The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gr33ntea

Pereskia grafts showing some hope

Hello i remember asking and was told that Pereskia grafts are either not possible or there is no advantage to it.
To test the theory I did some grafts a few days ago and to my surprise they did not shrivel and die.

Pereskia is more ancient than pereskiopsis, it grows and looks like a tree and does not resemble a succulent or cactus at all

I can't think of any advantages woody pereskia has over succulent pereskiopsis for grafting but I am curious of the growth rate. (Most likely will be slower than pereskiopsis.

The pereskia here is Pereskia Aculeata Godseffiana and the scion is some trichocereus seedling

Pereskia Graft

Pereskia Graft

Pereskia Graft

Edited by gr33ntea
  • Like 2

neat....I wonder if it would work the other way around...I'm having differculty growing some species of pereskia from seed...problem is the seedlings have large leafs and tiny weak stems.

It is a interesting experiment but I think its so woody to stick fine the scion . Succulent tissues perhaps doesnt deal well with normal tissues of pereskia.

Edited by sascacheuan

neat....I wonder if it would work the other way around...I'm having differculty growing some species of pereskia from seed...problem is the seedlings have large leafs and tiny weak stems.

I grew mine from a cutting, sound like a bad evolutionary for pereskia lol, have you tried cutting the leaves?

I got my one under a grow light.

its just 1 of a few seeds that sprouted ...its 60mm high ..only has a few wee leaves...got it on life support with bottom heat....hopefully it will make it...but the next few days are touch & go...LoL

Usually if i do not connect the vascular rings of seedlings they shrivel and die while still attached to the scion.
These ones haven't shriveled and died. They are still rock hard. And they have been in my greenhouse where it is hot and would certainly dehydrate it if the graft weren't successful.
So i guess now i just wait for it.

But it is possible so you should experiment as well if you curios.