The Corroboree
gr33ntea

Why did my grafting stock cave in? :(

I made some grafts on very fresh tips, i sterilized and everything and when i placed the graft on it i taped it down but not too tightly

I then put a plastic bag over it, sealed it up a little and placed in my shed in the shade.

For some reason they have caved in, the scion is perfectly ok, i even regrafted them. But why did my grafting stock (Trichocereus Pachonoi) do this?

Strangely i had opuntia grafts in the same conditions and they did not do the same. They were in the shed for 2 days.

post-12761-0-46590400-1414138377_thumb.j

post-12761-0-16220200-1414138396_thumb.j

post-12761-0-75553000-1414138412_thumb.j

post-12761-0-67776900-1414138428_thumb.j

post-12761-0-46590400-1414138377_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-16220200-1414138396_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-75553000-1414138412_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-67776900-1414138428_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-46590400-1414138377_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-16220200-1414138396_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-75553000-1414138412_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-67776900-1414138428_thumb.jpg

Does the rest of the stock feel soft at all? If so i would say that the stock was too dehydrated to begin with. But it is hard to say for sure

I had the same happen with some freshly cut sticks...but they were heavy with recent rains.....when the root stock is that big/wide it may be better to place the scions (if small seedling cuts) on the outside, then when it collapses in, the scions will be fine. Fresh pups don't seem to sink quite as much in that way (but even with them I have had some sinking).

If the scion is large...........I found it sunk less the 2nd time when I cut 20 - 30mm of the sunken top off. Which you can do 1st eg cut the top off, let it sink for a week or so, then cut some more off

Looks like you may have left the plastic bag on a bit long, I'm not sure what others would suggest, but I take the plastic off after 3 - 4 days....& keep it out of the sun for several days.

Edited by Dreamwalker.

I am going to try it again without the plastic bag, i honestly though the graft would be super successful because the grafting stock was very fresh and well watered... how i was wrong.

Did you keep yours in a humid environment? My scion is too big unfortunately.

You might have applied too much pressure for a stock that juicy. You could try with superglue, very high success rate without the need for either humidity or pressure. Just press the scion, apply the glue all around the edge and hold it for a minute or so until the glue hardens. And that's it, it can then be placed immediately outside.

• Like 3

In my experience I have found that humidity isn't necessary when you are grafting onto trichocereus. It just causes rot for me. But I use cling wrap and a peg with peres grafts and it helps alot. But like dreamwalker said, I only leave the plastic on for 3 or 4 days otherwise rot can be a problem

• Like 1

the inner flesh always settles, make your scalloped cuts on the stock a bit bigger/deeper

Edited by .dg
  • Like 1

Probably kept it humid for too long. Plus some germ within the bag or the collection. Bacteria and Molds are everywhere and Cacti deal with them pretty well most of the time. But if you cut them and if the conditions are good for Infections, chances are you get them on a couple of plants at once. Would decrease the Time you keep em under a bag or completely get rid of that part. Like it was already said...you usually don´t need humidity for most Grafts. Just pressure.

I don't use humidity with trich grafts like that. They don't seem to need it and I think it's more harmful than helpful. Maybe that contributed? The only thing I do to stop them from drying out is put them in dark for 3 days and then shaded light for 2 weeks then it's out to it's normal spot after that.

Edited by hostilis

I will take your advice, my next graft on juicy stock will just be super glue and no pressure, plastic bag, sticky tape

Probably kept it humid for too long. Plus some germ within the bag or the collection. Bacteria and Molds are everywhere and Cacti deal with them pretty well most of the time. But if you cut them and if the conditions are good for Infections, chances are you get them on a couple of plants at once. Would decrease the Time you keep em under a bag or completely get rid of that part. Like it was already said...you usually don´t need humidity for most Grafts. Just pressure.

Should i sprinkle some sulphur dust on it to make sure the mold/fungus wont destroy it?

I agree with everyone that the humidity isn't necessary for these large grafts, but the reason they failed is because the bevel cuts on the sides aren't getting all of the flesh you need to cut off. You also need to cut off V's between the ribs at an angle, just like the ribs. The skin doesn't sink in at all when it begins to dry out, leaving rim with a sunken center that just pushes the scion off and forces it to fail. I've circled what needs to be removed as well:

post-14425-0-21175900-1414210888_thumb.j

post-14425-0-21175900-1414210888_thumb.jpg

post-14425-0-21175900-1414210888_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Myeloblast! That will be very helpful. Will post my results of the grafts i did yesterday, tomorrow, to see if it caves in again

Over fed stock.

I just water pach/trichs for a season before grafting. Ive only ever experianced this issue with high ferted stock.

• Like 1

Over fed stock.

I just water pach/trichs for a season before grafting. Ive only ever experianced this issue with high ferted stock.

I gave mine plenty of fertiliser :(

NOOOOOOOOOOO, what should i do? Change soil? I got these sold ball granules that slowly release fert

NOOOOOOOOOOO, what should i do?

why dont you start creating symbiotic relationships with your cacti instead of whacking them up & forcing them to unnatural growth parameters.

try doing nothing for awhile, 'cept talking to them & giving them positive vibes

and ask yourself this question....if you had no internet, would you be clever enough to find out what works for you? :wink:

• Like 2

why dont you start creating symbiotic relationships with your cacti instead of whacking them up & forcing them to unnatural growth parameters.

try doing nothing for awhile, 'cept talking to them & giving them positive vibes

and ask yourself this question....if you had no internet, would you be clever enough to find out what works for you? :wink:

I removed the solid balls of fertilizers, i removed the plastic bag, that is as much as i can do, i think the biggest problem was the plastic bag humidity.

I guess it is trial and error at this point, i just wanted to be sure cause it will be a while until i got more scions to graft. Will post results tomorrow

You're hurting the cacti gr33ntea!! How dare you! Cacti have feelings too!

Ok well without a plastic bag they do better. The grafts 2 were successful while the big ones 1 were not successful. Thanks for the tips guys, i am glad i have a fighting chance now.

IMG 20141024 183431

IMG 20141024 183427

Edited by gr33ntea
  • Like 1