The Corroboree

Which one should pick the lock to the Graft chastity belt?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Always been a grafter ... in most things, 'cept grafting plants to ... other plants..

The skills on SAB I keep reading through have wet my... er ... appetite :innocent_n: so badly that I flicked the:

"need to learn how to graft" switch... from optional to: mandatory or die :P

thank you SABbages!..., you beauties!

I had bought some Pere'zgallery_14443_758_534488.jpg in march ....but somehow I want to start with brand new, nice fresh ones since i "tested" a few outdoors .... and in the GH for winter.... so to avoid any possible spidermite risk : ... just in case...

......... I will probably grab some more at a close-by: later date .....

I'm still at the stage where my myrtillocactgallery_14443_773_321655.jpggeometz are kinda far too pretty to go under the knife

so pere'z will probably score the opening goal... if there's one to be had..

After viewing a link philogenius posted http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37643#entry453955to watardo's grafting vid...:

I fell in love with the stackability of those plastic tubs ,..

which are readily available all over round here.. for cheapness...

and I've used them before for other nature-venturesmed_gallery_14443_762_325045.jpg raising a toadlet ...before upgrading to a vivarium....

gallery_14443_762_702289.jpg

This vivarium, now vacatedgallery_14443_791_513340.jpgsadly after losing me old toad, was going to be used to germinate some Virola ....,

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=791

but that's starting to look less likely to happen;... than grafting some cool cactlets is....

plus it has mesh top as ventilation and a polycarbonate top to keep humidity as an option...

I dnno whether to go with watertrade's "Video SpaceBox Tek"

or use the viv/ "Old Toad Tek" first ,

.....and then hit up the spacebox tek in future ventures...

what do you reckon?

-edit- also I bought this funky kit with those pere'z back in march

post-14443-0-22291700-1419297982_thumb.jpost-14443-0-36830600-1419297985_thumb.j

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

think I'm gna collect grafting vids for bigger idea pooling too =]

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmxdaMPX2wA

oh yeah ...

*must hunt info*

will add to here when found..

in the meantime anuthr vid

• Like 1

thanks H! thats the one!

love it, ... it fukken rawquez

wooohooo! finally a source with temperature indication :worship:

shopping list :

tights/hoes/stockings

vaseline ;)

some rubbers

maybe gloves too

roll of tape

makeup "wands" for later "pollinating"

*smoothes imaginary moustache*.... hmmm

maybe I'll finally get round to using some coco coir for the pere'z ...

just in case of nasty bastages like sciariad fly

GRAFTING
What you will need:
Razor Blades - if you buy the ones here cut them in half so you double up the number of razors you have.
Pantyhose (definitely not new because you will be cutting it up)
Tape (I use electrical as I use the colors to hep me keep track of what I grafted)
Parchment Paper to use as a clean surface (Most grocery stores will have this in the baking isle if not wax paper is fine)
99% Rubbing Alcohol for sterilizing razor blade (Can be Isopropyl or Ethanol but I don't use either)
Seedlings
Pereskiopsis sp.

Here is the video.

This should give you an idea of how to do it.

What I have used time and time again is small squares of pantyhose. It is very simple actually. Once the vascular rings overlap you must carefully put pantyhose over the scion and then pull it down to ensure some downward force on the scion. You do not need much downward force and trying to apply too much will likely make you drop the scion. If the fresh cut on scion gets dirty you must cut it again to ensure a clean surface for grafting. Then you just lightly tape the pantyhose around the pereskiopsis. I usually only take off 1 or 2 sets of leaves the just tape gently over the other leaves if such case occurs.

And no I do not use a humidity chamber or a dark room. I don't have tons of room the cacti do fine healing at night time. I wait a week before removing the pantyhose and water them once I remove the pantyhose. I would say I have a 80% success rate and higher than 90% if you take out my attempts with columnar cacti which I have a bit more trouble with.

I seriously don't mind walking you through my tek since you have been so helpful with understanding the growth of other enthnos.

Also I think parafilm is useful for the bigger grafts like a larger sized globular cacti onto a wider diameter columnar cacti since the film acts a bit like a humidity chamber. I am happiest using pantyhose though because it is pretty much free and if you check shoe stores they often have these socks made of pantyhose material which they throw out. You just toss a bunch in the wash and then use the use them. A few shoe places around here have given me some when I asked.

I miss your toad by the way.

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 1

Thanks Dox :) , I'd like to have a bash at it free hand first

and then maybe ask for more instructions later if I get stuck... just me I guess..

hopefully this trail I leave will help other's in future who were too scared to try grafting like I was :)

and I miss her too but I definitely wouldn't try keeping another unless I was an expert ... and I can't see that

happening... I will say this though ,...

I believed the many bits that said "the easiest toad to keep as a pet" , when I was trying my best to swat up on how to keep one for years n years ....

before getting an opportunity to have one as part of the family...

...so my bad, I should've known better than to believe a uk pet supplier -.. goodness knows it was hard finding

ethical aquatics stores...

plus... sick of losing good people I love anyway now ... at least plants can be regrown and cloned x]

and grafted to other plants...

found this link with some nice info to add to the thread too

http://pereskiopsis.com/

and a cool impale graft vid

ok today i went out into the garden and found 2 nice long pereskiopsis on the floor

I must have dropped them one night a few months ago and not noticed, so theyre definitely frost hardy :innocent_n:

.. they looked kinda nice - a lot nicer than the ones in the GH-

so i soaked them in cold, then luke warm water....

while disinfecting a bunch of square pots ready to go for whenever.

then i gave them a luke warm shower ... pretty much got them down to bare root

flicked the kettle on and cut open a block of this coco coir shit people keep raving on about...

got a bowl, added some boiled water to some coco and fluffed it up , very little mess...infact virtually zero... nice

stuffed 3 pots, sliced a pere' and dipped in rooting gel and in one of the pots...

then potted up the rootballers in the same way pretty much and transferred them to the Yukutlan

(my rain forest box)post-14443-0-53288700-1419555251_thumb.jpost-14443-0-32719900-1419555363_thumb.j

maybe I won't have to buy any more , but I still might...

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

does anybody out there use bridgesii for grafting stock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhyS-pCrcY4

• Like 1

Bridgesii isn't very good for grafting stock IME.

Bridgesii isn't very good for grafting stock IME.

Why not? I've used it a couple of times, it was OK, definitely better than Myrtillocactus. But I have never used pachanoi, so can't compare it with that.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2014 at 5:00 PM, Berengar said:

Why not? I've used it a couple of times, it was OK, definitely better than Myrtillocactus. But I have never used pachanoi, so can't compare it with that.

I love Trichocereus pachanoi for grafting seedlings5a8b575c1ed9c_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii87.thumb.jpg.2bfd2c9dfac205e6467be6b22bf5db08.jpg. 5a8b57615c73d_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii88.thumb.jpg.d39fc003a1f4254674791be2884dc178.jpgMy preferred method is to use parafilm and or co-ban to graft, but I've also used string etc.

Great videos on grafting all in one place. Thanks for finding and sharing!

5a8b575c1ed9c_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii87.thumb.jpg.2bfd2c9dfac205e6467be6b22bf5db08.jpg

5a8b57615c73d_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii88.thumb.jpg.d39fc003a1f4254674791be2884dc178.jpg

5a8b575c1ed9c_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii87.thumb.jpg.2bfd2c9dfac205e6467be6b22bf5db08.jpg

5a8b57615c73d_TrichocereusscopulicolaxT.terscheckii88.thumb.jpg.d39fc003a1f4254674791be2884dc178.jpg

• Like 1

Found this how to graft video for your perusal. I've actually used this method and while it works... I'm still a sucker for parafilm versus tape. Simply put, anywhere you see tape being used in a graft.... substitute parafilm and things will be ohh so much better.