pulled over once and that was on the same day as mardi grass outside of nimbin town funny story cause the sawp turned up negative and i was stoned as fuck.... just goes to show.

15 years member 30 we have a legend amongst us!!!

Edited by vual

Cheers Vual,

Dont know about legend status, but ive been here a while thats for sure, usually very quietly :) legendary lurker maybe!

Thanks for the heads up on the quarantine station. Was hoping i was being overly paranoid!

Hoping i get to make the trip soon. Damn house isnt selling... Im itching to get into the new place and get the garden going, not to mention havent seen the other half in a couple of months now - she's there by herself trying to look after an acre block, and im here with all the furniture trying too keep this house looking good so someone buys it... seem to have it backwards as far as our usual roles go!

Anyone wanna buy a house? :D

I don't know how far into Qld your going, but drive inland dude. Head to Tocumwal on the vic border, then though parkes and armidale and then all the way though to qld to where ever it is you need to be, you won't get any hassles from quarantine that way.

Word to the wise though, don't pull over on the side of the road late at night if you have an alternative appearance especially around central northern NSW, you will almost certainly be harassed and searched by the police and they will try to pin you for anything they possibly can.

Anyway..... good luck and just relax, crank up that music and have a little fun with it, it's a beautiful drive and it all just comes down to fate anyway, no point worrying about it, lol.