The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gr33ntea

What is special/different about the super pedro

Hello i was just wondering what is super about the Super Pedro (Trichocereus Scopulicola)

Is it super because it grows fast? I am just very curious how it got the name Super,

Sorry for this noob question i actually searched on Shaman i couldnt find the information.

Also the website www.trichocereus.net helped me a lot. Thanks Evil Genius.

Pictures of Super Pedro http://trichocereus.net/super-pedro-trichocereus-scopulicola/

​Edit: i am growing the seedlings as well. I just made a graft of it on pereskiopsis.

Edited by watertrade, no discussion regarding potency please.

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 2

EG might not be so happy about one of your questions in this forum.

Just sayin, read the rules...

It's fat.

A hybrid but more pach than scop I reckon, like a really fat pach.

A nice cactus, flowered the same season I planted a cutting. First time that's happened for me. And also my first cactus to reach nearly 4m in a pot! (It's a big pot.)

Edited by Alice

They are very fat, I don't know where they sit in the species argument but consider somewhere between the love triangle of pachanoi, scopulicola and cordobensis.

One of mine has started pupping giant pus at about the 7 foot height. In time it will topple over so I will need to cut the pups off.

Ahhh so let me get this straight its unique characteristics that make it better than a normal San Pedro are

* It is fatter
* Flowers more
* Grows faster
* Pups bigger?

I believe I read somewhere on this site that the name came from a guy with a large and varied Trichocereus collection, and that this plant was just so much huger and fatter than all pachanois in his collection, and he called it 'Super Pedro'. And it supposedly grows much faster once it establishes itself.

All I can say is, it makes some wonderfull hybrids, especially when it's genetics are dominant.

• Like 2

There's nothing particularly 'super' as such.

It's just a lot bigger and looks pretty cool, especially if you're only ever used to looking at PC.

• Like 1

That sums it up. Thanks a lot guys. I just made another graft of it.

I also have neglected T physcho0 X T Scop seedlings doing alright, they are 2 mm tall, i think i will graft them aswell.

personally, i think its totally disingenuous to refer to super pedro as scopulicola, clearly an effort to recognize it as such when clearly (imho) it isnt.

just another made up clone name, more than likely a hybrid

not knocking trichocereus net, but what are its qualifications on plant (trichocereus) naming?

• Like 4

wasn't it referred to as trichocereus cordobensis?

or has that fallen out of fashion?

imo it doesn't resemble scop very much, perhaps in the fatness but that's about it

Is SuperPedro a clone ?

Who was the original breeder, where did it come from?

• Like 1

Is SuperPedro a clone ?

Who was the original breeder, where did it come from?

Yes, it's a clone from a nursery in Strathmerton, VIC, called Cactus Country. The owner calls it Super Pedro and sells it. Hence the name. He reputedly just says it's a "hybrid".

• Like 4

personally, i think its totally disingenuous to refer to super pedro as scopulicola, clearly an effort to recognize it as such when clearly (imho) it isnt.

just another made up clone name, more than likely a hybrid

not knocking trichocereus net, but what are its qualifications on plant (trichocereus) naming?

I thought it was a hybrid of Trichocereus Pachanoi PC I was surprised when i saw Trichocereus Scopulicola in the name for Super Pedro

I have a rooted midcut 4 sale with a 30-40cm tip cut attached

PM if you want a super pedro in your collection

Worthy of note...

It has a tendancy to grow nice and blue in full sun wo greenhouse... something most wont do. They just green up in open elements.

Less scop more pach for sure!

Really pleasant looking plant imo.

Years ago I don't recall people thinking it was a scop hybrid - not sure when that idea started..

The T. cordobensis similarity was pointed out by MS Smith or one of the Americans, who sourced T. cordobensis from Mesa Gardens and noticed similarity..

Initially people thought maybe it had more inner beauty than a typical pachanoi, but I believe that is no longer the perception of some people..

Sure makes some beautiful hybrids - I've grown out both SP x Psycho0 and SP x J3 and they're looking great over at Zelly's and another friend of mine's.. Grew out some Scop x SP and the reverse as well but I gave them all away - that cross grew slower than the other two I mentioned..