The Corroboree
zed240

Passiflora ID

Question

Hello,

I've had this growing in my garden since I bought the house. It's extremely vigorous and is overgrowing a number of things including one of my veggie beds. I have though a lot about ripping it all out but thought I should get an ID first and make sure I want it all gone.

I have googled a few things and think it may be passiflora caerulea, (but am absolutely unfamiliar with these plants except for eating the odd passion-fruit bought from the shops). I have only seen a small orange fruit on this plant once, last year. Lots of flowers, bugger all fruit on this plant for me.

And if it is passiflora caerulea, can anyone suggest any possible things people use this plant for other than aesthetic appeal?

Thanks!

post-13830-0-48723700-1415770749_thumb.j post-13830-0-04940900-1415770750_thumb.j

post-13830-0-48723700-1415770749_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-04940900-1415770750_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-48723700-1415770749_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-04940900-1415770750_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

You might get more fruit if you pollinate each flower yourself, no idea on an ID though

looks like incarnarta to me?

Looks quite different to incarnata to me from pics I can see....

No other thoughts from people?

I'm no expert but looks like and sounds like from the orange fruit to be caerulea like you suggested zed.

Read somewhere a tea made from the flowers is good for stress/anxiety relief but not sure where I read it or the accuracy of that info so dont take my word for it :)

Looks a lot like Passiflora caerula and yes it, like many other Passiflora, does make a sedating tea. One can however use the entire plant to make tea but the flowers are tastier and even eating 3 of them might result in something. The rinds of the fruit can also be used so no need to kill a perfectly good flower. It even adds more color to ayahuasca. I am not sure if I am permitted to explain the alkaloid content.

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ showed me a picture so that is how I knew. Edited by doxneed2c-me

Looks a lot like Passiflora caerula and yes it, like many other Passiflora, does make a sedating tea. One can however use the entire plant to make tea but the flowers are tastier and even eating 3 of them might result in something. The rinds of the fruit can also be used so no need to kill a perfectly good flower. It even adds more color to ayahuasca. I am not sure if I am permitted to explain the alkaloid content.

Thanks Dox, interesting stuff. I'm certainly not left wanting for flowers, this plant is pretty huge so there are plenty of flowers to chose from. I think I should try and do more research then. I may end up trying to make a tea at some stage.

its a nice smoke too ,the sort that you only really need one of... and its enough

just allow it to dry fully - aired off , - cyanogenic glycosides

its also harder than a coffin nail as far as cold is concerned

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ