The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
earthalchemist

Want List :)

if you've got these i'm willing to lick between your dirty hippie bare-foot toes for them smile.gif

Lithops optica var Rubra

Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Pedicularis groenlandica

Pedicularis bracteosa

Scutellaria nana

Bombax malabaricum

Morinda citrifolia

Guest jessie

i think (forgive me if i'm mistaken) that i spotted several silk-cotton trees (B. malabaricum) in the chinese gardens when i was there last week wink.gif In the back, left corner, behind the waterfall. a big sign that says "Bombax malabaricum"... but maybe i dreamed it...

if i'm right, they'd probably let you take seeds or cuttings. the lady i spoke to there was very happy to let me eat as many persimmons as i wanted (i only wanted one).

i remember reading that Bombax malabaricum has been used for lots of different purposes but the only one i can remember is 'weakness of the genital organs' ??? wink.gif

Guest mulga

You should've mentioned it while you were up here as I could've got you a Morinda... not sure if they do individual plants but daleys nursery might have some http://www.daleysnursery.com.au

cya

i spotted several silk-cotton trees (B. malabaricum) in the chinese gardens

yep i've seen that one ... actually that's the *only*one i've seen ... you know me, i really want to grow this one from seed

i remember reading that Bombax malabaricum has been used for lots of different purposes but the only one i can remember is 'weakness of the genital organs' ???

LOL smile.gif ... i *really* had no idea, honestly wink.gif

mulga ... thanks for the link ... and it's www.daleysfruit.com.au if anyone else is interested

Hmmm... that Bombax malabaricum, is that a tree that has woody seed pods (like a huge pea pod) about 10-15cm long stuffed full of white fluffy silky, woolly, downey stuff that you could use to stuff pillows if you wanted to? (actually thought of doing this because its really nice and soft)) I know where a tree of the above description is but I don't know its name. Could be another Bombax maybe? Its just a stab in the dark. You might want to grow this one anyway. Might be able to start up an environmentally friendly, organic pillow making business. If it sounds like the one, I can get you heaps of seeds because there are quite a few growing around the place up here in Cairns. I would be willing to go and collect them and send em down for a trade.

i've never seen the seed pods, but it's pretty easily identified by the thorny trunk.

i'd love some of that seed anyway if you can get some, especially if you can get an id.

email me with what you're looking for smile.gif

Guest reville

theres one in kings park botanical garden

never seen seed though

cool tree huh

Hey Earthalchemist,

I've finally got into town and found the tree i mentioned growing on the esplanade of cairns. it had been a while since i saw it dropping seed pods around the place and i hoped it was still doing so. Luckily, there was ONE seed pod left on a branch about 20 ft in the air. The trunk was practically unclimbable so i looked around for something decently heavy to throw up and knock it off. After about twenty gos i knocked it hard enough to bring it down. The species if i remember correctly is Chorisia speciosa in the family Bombacaceae. I think that's the correct spelling for Chorisia. I didn't have a pen to write it down but i know the rest of the species name is correct. Its native to Brazil and its common name is Floss-Silk Tree. So if you want it, i've got one seed pod, including silk and seeds. I don't know anything about the best way to propagate these trees. I don't even know if the seeds will be viable. They look perfectly healthy and they look pretty tough like they would last a fairly long time. I can send them down if you like. I don't know if its a good idea to send the whole pod without putting it through quarantine which is a pain in the arse. I can just put the seeds in a box so they don't get squashed. Some seeds i would love are belladonna, mandrake, some varieties of datura or brugmansia or maybe some tobacco seeds (oh, or maybe some seeds for Erythoxylum novo-granatense if you have some (hardly a fair swap)). As you can see, i like the solanaceae. I want to leave the garden of this rental place full of amazing plants that make the next tenants think 'whoa! check that out!!' but i'll have to put some signs up saying 'WARNING: DO NOT EAT THIS PLANT!'. Of course that might be like a red cloak to a bull for some people around here. I think i might put in a diviners sage and a sign saying "SPECIAL SALVIA - LAYING DOWN RECOMMENDED - COMBINE WITH BABY WOODROSE (AROUND THE SIDE)" No. perhaps those plants don't need the publicity. I'll just leave out the signs for woodrose and salvia. Anyway...

You can email me if you want to let me know what you want to do.

Lots of love,

Fractalhead.

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 01 May 2001).]

Chorisia, most probably. There is a Chorisia speciosa in the Bombacaceae that has been used as an ayahuasca additive (as has the related species Chorisia insignis). The English name is Floss-silk Tree. In Brazil it is the Paina de Seda (= kapok of silk).

Ceiba pentandra (also from the Bombacaceae) is also used in ayahuasca and in a recipe to revive the dead of the Yoruba of West Africa.

Thanks theo, you beat me too it smile.gif

Yeah, I looked up the tree in some books, and you are quite right. I had a feeling it was Chorisia not Corisia and Floss not Cotton. Thats interesting it has been used as an ayahuasca additive. Might keep a couple of seeds for myself wink.gif

Which parts to they add do you know? I wonder if they use the fluff for anything. I swear they could make great cushions out of it. I'll fix my profile so its got my email addess on it. Sorry about that. I thought i put it on when i joined. I'll email you soon.

for now, my email address is: [email protected]

cheers,

Fractal