The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Total lunar eclipse to glow red across Australia

Total lunar eclipse to glow red across Australia
  • 1 day ago October 06, 2014 12:03PM
267017-53d24c92-4cf5-11e4-b6e4-edc180f5f

The total lunar eclipse will be more spectacular than the one in April, astronomer Alan Duffy said. Picture: NASA. Source: Supplied

IT’S big. It’s red. And it’s coming to a night sky near you.

On Wednesday night Australians will get the chance to witness a total lunar eclipse that will turn the full moon a deep red colour for an hour.

Astronomer Alan Duffy of Melbourne’s Swinburne University of Technology said the eclipse will be much more spectacular than one that was visible in Australia in April.

“This one will be the real McCoy,” he said.

“Australia is the perfect place to see the long lunar eclipse experience, weather permitting, and we will see that distinctive blood red colour.”

267045-324d2524-4cf5-11e4-b6e4-edc180f5f

The partial total lunar eclipse above Geelong in April. Picture: Kaylene Stocks Source: Supplied

A lunar eclipse occurs when the earth gets between the sun and the moon, casting a shadow across the moon that causes it to turn a blood red colour.

“It’s like all the sunsets around the entire earth shining on the moon. I love that description,” Dr Duffy said.

“The atmosphere bends the light from the sunset around and gives the moon that red colour.

“Without the atmosphere, the moon would just be dark (during a lunar eclipse).”

West Australians will see the total eclipse but will miss the entire passage of the earth’s shadow across the face of the moon because the eclipse begins before the moon rises over WA.

Lunar eclipses occur at least twice a year, but lunar eclipse lovers can expect seven to occur in 2038.

WHEN TO WATCH (local times):

NSW/ACT/VIC/TAS: Eclipse begins 8.15pm, total eclipse 9.25pm-10.25pm, eclipse ends 11.35pm. QLD: minus one hour for all times

SA: Eclipse starts 7.45pm, total eclipse 8.55pm-9.55pm, eclipse ends 11.05pm. NT: minus one hour for all times

WA: Moon rises at 6.19pm, total eclipse 6.25pm-7.25pm, eclipse ends 8.35pm

http://www.news.com.au/national/total-lunar-eclipse-to-glow-red-across-australia/story-fncynjr2-1227081267533#itm=newscomau|news|nca-news-plmnt-trending|1|section-news-national-southaustralia|story|Deadly%20party%20drug%20floods%20streets&itmt=1412658577442#itm=newscomau|news|right-now-in-|0|Total%20lunar%20eclipse%20to%20glow%20red%20across%20Australia|story|Deadly%20party%20drug%20floods%20streets&itmt=1412658577452

• Like 8

Had to be mid week though didn't it... :unsure::blink:

so what? i'm gonna be several dried grams all up in that eclipse. i didn't know that thing about the moon being brightest on the edge of the eclipse, maybe that's the reason that the re-illuminated moon appears so spectacular to dilated pupils lulled into a false sense of darkness.

clear skies in WBville....look to the heavens folks if you gave a clear view :wink:

• Like 1

Looks pretty cool from here :) I saw the last one too, definitely worth a look if you have a clear sky and are in the visibility zone.

• Like 1

I must recommend watching one of these somewhere with tons of microbats hunting overhead. They seem to land and chatter a bit during the darkness and resume the slaughter as soon as that sliver starts glowing again. Plus when else are you gonna sit around watching microbats except when you're catching a show on the firmament?

I thought a lunar yeti was lurking by, eavesdropping my sick tunes and observing my unhumanly antics. Turned out to be a lunar antechinus.

Pretty sure the yeti lost interest after I stuck with one style for four hours.

so sad, i was at work and when i finished clouds were covering luna :(