The Corroboree
Scarecrow

Cheap/simple greenhouse ideas?

Anybody know of a cheap and easy way to make a modestly-sized greenhouse? I have a certain vine that's wildly outgrowing its sticks, cling wrap and plastic bag humidity tent. Must be more than a meter tall and looking quite healthy, but it needs more space to stretch out. All my plants are in pots for now (in anticipation of moving house in the relatively-near future), in case that affects suggestions.

Also, post your greenhouses to inspire us :D

I knocked one up out ta temporary fence panels I got for free...

Every time I go to bunnings and see the bamboo poles there I get a craving to build a greenhouse out of them. I don't have the space though and due to physical limitations it'd be a pain in the ass. Happy creating though!!

How much are you willing to spend? You can make a decent one for a few hundred that will withstand heavy wind/hail (essential IMO).

Try skip diving on job sites/housing projects to get bits of 50mm x 50mm / 50mm x 75mm / 50mm x 100mm timber and nails.

Built this for under $400 from scratch. Windows and locking doors. Its 3m tall x 2.5 x 3post-14497-0-14398400-1417507049_thumb.jpost-14497-0-67434100-1417507075_thumb.j

post-14497-0-14398400-1417507049_thumb.jpg

post-14497-0-67434100-1417507075_thumb.jpg

post-14497-0-14398400-1417507049_thumb.jpg

post-14497-0-67434100-1417507075_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice 3rdi looks sturdy as not like the bunnings crop. There is a 2m by 2m walk in at bunnings but still made out of those crapy plastic poles the mini greenhouses are. Building is the way to go Imo

I actually found a decent greenhouse ages ago at bunnings, at least the frame was a decent steel in the classic polytunnel shape. Got it for half price like $100, covered it with my own better plastic it will last for years after dyna bolting it into the cement

I made a sizeable glasshouse (6m x 2.5m x 3.5m) almost entirely from recycled windows and wood. Only cost about 1.1g and is ridiculously strong, has withstood several cyclones and major storms completely unscathed. Plus it has a totally awesome rustic ambiance and woody glow. No skills or experience...or research. I just did it. It was actually super fun and rewarding to build, very glad I didn't just buy some crappy kit set, plus it seems everyone who has had one of those has had major/fatal problems with them in the wind.

• Like 2

When I was still in Texas I had to build greenhouse protection for overwintering cacti and tropicals each year.

It works fine using regular polyfilm but the covering will have to be replaced every year or two as the sun makes it brittle. In Texas 6 mil does not last any longer in hte sun than 4 mil when using the normal material. Real greenhouse skin with UV protection will last 5 years or even longer so is worthwhile for a permanent structure.

I would typically make a 2x4 box frame, cover it with an inner and outer layer of plastic and add a few light bulbs for heat and a fan for moving the heat around inside. Not that pretty but cheap, easy and it always worked great even for tropicals. I would usually make a large one for tropicals that shared a wall with the house and a couple of smaller free standing ones for the cacti. My only losses were tender tropicals located along the edges during times of power failure when the heat distribution ceased. Even a single fan can make a lot of difference.

• Like 1