The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Good from Evil: MDMA Analogue Treats Parkinsons

While the media has constructed an evil monster of Anton Köllisch's creation. Despite many papers written about it's potential benefits the substance has always been seen as a detriment to society. People suffering from Parkinson's disease would argue otherwise often finding salvation in the Schedule 1 drug. Obviously the benefits of freedom from their disease outweigh the risk of imprisonment in jail. Parkinson's sufferers have been known to see benefit from Leva-Dopa but this benefit is greatly increased when the person takes MDMA. A university in one of countries most opposed to designer drugs took note of this and researched the molecule. In 2012 the University of Western Australia created the alpha-cyclopropyl analogue of MDMA named UWA-101. The alpha-cyclopropyl dramatically reduces affinity for the noradrenaline transporter and 5-HT2A receptor targets, while retaining high serotonin transporter affinity and markedly increasing affinity for the dopamine transporter (and as such, it is one of the few selective SDRIs or serotonin-dopamine reuptake inhibitors)[WIKI]. The molecule retains or has slightly improved benefit in reducing severity of the dyskinesia individuals with Parkinson's suffer. As an added benefit it seems the substance has no cytotoxicity and may even be useful against Burkitt's lymphoma.

Journal article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22345403?dopt=Abstract

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 6

go australia thats awesome news!! hopefully it will be used ASAP, didnt read the whole journal but the trials must of been pretty good, must have a read

thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I wonder if they also could use it for adults suffering from dopamine deficiency or other related illnesses such as ADHD or anxiety too. I know ive never felt my anxiety disappear as quickly as it does on molly..

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

Good from evil? Sounds more like good from good!

• Like 1

Wow, I heard they were working on this, never expected them to succeed.

Unlike MDMA, UWA-101 did not reduce viability of serotonergic cells, exhibit psychoactive properties, or reduce food intake, and did not substitute for MDMA in drug discrimination assays.

Now if only they could come up with a psychoactive version, we could stop neurotoxicity in Parkinsons patients and ravers.

I'll be really curious to see if UWA-101 inhibits TNF as well - probably have to wait another decade or two for that answer though, there don't seem to have been any updates since this 2012 article.

• Like 1