The Corroboree
Pokkahontus

Popcorn method

Does anyone know the difference in benefits between diatomaceous earth and gypsum?

diatomaceous earth is primary silica based,

gypsum is more of calcium based,

Yeah i know thats the case.. But the benefits/outcomes of using either one or the other with substrate to colonise?

The Diatomaceous Earth is used in grain to keep weaves and shit out of it, it is super tiny particles that are sharp and cut any really small organisms and it kills the fuckers. It is used instead of fungicides. Gypsum is used as an additive to get bigger yields and bigger mushrooms. Use to much gypsum and your substrate will go as hard as concrete - go easy on it. Two totally different animals, DE is used for growing pot as well to fuck up pests instead of using miteicieds which keeps it organic if you are going for organic buds.

I should have added the DE is added to the grain before you buy it so grain can be stored, my lat post is a bit fucked up. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Yeah i use it on all my veggies to keep away slugs and snails... :)
barriers around all my plants and veggies!! amazing stuff.. Along with copper wire too :)

so pretty much to sum it up... diatomaceous earth just keeps bugs out of your colonizing jars yeah?

Gypsum and DE have no similarities in purpose to each other in this regard?

Yeah i use it on all my veggies to keep away slugs and snails... :)

barriers around all my plants and veggies!! amazing stuff.. Along with copper wire too :)

so pretty much to sum it up... diatomaceous earth just keeps bugs out of your colonizing jars yeah?

Gypsum and DE have no similarities in purpose to each other in this regard?

Nah :) the DE keeps weasels and shit out of the grain when in storage before you buy it, if it was not in there wheavils and other bugs would eat it and fuck it. Once you put the grain in the jars the preasure cooker then kills any spores such as mould and it is sterile so nothing will grow in it. You then add mushroom spores, Liquid culture or whatever you are useing and off it goes and colonises the jar.

To quote RR

"Gypsum is pH neutral while supplying calcium and sulfur, both of which are essential minerals the mycelium uses. It's not just about clumping grains either. You'll grow bigger and nicer mushrooms with gypsum added to bulk substrates than without."

• Like 1

Was wondering if anybody has had any success with the coles brand wbs or budgie mix...I mean the stuff with added shell grit?