The Corroboree
Girl Shiny

ID Please (pretty please)?

Question

Dried out, damaged mushrooms (and mostly washed out photos). But if possible I'd still like an ID.

Dried_NDamaged_NTasty_Looking_00.jpg Dried_NDamaged_NTasty_Looking_01.jpg Dried_NDamaged_NTasty_Looking_02.jpg Dried_NDamaged_NTasty_Looking_03.jpg

G.

9 answers to this question

Was checking out Bolete species yesterday, and saw something similar, now can't find it Were they local to you and found recently?

Get a spore print, take one on white paper and one on black. Add them to pics, it helps

FungiOZ app has a wider section on bolete ID than Fungimap. There's also an ID app for iPhones iFungi AU, but it's not ported for Android yet and I haven't tried it

Also grab the Hunter Catchment pdf, it's handy for phones or tablets and is an excellent guide

http://hunter.lls.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/516807/guide-to-common-fungi-hcr.pdf

Both suggest it could be Strobilomyces sp. tho your cap seems to be a different colour. Not a lot is known about Australian boletes apparently

Thanks for the reply.

Was checking out Bolete species yesterday, and saw something similar, now can't find it Were they local to you and found recently?

Bolete's are my favourite edibles - which is why I posted the pics. Local (it's a neighbouring property I'm hoping to buy), and found the same day I posted the pictures - I'll be back there next week (after three days of predicted rain). The owner is selling the lease due to infirmity, but I've been agisting there for a few years so I have free access.

Get a spore print, take one on white paper and one on black. Add them to pics, it helps

I hope to next week - if it rains. I left those ones in place but I took a soil sample for analysis - I have similar geology on my lease, and similar vegetation.

FungiOZ app has a wider section on bolete ID than Fungimap. There's also an ID app for iPhones iFungi AU, but it's not ported for Android yet and I haven't tried it

FOSS Programmer != iPhone "fan" :wink: (nor a fan of 'squint-o-vision' on any platform!)

I do have actual computers though, and a netbook I usually carry when fungi hunting. On this occasion I was riding and seed collecting so I was limited to phone pictures (I stripped out the Exif data before posting for obvious reasons - it's private land). speciesfungarum is also good - but I prefer/am used to(?) working with keys than working with photos. mykokey is great, the QLD mycological society also have some good information,

Also grab the Hunter Catchment pdf, it's handy for phones or tablets and is an excellent guide

I've got it (and I'm no where near there). What it covers it covers well - but there's a lot that it doesn't cover. I suspect that's for the same reason members of my local "fauna group" won't map psychotropics (some even apply fungicide to those areas they deem unworthy). (sigh).

Both suggest it could be Strobilomyces sp. tho your cap seems to be a different colour. Not a lot is known about Australian boletes apparently

Thanks - I suspect you are correct. I suspect I mentioned that those photos were washed out... To get to them I had to lift branches and the sunlight screwed the photos (cheap Android camera). The photo of the small, fungus infected, one is more representative of what the mature specimens looked like - a light chocolate brown. If you looked at the full size images you'd have seen they were titled "tasty looking". :)

I do still have the high-resolution originals, including some macros showing the spores on the cap of the larger mushroom. I might put them up later if I don't find more after the next rains - or get distracted by other hunts for B. edulis at some other likely location around here.

Kind regards, G.

• Like 1

Love the QLD mycological society link, I didn't have that one. Nice writeup in there in the Ganoderma key section, the local ones have been fascinating me for a few years

If you got a pic of spore colour or spore print for the OP sp, could you please post it up here to assist with other's searches in future?

Lazy question for bonus points: what software do you use to strip out yr exif data? I tried a few, they were clunky. Want something for Mint which strips exif data only. And mebbe something similarly streamlined to check/ confirm

Edited by Darklight

Lazy question for bonus points: what software do you use to strip out yr exif data? I tried a few, they were clunky. Want something for Mint which strips exif data only. And mebbe something similarly streamlined to check/ confirm

For CLI - exiv2

Installation: apt-get -y install exiv2

CLI use: exiv2 -v rm $File (removes all Exiv data from $File)

KDE ServiceMenu use:

$ cat ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/copyrightimage.desktop[Desktop Entry]Type=ServiceMimeType=image/jpeg;image/tiff;image/pngX-KDE-ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/PluginActions=copyrightImage[Desktop Action copyrightImage]Name=Embed copyright notice in imageIcon=image-jpegExec=YEAR=`date +%Y`;COPYRIGHT=`kdialog --menu "Select a copyright notice:" -- "Copyright Example $YEAR. All rights reserved. Example Services trading as Example - [email protected] ABN:example" Example "Copyright Shiny Girl $YEAR. All rights reserved. [email protected] ABN:example" "Shiny Girl"`;exiv2 -M "set Exif.Image.Copyright $COPYRIGHT" %F

(provides a right-click Add Copyright Information option to images with Dolphin).

For forums either:-

GIMP -> Save for web... -> JPEG -> Strip Exiv (apt-get -y install gimp gimp-plugin-registry gimp-data-extras)

or Gwenview -> Plugins -> Images -> Metadata -> Edit all Metadata (apt-get -y install gwenview kipi-plugins)

For general image collection management - DigiKam (apt-get -y install digikam kipi-plugins kipi-plugins-common)

• Like 1

Woohoo- thanks for this Girl Shiny!

Turns out my GIMP install was so old it didn't have Save for web

Tried Gwenview a while ago, like years, and it wasn't functional for me.

Updating OS and software now

Edited by Darklight

GIMP -> Save for web... -> JPEG -> Strip Exiv (apt-get -y install gimp gimp-plugin-registry gimp-data-extras)

Nup. updated OS and up to GIMP 2.8.10 and it doesn't have that for Mint/Ubuntu. I'll check 2.8.14, what version are you running?

Way off topic, normal transmission resumes. I got some lovely bolete shots locally last week and I need to ID

• Like 1

Nup. updated OS and up to GIMP 2.8.10 and it doesn't have that for Mint/Ubuntu. I'll check 2.8.14, what version are you running?

Way off topic, normal transmission resumes. I got some lovely bolete shots locally last week and I need to ID

Debian (not an unstable repackaged derivative, or a unstable repackaged derivative of a unstable repackaged derivative :wink: ). Stable with Backports.

gimp -vGNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.8.2git-describe: GIMP_2_8_0-194-ga42a02eusing GEGL version 0.2.0 (compiled against version 0.2.0)using GLib version 2.32.4 (compiled against version 2.32.4)using GdkPixbuf version 2.26.1 (compiled against version 2.26.1)using GTK+ version 2.24.10 (compiled against version 2.24.10)using Pango version 1.30.0 (compiled against version 1.30.0)using Fontconfig version 2.9.0 (compiled against version 2.9.0)using Cairo version 1.12.2 (compiled against version 1.12.2)
dpkg --get-selections | grep gimp | cut -f1gimpgimp-datagimp-data-extrasgimp-gapgimp-help-commongimp-help-engimp-lensfungimp-plugin-registrygimp-texturizelibgimp2.0

Try:-

apt-get -y install gimp-plugin-registry

If that fails Try this

(this probably belongs in "Privacy/how not to broadcast your identity, details of your phone, or where you took pictures")

G.

• Like 1

apt-get -y install gimp-plugin-registry

Worked a treat, I checked it with Package Manager to see what was in it, is a bunch of useful plugins

Geez it stripped 10kb of EXIF data off a simple 300kb Wikipedia image, that's a fair whack... wonder what was in there? I'm gunna default to using it all the time

Thank you so much- that's fantastic help