The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
oatis

pereskiopsis lighting hours ?

hey there ive recently chuck some of my pereskiopsis cuttings under a fluorescent light whats the best lighting hours to put them on ? can they stay on for 24 hrs a day or is 12 hours of light better ?

cheers :lol:

I would say anywhere between 12-18 hours is fine the more light the more they'll grow... I've been staying at around 15 or 16 hours.. I bump it up for the winter to offset heating but now its warm out again lol whats most important is the brightness... with them growing directly under high output tubes, they grow about perfect size for seedling grafts imo but they can get too thin with any less light than that or if they run out of food so make sure the soil stays rich and moist but don't over do it... I have tried under several light scenarios and they grow okay with regular flouros and ALOT of reflection material but for regular grafting the best ones were right under the high output tubes (HOt5's)... it gets pretty warm with grow lights in a closet, mine need watering about every week or so but they're also in small containers, and if I want them to grow alot I feed them lightly at every other watering... of course when they are just getting started they don't need as much watering

Sorry if you didn't want that much info I just think its all relevant with this plant... although very easy they respond mostly to lots of bright light
and regular feedings once established (or very rich but decently draining soil)... im not sure that a 12 hours cycle would be bad but i'd go more than that.. being that they are from near the equator they probably appreciate more light hours per day

Edited by Optimystic
  • Like 1

cheers optimystic perfect reply can never have too much info at all.. all information is helpfull ... yeah think ill go with 15 hrs . i only have them under a lowish wattage flouro so maybe i need to look at upping my lighting